Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Besides Pop?

Gilbey

One of the Regulars
I'm a Coke addict. I grew up with it and have stuck to it ever since. I never drink any kind of pop except an occasional Sunkist Orange. I always have my Coke for lunch and dinner, but now it has to stop. I was wondering what the loungers have as beverages with their meals? Is it wine? Kinda expensive. Coffee? Milk? Tea? Maybe V8 is what I was thinking (what a far cry from Coke) lol

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Orange Juice! Or water. Or Skim Milk. That's all I drink, aside from the ocassional beers every so often.

I actually don't like soda and haven't drank it since 1994. One of my co-workers noticed and said "Amy, I never see you drink soda!" I said "I don't like it." Then she rolled her eyes at me as if she was jealous [huh]

S

Samsa

Water. At most, I'll have a can of Coke once a week. Now that I've cut down on pop, I've lost over ten pounds in the last two months. I'm sure exercising has helped, but pop remains one of the leading contributors to obesity in this country. Not to mention the fact that it rots your teeth.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Another Coke drinker here -- no diet, no caffeine-free, no cherry or vanilla or lime or any of that other stuff, and no Pepsi EVER -- just plain Coke served over chipped ice. But I'm reasonable about it -- I usually have a glass with lunch, and maybe one at work (one of my job perks is free Coke from the fountain, but I don't abuse the privilege.)

I don't have Coke with breakfast though -- instead, I have cranberry juice. They put me on it when I was in the hospital a few years ago, and I got to like it. (They also put me on prune juice, but I did NOT develop a taste for that!)

Josephine

One Too Many
We drink water here with meals, the only reason I have milk in the house is to cook with and the occasional cereal. I am NOT a Pepsi drinker, too sweet! I do drink Diet Coke Lime when I get a hankering for it, and at night Diet Coke Caffeine Free. I tried regular Coke a day or two ago and ug! Too sweet for me now the way Pepsi is too sweet. I wonder what Pepsi would taste like know that I'm used to Diet Coke? :)

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I have a theory that they never took the cocaine out of Coca-Cola--there's got to be a reason why it's so addictive! I'm with Lizzie--none of this diet nonsense, it's got to be Classic or nothing.

With meals I usually just have water, except if I go to a local restaurant that has the best fountain Coke I've ever had. It's bottomless too--I'll go through 3 or 4 glasses in a meal. I rarely go there though, drinking that much Coke at one sitting would not be a good routine to get into.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Water, Iced Tea, or Propel for me mainly. Aside from that, maybe four alcoholic beverages a month.

I had a soda last night for the first time in probably a couple of weeks. I don't miss it as much as I thought I would, and now when I have one (preferably regular classic Coke, or a nice Root Beer) I tend to appreciate it and enjoy it a lot more.

Ecuador Jim

A-List Customer
I've tried to back off from all cola drinks; diet or regular. I read a recent report that even diet sodas can affect your heart and waistline. So, I try to limit my cola intake to a six-pack a week. My ultimate goal is to drop it to one a week.

My salvation here has been a really great iced tea. Expensive alternative, but I really like them. Here's a link: www.barnesandwatson.com.

After I purchased a Brita water filter, I find water to be as good as coke, or whatever.

The side benefit is that I've also lost weight just changing beverages. I had heard that diet sodas could still allow you to gain weight. I never believed it, but I dropped a quick ten pounds. Plus, iced tea has anti-oxidants.

Lots of reasons to switch off the cola beast!

carter

I'll Lock Up
Water, unsweetened iced tea, or black coffee (cold or hot). I drink a lot of coffee, Kona Blue when it's in the house or Folger's Breakfast Blend. No restaurant or fast food coffee ever. Occasionally a mix of 1/2 Red Bull and 1/2 iced tea. An occasional Dr. Pepper.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
For the past year Pepsi had a line out called 'Pepsi Jazz.' It was Diet Pepsi mixed with strawberry flavoring or one mixed with caramel creme. I drank that stuff like it was going out of style...and it apparently has as I can't find the stuff anywhere anymore.:cry:

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
H2O!

I'm a confirmed devotee of good old New York City tap water, some of the best in the world. I find this mania with bottled water insane. If you have good tap water, then you can't convince me that any bottled water is better. There are ways to filter the chlorine out, if you want. Plus there's the added harm involved in using plastic bottles, as well as all the fossil fuels wasted hauling water, a HEAVY commodity, across the planet from places like FIJI, for heaven's sake, to your local grocer.
As far as soft drinks are concerned, I get a real charge out of tracing the demographics of the word "POP" vs. the word "SODA". When I was little, in the early 50's SODA was the word in New York City, but up in western New York State, POP was still universal. Since that time POP has almost gone extinct in western NY, replaced with SODA. But further inland, and in many parts of the far west (tho not all) POP still holds sway. I think this is an interesting indication of some sort of sociological trend, tho I don't know exactly what. If you come to New York and ask for POP, you'll get the most hilarious "What the heck are you talking about?" stares.
What do I drink? Well aside from 98% water, I do like real Coca-Cola. Over really cold ice, so the it gets a little diluted, but not watery.
Sometimes I'll have a Ginger Ale. I'm trying to stave off being another adult onset diabetes person, so I try to avoid sugar as much as possible. Mostly unsuccessfully, I must confess.
The amount of sugar, or corn sweetener (even worse), based soft drink consumption in this country approaches smoking as a public health disaster in the making. Go to a hospital ward where type 2 diabetes patients are having their feet amputated if you want a real wake up call.
Speaking of Ginger Ale, anyone ever tried Verner's Ginger Ale? That stuff will really clear your sinuses!

Bebop

Practically Family
I stay away from soft drinks like Coke and Pepsi. I drink yerba mate (an herbal leaf from So. America). I have a collection of mate gourds that date back to the 30's. It really gets me going in the morning without giving me the coffee shakes and sweats. I make a huge jug every morning. I drink it hot in the a.m. and cold throughout the day. You can find yerba mate and gourds at all Argentine markets and many Italian markets or on the internet also. The tea bag style yerba mate is nowhere near what the real stuff is. With dinner I drink red wine. Rarely more than two glasses every evening. I know it probably sounds a little strange to people in the U.S. but I have been drinking red wine with dinner since I was a child in Argentina. [huh]

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
I'll drink just about anything with my meals, but rarely anything with alcohol. (But, I do like a Mike's Hard Lemonade or Limeade on a hot afternoon.) I don't like straight alcohol drinks, too rough on the throat, and wine - especially red wine - makes me sweat and the muscles in my arms, chest and neck hurt for about twenty minutes.

Coke is my favorite soft drink, followed by Dr Pepper, then Mountain Dew. I have a couple standards, though: If I go to IN & OUT Burger, I only order a Coke with my meal, and it's nothing but Mountain Dew at Taco Bell. Personally, I don't get it. :rolleyes: Anywhere else I might go, I'll order what sounds good at the moment; unsweetened iced tea, milk, water, etc.

Lee

:eek:Mountain Dew? Lee, d'ya know what that stuff does to ya?

Anyway, for carbonated beverages, I'll drink anything caffeinated as long as it doesn't have that NutraSweet crud in it--sugar may be fattening, but that stuff'll kill ya deader'n black plastic.

I'm also known to drink a lot of OJ, cranberry, grapefruit juices, and assorted Gatorade/Powerade/All Sport-type drinks.

carter

I'll Lock Up
sugar may be fattening, but that stuff'll kill ya deader'n black plastic.

DB, POI:

:eek:fftopic:

What exactly is it that black plastic will do to you? Is it more toxic than other shades of plastic? :eek: :D

Novella

Practically Family
Quigley Brown said:
For the past year Pepsi had a line out called 'Pepsi Jazz.' It was Diet Pepsi mixed with strawberry flavoring or one mixed with caramel creme. I drank that stuff like it was going out of style...and it apparently has as I can't find the stuff anywhere anymore.:cry:

It's still out there! At least, it's still carried in grocery stores in Colorado. I love Pepsi Jazz, the strawberries and cream one is my favorite.

I drink water mostly. When I'm not drinking water, I really like iced tea. I make it from Lipton Cool Brew bags (super affordable) or buy a brand called Honest Tea (more expensive). I really don't like the super sweet bottled teas, but I like a little bit of sugar and flavor. Honest Tea has just the right amount of flavor and enough sugar to make it sweet without making it taste like sugar water.

LadyStardust

Practically Family
I'm going to sound like such a hippie when I say this, but fairly recently I tried an Odwalla beverage, and now I'm hooked on the line. The one I have most often with meals is Antioxidance. My favorite as a snack substitute is their Superfood drink. But usually with meals, I drink water or cranberry juice. As far as soft drinks go, the only brand that exists, in my opinion, is Coke.

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Diamondback said:
:eek:Mountain Dew? Lee, d'ya know what that stuff does to ya?

Yeah. Now ask me if I care.

lol <~~~ There's your answer.

Mountain Dew has enough sugar to wake the dead, enough caffiene to perk 'em up and plenty preservatives to keep 'em going. :D

Lee

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters