Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fine Creek Leathers Tyler

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Fine Creek Leathers Tyler

Approximately two years ago, I reached a state of mind rarely found in this community: leather jacket contentment. Yes, I know: blasphemy! I liked my assortment of jackets and I did not feel the need to purchase any more. Nevertheless, in the recesses of my (tiny) mind, I had a small yearning for one more black jacket. The yearning was mostly in the background and I rarely entertained it. I briefly toyed with the idea of purchasing a Himel Imperial in black, but I already have a good number of Himel jackets, as well as a GW Imperial in brown. Thus, I successfully resisted that temptation. However, the notion of “just one more black jacket” remained and, while not aggressively searching, I kept my eyes open – at least one eye.

Over the years, I had tried on several Fine Creek Leather models at Self Edge and, while I liked much about the jackets, the fits did not work. Moreover, I was not interested in mismatched panels, which eliminated certain of their offerings.

Recently, I discovered the FCL Tyler. This jacket appeared to be what I was kinda, sorta looking for and really appealed to me. However, no retailers near me carried the Tyler and, given the fit issues with the other FCL models, I was reluctant to buy a FCL jacket without trying it on. The published measurements appeared to be perfect, but we all know how often published measurements do not translate to a good fit. After hemming and hawing for a bit, I decided to give it a try.

Executive summary: This jacket rocks and fits me better than any prior OTR jacket – frankly, it fits me better than many custom jackets.

Provenience

The FCL Tyler is a reproduction of a prior version of the Lewis Leathers Corsair. Why didn’t I simply buy a Corsair? First, the version of the Corsair reproduced by FCL is not currently made by LL. Rather, the current LL Corsair does not have a sleeve zipper (the Lightening does, but not the Corsair). Second, I hate the LL patch – this is a deal breaker for me. Third, I prefer Shinki HH over LL HH.

Leather

The leather is veg-tanned, aniline finished 1.3 mm Shinki HH (I confirmed the leather with two different retailers). It is quite robust, yet pliable and immediately wearable without a break-in. Exactly what I prefer. The color is a dull black – not at all shiny. It is a tea-core HH. I love the leather!

Cut

The cut of this jacket is stellar! The relationship between the shoulders and the chest is perfect (for me). The waist is trim. The sleeve width is great (up to the cuffs). No excess material under the shoulders. The extra length in the back is fantastic (more below on this).

One nit about the cut: The sleeve openings are just a tad too wide. If it bothers me, I will have them narrowed.

Design

I was looking for something a tad sportier than my Himel Frobisher and RMC Steinbeck, so as to distinguish the jacket from a typical half-belt design. On the other hand, I did not want a jacket that was too busy. The Tyler fits the bill perfectly. The cuff zippers, sleeve zipper, and waistband tab add the additional character I was seeking, without being too bold or ornate. Years ago, I was on the fence about the waistband tab, but it grew on me.

I am not in love with the collar. It currently sits a bit oddly. I may have to call upon one of our resident collar experts – e.g., @handymike – for an assist.

I also do not love the red liner. Can liner be dyed?

Stitching

The stitching is very, very good, but not perfect. Definitely better than mid-tier jackets, but not the best I have ever seen.

The top stitching is rather simple.

Seams

There is nothing noteworthy about the seams.

Zipper

The CLIX main zipper is super robust. I previously scoffed at some who exalted larger zippers, but I really like this one so maybe I am a convert.

I poked around a bit and discovered that CLIX zippers were used as far back as the 50’s or 60’s (not sure about earlier), including by LL and other brands.

In general, I prefer leather on each side of the zipper partially covering the teeth, as opposed to a fully exposed zipper. That said, I like the lack of covering here as it adds to the character of the jacket.

Fit

The best fitting OTR leather jacket I have ever purchased. It fits like a custom jacket – actually, better than many of my custom jackets. The shoulder / chest drop is perfect for me, as is the length.

One of my gripes with many jackets is that, in order to get the back length where I want it, the front becomes too long. This jacket has a dip in the back, such that I have the desired length in back without extra length in front. I love this about the jacket.

In case its not obvious, I am very pleased with this purchase.

Fine Creek Leathers Tyler 010.jpg

Fine Creek Leathers Tyler 011.jpg

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nice. Are all of their jackets produced in Shinki? Any comments on the "recipe"?

All of their HH comes from Himeji, but not all is Shinki.

I only know that they have a so-called "secret recipe" for their tanneries -- I have no idea what it is. I presume it only impacts the finish, as I would be surprised if tanneries used special tanning recipes for individual customers (but this is only a guess and I may be wrong).

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
That jacket is more aggressive and unique than I would expect from you, but I like that. Fits you nicely. I certainly agree about the sleeve openings looking pretty wide, but that would be an easy fix.

Would love to see how it looks unzipped as well as well as some closer shots of the leather. That is certainly a more matte Shinki than I am used to as you noted.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Thnx for writing the review. Great looking jacket. Congrats. I'm impressed how well it fits in the shoulder/chest area. Not a single crease yet it doesn't look too tight. How is the movement?
I agree, those sleeve ends do look a bit too wide for the overall style and they forgot to shape the collar :)
In Jake's words, the 'aggressive style' suits you remarkably well.

I would love to see more pics, maybe some closeups.

Downunder G Man

One Too Many
That is indeed a lovely jacket. VERY very similar look to my Simmons Bilt Nebraska in black goat.

No surprise there I suppose , it is also "an homage" to a Lewis leathers original 1960's jacket.

The sleeves do look a wee bit "wide" , but really only if you are a motorcyclist ( obviously I am !)

Otherwise lovely indeed , "just my style" to coin a phrase....

Simmons Bilt Nebraska Scarboro 2.jpg

Last edited:

58panheadfan

One Too Many
Very nicely written review, thank you very much for that. I can say that this jacket complements your collection in the perfect way and gives it a touch of sportiness. A very nice addition. As already mentioned before, the cuff is a bit too wide. I wouldn't worry too much about the red lining, that's something different and gives this jacket a sporty touch. Have fun wearing this beautiful leather jacket!

Super, the jacket fits great - albeit a bit too long for what it's supposed to be but that's just my own subjective opinion of course and it's great to have options - and it looks fantastic but you know, and this is something you've already mentioned, these sleeve openings are... It's something that's making me furious. That such a high-end brand makes sleeve openings exactly like those LL knock-off India/Pakistan jackets Europe was swamped with in the 80's. Best explanation that I could come up with is that they couldn't figure out how to do a zippered sleeve and just made it like that, so that closing the zippers would have no effect on the ridiculous width of the cuffs.

This isn't the case on the original and never has been. I briefly had a Dominator, essentially the same style and the cuffs were skintight when zipped up, as they should be.

So yeah, the jacket looks great and is certainly worth it but given the option, I'd definitely take it to Dave or anywhere good and have the sleeves properly shaped and tailored so that they'd match the overall quality of this piece.

That said, don't know if you've ever seen Lewis' vegetable tanned sheepskin but it is in my opinion their best looking hide and I much prefer it to either horse or cow.

180830_gocyoujyu_02.jpg

L1030543_2048x.jpg

Mich486

One Too Many
It fits you pretty well! The cuffs might settle when the leather breaks in.

As far as Clix zippers, I thought that was the standard LL zipper brand. I had the same on my Cyclone (which I didn’t specifically request).

It fits you pretty well! The cuffs might settle when the leather breaks in.

As far as Clix zippers, I thought that was the standard LL zipper brand. I had the same on my Cyclone (which I didn’t specifically request).

It is. Or was, for the most part but I know they sometimes couldn't source them so they would use YKK's or whatever was around but all my LL's had Clix hardware.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
congrats, maybe go easier on the lapel fold so the red lining not peeking out, and I too think the cuff is too wide for a zip cuff, looks like it is goin to get creases very fast.

Robbie79

Call Me a Cab
Thanks very much for your detailed and interesting review and all the background. I didn't even know that this model exists and I have to say I'm really impressed and it looks like a custom made jacket for you - perfect fit (shoulder, chest, hem, sleeves hopefully can be altered and if not I wouldn't mind that much as the jacket looks perfect on you)! Congratulations!

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
It is. Or was, for the most part but I know they sometimes couldn't source them so they would use YKK's or whatever was around but all my LL's had Clix hardware.

AFAIK Lewis leather uses CLIX for their X-Zips and Lightning-Zips (isn´t that a joke...?!!) for their straight zipped models.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ