Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Besides Pop?

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Kishtu said:
Pepsi Max, by the litre ;)

I sometimes like Coke Zero, but I have to be in the mood...

But my current thing is Vimto!! I love Vimto!! I don't know if you have it in the US but it's a sort of blackcurrant-y, grape-y, mixed-fruit-y squash drink and you can have it hot or cold (the hot variant is a North of England thing I think...)

it's just the best! and it's got tons of Vitamin C in it!

we don't have Vimto here ...sadly...and Ribena which is also yummy hot or cold....costs a bloody fortune!

That and Irn Bru are my most missed things from my second home....

Edward

Bartender
Miss Neecerie said:
That and Irn Bru are my most missed things from my second home....

Irn Bru is truly the nectar of the gods - to taste, I'd choose that over and above any other drink of which I can think.

Paisley said:
I went off Coke cold turkey about a month ago, not knowing the effects of caffeine withdrawal. I got nauseated, tired, and couldn't concentrate for a day or two. I'd recommend slowly weaning yourself off if you want to stop.

I had a similar experience a few years ago - I hadn't had any for just a couple of days, and I ended up like that. I wasn't trying to kick at the time - back then I was on at least a litre a day, I just happened for a couple of days to be drinknig other things. That's actually what scared me into cutting back severely, and then later on I decided to quit it entirely on ethical grounds. It's actually surprising how difficult it can be to avoid products from a conpany as big as Coca cola entirely - the number of bars / restaurants you go into where the only diet option is Diet coke, and often all the soft drinks are Coca Cola products.... so much for consumer choice! lol

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
For me it's always cranberry juice in the morning, and fat free milk if I have oatmeal.
Water or milk with lunch. (Milk is a must have with that PB&J or Peanut butter and honey sandwich!) And then water or milk with dinner.

I try to avoid pop, but probably have one every weekend or so. Another choice that I don't use often, but enjoy is sun-tea. That's an easy version of iced tea made by putting tea bags in a clear container of water (mom used to use those big old glass juice bottles) and leaving it in the sun for the afternoon. It brews slowly, and thus has less bitterness. :D

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Flivver said:
By the way, in parts of New England, we refer to soda or pop as "tonic". I grew up calling it that. My midwestern cousins used to think I drank hair tonic!
Ah, yes, "Tawwwwwnic", or you could have a Frappe! You New Englanders are just so wonderfully DIFFERENT!
I think "tonic" goes back to the days about 100 or 115 years ago when soft drinks were first invented. They thought carbonated water was good for you in and of itself, but it tasted a little nasty. So they added various flavors, e.g. lime rickey, strawberry phosphate. But they still pretended it was healthy, so they called it a tonic. From this quaint little self delusion, a whole industry was spawned.

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
I never drink most sodas. I really don't consume much sugar in my diet (not intentionally, but I suppose it's a good thing), so drinking something from the big soda brands is too much for me.

I'm a water person.
Sweet tea, sometimes.

I'd like to try those fancy sodas that I forgot the name of...they come in really neat flavors like lavender. Jones sodas sound good too, but I haven't been able to get over the coloring yet.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Skim milk. I was just given a packet of powdered milk that had an expiration date of sometime in 2005. It's still good.
I had a coupon for a free big bottle of pop. I chose Fresca and it's taking me 3 weeks to finish it. I don't like carbonation, too painful.
I also always have orange juice in the fridge. I drink tap water and make Luzianne or Naviera coffee from Brita water.

pretty faythe

One Too Many
I was looking at the peach tea the other day and decided against it, since I have not had it before. You highly reommend it? I am looking for new flavors to take with me to work.

Paisley said:
Now I drink Crystal Light iced tea and peach tea. It's low in caffeine, has no sugar, and it tastes great (not like Nestea). Oh, and it costs 10 cents per 8 oz serving.

Prairie Dog

A-List Customer
I avoid carbonated drinks. Heard they cause kidney failure and osteoporosis.

I usually drink skim milk. At least 3 glasses a day.
I enjoy red wine with a steak or roast beef.
I also drink thirst-quenching combo of natural juices over ice ~ 1/4 of each
~ orange juice
~ pineapple juice
~ apple juice
~ water

V

VargasBaby

I have been addicted to soda since I was a child, curse my father for it! :)

I've been trying very hard lately not to drink it as much. Instead, I've been opting for Ice Tea, water or milk.

It's a hard habit to break though, since there are certain foods I just CANT eat without soda. (pizza anyone?)

Some of the Arizona Iced Teas are quite yummy though, I love the pomegranate and the white cranberry/apple.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred