Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best A-2 for up to $600

Gromulus

Practically Family
"Aero Classics" is offered by the guy on ebay who rep's AL using Aero's name and reputation to sell AL jackets.
He came here pretending to be an innocuous guy and was found out in about 35 seconds.
I can no longer recall his name here, but it's similar/the same as the ebay account.
"DrifterProductions" That's him.

Butte, I believe you are thinking of "Aero Adventures" (drifterproductions). I have seen the "Aero Classics" models occasionally on ebay but have no information regarding their accuracy or quality.

Edward

Bartender
Yes, they're different than Aero Adventures, I believe. One of several outfits trying to get in on the goodwill in the Aero name. Technically trademark infringement, even if not counterfeit product. Of course that doesn't necessarily mean the product itself is shoddy, but I personally would be wary. Ymmv, of course.

strokes1251

Practically Family
I know what kind of jacket your talking about. I ran into one on ebay for about 100 buy it now and got excited thinking some listed an Aero so cheap. Bu when I asked for close up pics I noticed that the main zipper said Aero and looked like the typical 80s Ykk zippers. Also once I saw "Made in Pakistan" on the inner tag It was pretty much a nope for me. Thank god you didn't buy it! :D

2wheelgrplr

A-List Customer
I'm in the same place as the op - looking to start on the flight jacket journey with a good quality entry-level A2 or G1. I find myself in-between sizes a lot, hovering between a 40 and 42 or M and L, depending on brand, so oftentimes buying online/ebay can be frustrating as the fit/look doesn't work out quite as good as I hope for. I'm 5'10" and around 178 lbs.

Today I finally managed to visit the Cockpit USA store in NYC and tried on several jackets. They didn't have the A2 in horsehide that was top of my list (WW2 Govt Issue A2 for $520), almost settled on the available goatskin (Reissue A2 for $410), but decided to wait a few days until they bring the HH in my size in the store. Also tried on the Navy G1 (the one for $680) , wasn't quite sure of how it looked on me so decided to start with A2.

Attaching pictures of the goatskin A2 (sz. 40) and G1 (sz. M) I tried on, please excuse the bad, hurriedly-taken camera pics. Also please let me know how they look on me, fit-wise. I really liked the fit of the A2 in sz. 40, a closer fitting look that I want, still enough room for thin layer underneath & to reach my motorcycle handlebars. Also close-ups of the goatskin A2 alongside HH (not my size) - goatskin is the darker one on left.

Thank you!

IMG_3080.jpg IMG_3083.jpg IMG_3082.jpg IMG_3084.jpg IMG_3085.jpg IMG_3086.jpg

morrison2951

Practically Family
Nice! Well, so much for the Aero for me. I think that I just scored the A-2 ebay buy of the century! A vintage special order rare deerskin G-B for $89 plus shipping!! WOW!!!

Can't wait to get it- talk about making an immediate splash! Thank you Fedoras for your knowledgeable assistance during my research.

Brettafett

One Too Many
Both look good. I am about your specs, size seems about right, did you try a 38 Long? May be a little bit snug depending....
Were they out of stiock? Cockpit seems to have a number of A-2 options... seen the 1000 mission A-2s or 200 deck landing ;) G-1s?
Please get pics of the WW2 Horsehide A-2, it seems like a good jacket for the price.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Last year I got the unpachted version of their Forrestal G-1. It's like the vintage g-1 but with an A-2 collar. Technically an ANJ-3;

z21i024_front.jpg

Right now it's the jacket I'm grabbing in a daily basis. Not high end but ultra-wearable. This one doesn't have side entry pockets.

I really like that Aerojoe. Although I'd lose the patch on the inside and I reckon you could get away with putting a Korean War blood chit in it instead.

Aerojoe

Practically Family
Although I'd lose the patch on the inside and I reckon you could get away with putting a Korean War blood chit in it instead.

I actually removed the inner patch. It didn't make any sense to me. I didn't bother to install a blood chit because you can't notice the stitches on the nylon lining after removing this patch.

A Tonkin Yatch Club patch would be better. According to Cockpit, this jacket originally belonged to a pilot during the Vietnam war era. I don't know if Cockpit made up the whole story :D but the plot is pretty cool.

The guy was allegedly aboard the Forrestal before some jerk set it on fire :D Why he removed the fur collar it is not stated but it might have been in bad state or the weather was too hot in the Gulf of Tonkin.

While parked on board, somebody missfired a rocket from a F4 Phantom II
facepalmsmiley1ti3.gif
The rocket hit McCain's plane (yeah, the presidential candidate and he was on his plane). Probably those rockets take some safety time to get fully armed. Anyway, the rocket didn't explode and didn't blow McCain - Obama wouldn't be president now otherwise :D However it did dislodge a 400 gallon gas tank from McCain's Skyhawk. Fuel caught fire and the Forrestal burned for days.

Then, pilots were transferred to other carriers. The patches of the jacket reflect this movements. They could make a movie with this story.

Last edited:

2wheelgrplr

A-List Customer
Both look good. I am about your specs, size seems about right, did you try a 38 Long? May be a little bit snug depending....
Were they out of stiock? Cockpit seems to have a number of A-2 options... seen the 1000 mission A-2s or 200 deck landing ;) G-1s?
Please get pics of the WW2 Horsehide A-2, it seems like a good jacket for the price.

No, didn't try 38 Long, the size 40s seem to fit me best so stuck with them, size 42s were too loose and baggy all around - was short on time so didn't get around to browse much & try on too many other styles. They didn't have my size & style in the store and said they'd bring it in from their warehouse. I got the call yesterday so squeezed in a quick trip in-between work to pick up the jacket. Pretty happy with it overall, feels a little thinner & lighter than I'd expected, also knits don't look too sturdy - I can see how this won't quite compare to the high-end stuff. I'll eventually work my way up there but in the meantime I'm looking forward to putting this jacket through its paces.

Some more poor-quality camera pics to share.

Attachments

• IMG_3116-1.jpg
    IMG_3116-1.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_3120.jpg
    IMG_3120.jpg
    564.5 KB · Views: 138

AustinTX

One of the Regulars
Be advised that Gibson-Barnes jackets don't run slim, but they have nice leather and workmanship. Their customer service is quite good; they will help you with comparisons of their jacket sizing and such. Amanda at G/B was very helpful and informative for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy