Best beauty decision you've made?

Discussion in 'Beauty' started by CherryWry, Jun 13, 2010.

1. lolly_loisides

lolly_loisides One Too Many

I saw an improvement almost straight away, and I was really happy with it, my skin looked great. Unfortunately after about 3/4 weeks my skin started to react to it. The flushing returned & my skin started to get really flakey. It's disappointing because it worked well initially & I've read some really good reports about it, but I guess it just doesn't work for me. Back to the drawing board.....

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  2. carmine

carmine New in Town

The best beauty decision I've made is pin curling my hair.

My hair is naturally absolutely dead straight and not very thick and I have one ear that sticks out just the tiniest little bit so you can imagine the combination: when I was in high school one boy actually asked me if I had only one ear because he could only ever see the tip of one sticking out of my hair!

So I'll wear it flat if I want a giggle when I pass the mirror but aside from that, thank you pin curls!

3. W-D Forties

W-D Forties Practically Family

What's a clarisonic missjones? I admit I originally read it as 'colonic' (even I know what that is!)

4. TillyMilly

TillyMilly One of the Regulars

Pardon me for jumping in. The Clarisonic is a sonic facebrush. It vibrates and shskes debris out of your pores. It is quite expensive and there are cheaper versions around but they are not sonic- they just have a rotating brush. I have the regular Clarisonic version (there is a travel sized one called mia- with less speed settings and no body brush). I have found it good for keeping my skin clear but I still need to exfoliate. I think it has made a really good improvement to my skin. I think I wrote a review of it on here somewhere - in the thread on beauty luxuries.

5. W-D Forties

W-D Forties Practically Family

Ooh, I think I had one of the ones that just rotate back when I was a teenager! Along with something similar that sanded and buffed the nails - pure car boot sale fodder that was!

6. Retro_GI_Jane

Retro_GI_Jane One of the Regulars

I think my best decision was tapping into the wonders of plain ol' Vaseline. I used to have a terrible time with dry skin and redness on the corners of my mouth, it always looked like I had a rash and concealer would never cover it up. I started using Vaseline nightly before going to bed and it has cleared it up. I also use it on my elbows nightly because they tend to overdry and get terribly chapped. To think I spent so much money on creams and lotions that claimed to heal dry skin...I'm almost embarrassed!

7. missjones

missjones New in Town

exactly. :) i have the Clarisonic Mia and i love it. my skin cleared up in a week and i didn't change anything else in my routine. i finally got to a point that i figured i didn't have anything to lose by trying it and i'm so pleased that i did. the Olay Pro-X was nice, but the results pale in comparison.

another decision i'm glad i made was to pay more attention to my eyebrows. it dawned on me one day as i was looking at photos of old Hollywood stars that all of the ladies had artfully shaped eyebrows while mine looked like two caterpillars meeting for coffee over my nose.

8. Mrs Chaddsley_Corbett

Mrs Chaddsley_Corbett Suspended

Defiantly Retinolic Acid, I have been using it on and off for twenty five years, and have very few faint lines for a 56yo

9. asnkloma

asnkloma Banned

It was great hair.

10. PrettySquareGal

PrettySquareGal I'll Lock Up

My best beauty decision: Liking myself.

11. rene_writer

rene_writer Familiar Face

I decided when I was 18 that if someone didn't like me just because of my style choices, their friendship wasn't worth having anyway. Best choice ever. I wear what I want and I'm not ashamed of it anymore, so unlike those horrible teenage years.

12. Clemmé

Clemmé New in Town

Giving up smoking - turns out I had an almost grey layer on top of my own skin :-s
    Growning my eyebrows out. Overplucking made me look permanently surprised. Took me a year to get them back to normal!

13. waletandson

waletandson Banned

Quitting smoking.

14. lareine

lareine A-List Customer

That is a great attitude to have, and you did well to reach it at 18. Being a teenager is hard -- fitting in makes such a difference at that age. But it is definitely true that if a person is really a friend they don't give a hoot how you dress or style yourself, beyond giving some constructive advice if it's genuinely needed (e.g. "Did you realise that everybody can see your knickers from behind in that skirt?" type stuff).

15. crwritt

crwritt One Too Many

My best one lately has been parting my hair on the opposite side. Why didn't I think of this sooner?

16. Miss sofia

Miss sofia One Too Many

OOh i must try that too, where's me comb?

17. Stray Cat

Stray Cat My Mail is Forwarded Here

Lately, I said "no" to eyeliner.
    It's so cold, the darn thing melts on my face, leaving black tear trace (so unfashionable.. if you're not Emo) :)

I use gray shadow instead.. it works fine. ;)
    ..so, that's mine.

18. brookenormajean

brookenormajean New in Town

Definately switching all my beauty products to as natural/organic as possible the only product I have never been able to switch is Revlon Colourstay... It's the one foundation that doesn't make my pale skin orange and it lasts all day... at least theres only one questionable ingredients product left right?... :p

19. Miss sofia

Miss sofia One Too Many

Cutting myself a fringe/bangs again, (thanks Shebear). I have grown out my fringe, done some lovely forties style hairdo''s, but basically it doesn't suit me. So i'm back with a sixtes style long fringe for the mo', till i get my stylist to do the Betty bangs for me. Since i have gone back to bangs, i have had a ton of compliments about my hair, plus it certainly is easier with this inclement weather to make myself look and feel decent every morning.
    I think the moral of this story is to stick with what suits you. Plus i have had some fun with wearing and sporting some early sixties style hair and clothes, which has given me a bit of a lift, a change is as good as a rest and all that!

20. C-dot

C-dot Call Me a Cab

Glad to hear it! Sixties clothes and hair are just plain fun, anyway! :)