Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best beauty decision you've made?

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thanks to W-D Forties and FortWorthGal I have been trying the "hot fannel method" for washing my face at night. I did some online research and discovered something called the "oil cleansing method" which is a varient of the hot fannel method with castor oil and other oils. I didn't have castor oil, but I had almond.

I've been doing the flannel method with almond oil only, and it is wonderful. I just spread it on my face, steam it with a hot wash cloth twice, and wipe the excess off. My skin is glowing and my acne has died down a lot (after a brief transition period).

The biggest benefit however is that when I get acne it dies down quickly and I no longer get the rashy areas I used to have after a breakout. :)

Thank you gals!

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
I second Miss Sofia; I've gone back and forth, kinda growing out my bangs and then relenting and recutting, many a time. But I love my bangs and my bangs love me, so why get rid of them? They're my signature look, after all! ;) There's this perfect length, right about eyebrow level, where they're long enough to roll up and hide in a hairstyle anyway.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Sheeplady - I'm glad to hear you had such great luck! I used to do the tissue-off method rather than the hot flannel/washcloth, and I honestly much prefer the hot flannel. I use cold cream & Albolene, not actual oil.

I do sometimes believe that simplifying our skincare routines is very beneficial. When you aren't stripping your skin with tons of harsh chemicals and treatments, it will be less prone to over producing oil and causing breakouts.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
They're my signature look, after all! ;)

That was actually a great beauty decision for me to make - Sticking to a signature look. Changing my hair and constantly adding more steps to my make-up routine was expensive and time consuming, and very frustrating. Ironically, constantly changing my look made me more dissatisfied with it. Having a signature keeps me recognizable but still able to stand out. :)

(The other bonus is people stop saying "what colour is your hair today?" Hah, hah...)

Miss sofia

One Too Many
That was actually a great beauty decision for me to make - Sticking to a signature look. Changing my hair and constantly adding more steps to my make-up routine was expensive and time consuming, and very frustrating. Ironically, constantly changing my look made me more dissatisfied with it. Having a signature keeps me recognizable but still able to stand out. :)

(The other bonus is people stop saying "what colour is your hair today?" Hah, hah...)

I quite agree with the 'frustrating part', i found all the faffing about having no bangs and basically the choice of hairstyles i had very frustrating. (Yes i did say that, me and too much choice, not a good thing)...

This week i have worked on my 'signature' look, which is an early sixties beehive or fifties pincurl set with side swept fringe, cat's eye liner and nude or red lip. I'm good to go pretty quick in the mornings now, whereas i was faffing for England with no bangs and was really feeling the pressure!

W-D Forties

Practically Family
Thanks to W-D Forties and FortWorthGal I have been trying the "hot fannel method" for washing my face at night. I did some online research and discovered something called the "oil cleansing method" which is a varient of the hot fannel method with castor oil and other oils. I didn't have castor oil, but I had almond.

I've been doing the flannel method with almond oil only, and it is wonderful. I just spread it on my face, steam it with a hot wash cloth twice, and wipe the excess off. My skin is glowing and my acne has died down a lot (after a brief transition period).

The biggest benefit however is that when I get acne it dies down quickly and I no longer get the rashy areas I used to have after a breakout. :)

Thank you gals!

Hey, glad it worked! My skin is actually horribly dry at the moment (probably the change in the weather), and you have inspired me to to try the hot flannel method with almond oil. I got mine form Boots last week and they said it was being rationed! I think it was because a 'hand model' was on the telly a few days before and said that whatever expensive creams she tried on her hands, she always went back to almond oil as it worked the best.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Hey, glad it worked! My skin is actually horribly dry at the moment (probably the change in the weather), and you have inspired me to to try the hot flannel method with almond oil. I got mine form Boots last week and they said it was being rationed! I think it was because a 'hand model' was on the telly a few days before and said that whatever expensive creams she tried on her hands, she always went back to almond oil as it worked the best.

I've actually found with the almond oil that my face skin is actually somewhat... normal. Since it's always been oily and dry, this was a suprising development. They say that Jackie Kennedy used almond oil for her complexion. I don't know if that is true or not. It's actually the only moisturizer I use now, I wish I had known about it years ago. It treats my acne too. I saw it in a natural magazine once and I bought some (on a whim after limited success with jojoba oil) and I've never looked back. I buy the cooking stuff in the grocery store and my husband steals it out of the cupboard to make popcorn with. lol

If the almond oil is too "drying" for you (so odd to think about an oil being drying, but I think it is less moisturizing), I also read that people use Jojoba oil and olive oil for the same purpose when I did research on the oil cleansing method. I can't use either of those because they aggrevate my acne.

Last edited:

Lenore

Practically Family

I couldn't be more in this position right now. I've been in a rut, and struggling to find myself... It's starting to work. I've slowly started cultivating MY look. Only took 30 years...

DameWhoDrinks

Familiar Face
I don't wear makeup all the time, and as such I have very clear skin and it makes wearing makeup extra special. In makeupwise things, filling brows, a fake beauty mark, teal eyeshadow and catseye liner have brought me a multitude of compliments from dragging it up, to demure. Church wear

Alice~

One of the Regulars
Cutting off my long hair.

It was lovely, long, and in great condition but such a pain to manage or style. Looking back, the amount of time I attempted to curl it and failed miserably is fairly embarrassing - why didn't I give up sooner?! Now it's a lot shorter - shoulder length - and so much easier to wear. Sometimes I miss having long hair, but all in all, I feel much better with it shorter. :)

therizyflapper

One of the Regulars
I know it sounds saccharin but the best decision I made was to stop being so bl**dy paranoid about my looks. I used to worry about the size of my breasts, the shape of my nose, my freckles etc etc. Since I stopped worrying about the things I can't change and just accepted them I'm 100% more confident.

i had the same experience :) one i stopped worrying all the time i felt amazing! :)

Miss Stella

One of the Regulars
Best decision was to not wear makeup. My skin is clear, I look the same when I get up in the morning as when I go to bed (husbands favorite part!) and I've saved TONS of moola :)
I do keep lipbalm in a vintage lipstick holder and no, I don't wear sunscreen. (When i lived in Hawaii in the 60's my mom use to put iodine in a bottle of baby oil and use it on me for 'tanning lotion'!) I have a Mediterranean complexion and I just never have worn SPF stuff. I wash my face with a hypoallergenic face wash and moisturize with a little olive oil. The occasional sea salt exfoliation keeps it smooth and my wrinkles are minimal, although I have earned each and everyone of them ;) This has worked well for me for many years so I see no need to change it :)

Dixie_Amazon

Practically Family
I quit coloring my hair due shoulder problems and I am too cheap, I mean fugal, to pay a salon. I have a lot less breakage and get complements on my white streak. Now I can't wait for the last of the dyed hair to be trimmed off.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I quit coloring my hair due shoulder problems and I am too cheap, I mean fugal, to pay a salon. I have a lot less breakage and get complements on my white streak. Now I can't wait for the last of the dyed hair to be trimmed off.

I just did the same thing recently! Even though I coloured my hair myself, it was still a lot of maintenance to dye it darker, so I gave it a good soaking of ColourFix and let it do its thing now. I haven't dyed over my own streak in years, though. I like it :)

Last edited:

Miss Stella

One of the Regulars
I just did the same thing recently! Even though I coloured my hair myself, it was still a lot of maintenance to dye it darker, so I gave it a good soaking of ColourFix and let it do its thing now. I haven't dyed over my own streak in years, though. I like it :)
What does ColourFix do exactly? The color my stylist uses isn't any better than the Colorsilk I was using and id like to stop coloring my hair.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB