Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best HOT CURLERS/ROLLERS out on the market

Tatum

Practically Family
Odalisque said:
Alright! I'm getting a set :)

I used them again tonight, if you have the time they really are a lifesaver. I've had a few late nights in a row, and I just didn't have the oomph to set my hair, so I washed it today and cheated with the heated rag rollers this evening. I am just in LOVE with those things!

roots66

One of the Regulars
Another Remington Rag Rave

Count me in on the kudos for Remington Rag Rollers! I've been wanting to try them for a long time, but never came across them up here and didn't feel like paying exorbitant eBay shipping on something that might not work. Imagine my surprise when they turned up at a local Winners store (Canadian outpost of the Marshalls/TJ Maxx empire) for 20 bucks. Imagine my further surprise when they worked like a charm even on my stubborn stick-straight locks!

They don't get as hot as Hot Sticks, they don't even get as hot as my regular-sized set, and yet somehow they still did the job. I'm flabbergasted. So easy to use and comfortable, and not a single hair got caught in them. They'll be a great alternative when I'm feeling too butterfingery to deal with Hot Sticks burn. They do take a little longer to heat up, though--20 minutes and up seems optimal for me.

I'm a little worried that the internal wires might eventually break with repeated usage, but should that occur I think I'd be able to salvage them by sewing strips of fabric to either end and tying them together when in use.

Tatum

Practically Family
roots66 said:
Count me in on the kudos for Remington Rag Rollers! I've been wanting to try them for a long time, but never came across them up here and didn't feel like paying exorbitant eBay shipping on something that might not work. Imagine my surprise when they turned up at a local Winners store (Canadian outpost of the Marshalls/TJ Maxx empire) for 20 bucks. Imagine my further surprise when they worked like a charm even on my stubborn stick-straight locks!

They don't get as hot as Hot Sticks, they don't even get as hot as my regular-sized set, and yet somehow they still did the job. I'm flabbergasted. So easy to use and comfortable, and not a single hair got caught in them. They'll be a great alternative when I'm feeling too butterfingery to deal with Hot Sticks burn. They do take a little longer to heat up, though--20 minutes and up seems optimal for me.

I'm a little worried that the internal wires might eventually break with repeated usage, but should that occur I think I'd be able to salvage them by sewing strips of fabric to either end and tying them together when in use.

I just love them. I have everything possible, I think, that can be plugged in to curl my hair, and these never fail. Too bad I have been so short on time lately that I have had extremely boring, mundane hair!

Inky

One Too Many
Remington Rag Rollers do rock! I found a set at our local Ross (discount department store) for $6.99! For that price I thought I'd give them a go. They have given me some of my best curls, much softer than using standard hot rollers (the velvet kind) or my curling iron.

I didn't think they would be that good at first because they didn't feel very hot, but they did work well for my right at the shoulder, coarse and wavy hair.

roots66

One of the Regulars
sixsexsix said:
roots66 where do you get end papers in the city?

At Sally's. The nearest one to downtown is a bit of a schlep on St. Clair west of Keele, and there are other locations further afield in Etobicoke and Scarborough. I think I've also seen them at the Toronto Beauty & Barber Supply shop at the corner of Bay and Dundas, and Cosmetic World at 623 Yonge.

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
Inky said:
Remington Rag Rollers do rock! I found a set at our local Ross (discount department store) for $6.99! For that price I thought I'd give them a go. They have given me some of my best curls, much softer than using standard hot rollers (the velvet kind) or my curling iron.

I didn't think they would be that good at first because they didn't feel very hot, but they did work well for my right at the shoulder, coarse and wavy hair.

Inky... I think I might need to make a trip to Ross! There is one down the street.. :)

Inky

One Too Many
It's worth checking - I got mine a couple of months ago. There was only one set, and it was with an odd collection of gift ware like glasses and glass serving ware - someone might have moved it over, but I scoured the store and asked as well if there were more sets, with no success. (I also found some decent cardigans with pearl buttons on that trip, suitable for everyday wear - I love Ross!).

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
Ohhhh I love Ross too... I get lost in that store for hours on end.. LOL

I do love how you will find hair stuff in the kitchen dept.. it just makes it seem more like ROss :) I wouldnt have it any other way lol

jennyrn

New in Town
Very Disappointed With Caruso Rollers - Can Anyone Help?

From all the positive reviews on Amazon, I thought Caruso was going to work for me. I still use my heated steam rollers (without the steam) and thought Caruso might do less damage to my straight, fine hair. All I can say is that it did completely nothing...except made my hair straighter! There were soft curls as I unwound the rollers, spritzed on extra hold hair spray, but after "finger separating" them, they fell flat. My hair felt completely dry, too, so I know it wasn't too much moisture. I tried it again today and had slightly better results - but not much....

I've wondered if the unit is working correctly as I've never seen one in action before. The steam arising was thinner than a thin stream of cigarette smoke (as in when you see one laying in an ashtray) It was so itty bitty it was apparent only when getting down to eye level with the unit. The foam did not "plump" as I read in one review. Nor did it get "moist" when I tried leaving one roller on the unit longer than 5-15 seconds to see what would happen. The rollers still felt dry. I blow dried before taking the rollers out and had kept the rollers in a good 20 minutes or more. I asked at my local Sally's but no one there (although they sell these units) knew how it should operate. They recommended I try a different setting lotion. (I blow dried my hair before I started AND before taking the curlers out.) I tried my second set with the new lotion, but the results were only slightly better.

If anyone could enlighten me as to how the unit is supposed to work when operating correctly, it would be appreciated greatly. Perhaps I have a dud and just don't know it.

texasgirl

One Too Many
I had one of these a long time ago. But if I remember correctly, I lot of steam came out and the roller did get slightly moist. I think your set may not be working correctly.

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
I was thinking the same thing texasgirl...

I have the caruso steam rollers and my steam is very noticable and i usually burn myself when getting the roller from the unit. I think your unit may not be working properly cause my rollers are hot and moist when I take them off the unit.
So sorry you had a bad experience with them.. they really are wonderful when the steamer works :)

Odalisque

A-List Customer
Not the best curlers

but still pretty cool. I found there's curlers at a thrift-store today. They are made by General Electric (didn't know they made curlers) and aren't like any I've seen. For $5, even if they don't work they are cool to look at. :)
Any ideas on the age of these?

lounge069.jpg

lounge070.jpg

SharGirl

New in Town
Remington hot rollers

After reading here, I bought the Remington hot rollers with the red bottom. I used them long ago & was happy to see them again.
My question is do I leave the set closed while heating them or leave it open?

harvesthobo

New in Town
Rollers or Sticks?

I realize this thread may be dead at this point ha, but I just thought I'd ask if anyone has used/been satisfied with Windmere hot rollers? There's a set of 24 on eBay for pretty cheap that I think might be good... But I'm kind of wondering if I should try hot sticks/ hot rag rollers since everyone seems to love those. But would those give me curls, or more of a wave? I really like Elizabeth Taylor and Marilyn Monroe hairstyles, and hot sticks seem like they might not give that type of curl, but I wouldn't know.

vampygirl13

One of the Regulars
Hey there-

I'm trying to get myself some hot sticks and saw Fleur's tutorial. Does she put them in her hair hot or cool? I'm guessing hot but just wanted to check since she put mousse in her hair before.

Also---how long do you leave them in?

Inky

One Too Many
vampygirl13 said:
Hey there-

I'm trying to get myself some hot sticks and saw Fleur's tutorial. Does she put them in her hair hot or cool? I'm guessing hot but just wanted to check since she put mousse in her hair before.

Also---how long do you leave them in?

I am sure Fleur will answer too, but here's my experience after a few rounds with hot sticks.

1 - I used mousse too, not much and it was fine. You could also use a thermal spray. Just don't make it "wet" or even "damp" because it won't dry. My best experience was putting it in about 15 minutes before using the hot sticks and things have been fine.

2 - let your hot sticks get hot. and they get nice and hot too. there's a little red dot that goes white when they are hot enough. Put them in hot and I have been leaving them in while I do my make up and dress, then I do my hair - so for me probably 30 minutes to 45 minutes. I even left them in while I showered (with a cap over them) yesterday.

Have fun!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner