Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Manly Sweater

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
That's very nice indeed Amir. I have a US Army Engineers' sweater knocking about somewhere that's similar style but a sort of golden-brown colour.

This Simon James Cathcart (SJC) "Boneshaker" looks pretty great!
Screen Shot 2016-12-22 at 11.43.17 PM.jpg

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
That is very, very nice! It has a lot in common with the Guernsey. I also love the shade of green. A very welcome Xmas present for you, I am sure. It goes on my short-list (although I am running out of room to store all my 'manly sweaters').

shadowrider

One of the Regulars
As far as "Manly" goes' my nomination goes to this mans namesake:

View attachment 62163
View attachment 62164
The Marius sweater...
This is Marius Eriksen of Norway. He has traditional areas of "manly" covered: Spitfire Ace, POW, Ski Champ.
He also gets manly marks for being secure enough to wear what amounts to a very busy, colorful sweater with effortless grace.

I recently scored a vintage Marius. I am not sure of its age, but it's interesting to see that the label bears the name of both Marius and of his brother: "MARIUS OG STEIN ERIKSEN".
Any experts on Norwegian seaters have any info on this detail, and/or would know the age of the sweater based on the tag?

s-l400_zpsla1ag08g.jpg

GHT

I'll Lock Up
The chunky sweaters in this thread are great for outdoors, but my preference is for the sleeveless men's knitwear that can be worn indoors. The fair isle pattern sort that were so popular back in the era. To that end I was most pleased with this grey & maroon purchase that my wife found in a charity shop. She spent £3 on it. We joked about spending our hard earned cash, so out of curiosity I looked up on line the manufacturer. Expecting thirty to forty pounds or so, I nearly fainted when the price, new, came up: £540. Anyone else want to send me an unwanted Christmas/birthday present?
Fair Isle & Santa 002.JPG

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
That is a nice old Argyle pattern slipover you have there and a great bargain too. It is amazing what one can pick up in charity shops.

kliffjumper123

Familiar Face
Re. the North Sea Clothing site: I have The Engineer and am very tempted by The Explorer and also the Service Roll Neck to add to my extensive military collection.

I've been able to find an engineer (pull-over WW2 A1 mechanic style) sweater for sale online but am having trouble deciding if I should indeed pull the trigger on purchasing it. Do you have any thoughts on the sweater?

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
I've been able to find an engineer (pull-over WW2 A1 mechanic style) sweater for sale online but am having trouble deciding if I should indeed pull the trigger on purchasing it. Do you have any thoughts on the sweater?
I like it very much. It’s comfortable, durable, warm without being too hot (it ‘breathes’ nicely) and I like the style. I also enjoy the historical associations with the US Engineers in WW2 and the immediate post-War era. I don’t wear it as often as it deserves; it gets pushed out of the way by my Commando sweaters (Woolly Pullies). It’s certainly worth getting.

kliffjumper123

Familiar Face
I like it very much. It’s comfortable, durable, warm without being too hot (it ‘breathes’ nicely) and I like the style. I also enjoy the historical associations with the US Engineers in WW2 and the immediate post-War era. I don’t wear it as often as it deserves; it gets pushed out of the way by my Commando sweaters (Woolly Pullies). It’s certainly worth getting.

I've found someone selling theirs in my size for 65USD brand new with the bag and letter + the box. It sure seems like a good deal. If you don't mind me asking, how do you wear it? Since it is a unique style of sweater, I just wanted to know how I might be able to incorporate it into my style.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
I've found someone selling theirs in my size for 65USD brand new with the bag and letter + the box. It sure seems like a good deal. If you don't mind me asking, how do you wear it? Since it is a unique style of sweater, I just wanted to know how I might be able to incorporate it into my style.

It is a classic style that you can’t go wrong with: gentlemanly yet rugged, with a strong old-fashioned (yet paradoxically timeless) military influence.

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
Filson pullover crew neck sweaters. The USA made one that I own is heavier than most, if not all, jackets that I own and close to as heavy as some of my coats. It’s like wool chain mail.

- Ian

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Filson pullover crew neck sweaters. The USA made one that I own is heavier than most, if not all, jackets that I own and close to as heavy as some of my coats. It’s like wool chain mail.

- Ian
They look very good and I’ve got myself on their mailing list.
(I’m wearing a nice manly Guernsey sweater today - again a bit like ‘wool chain mail’ and with timeless nautical style.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112