Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Metal For Snap Buttons On A Leather Jacket

Edward

Bartender
I've seen all sorts on various jackets over the years. Aluminium is common on the lower end, brass, in my experience, moreso at the upper end. Never seen any lose their functionality evne in seventy or eighty year old jackets, so I doubt there's any practical difference. Indeed, any prolbem I have seen have been more to do with poor insertion / placement / low quality hides than the snaps themselves.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Surely the hardness of the metal must matter?

What holds the snap closed is the spring in the female part, which will always be mate from steel.
I don't think the material of the snap really makes that much difference.
Like @Edward said, failure is usually caused by a bad riveting job, causing one of the part to separate from the leather, not the male nipple getting worn to the point where it doesn't clip securely into the female part.
(that sounds weird...)

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
probably stainless steel is harder than brass, but I will pick brass for the potential patina.
unless you have several snaps at hand and compare them how the click, and check the thickness of the metal, you cant judge hardware quality from the material alone

but I can answer for the worst, the painted snaps, the way they age is horrible because the paint will chip off and hopefully what you see inside is brass and not rusty steel/ iron

Last edited:

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
What holds the snap closed is the spring in the female part, which will always be mate from steel.
I don't think the material of the snap really makes that much difference.
Like @Edward said, failure is usually caused by a bad riveting job, causing one of the part to separate from the leather, not the male nipple getting worn to the point where it doesn't clip securely into the female part.
(that sounds weird...)
This. I have a jacket with one snap that failed like this. Male is stuck in female (weird, lol). Looking for quality solid brass replacement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider