Best Metal For Snap Buttons On A Leather Jacket

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by HeyZeusPenguin, Oct 15, 2019.

1. HeyZeusPenguin

HeyZeusPenguin New in Town

Which is the most long lasting metal for snap buttons for a leather jacket?
    Brass? Steel?

2. Carlos840

Carlos840 Call Me a Cab

No difference...

3. HeyZeusPenguin

HeyZeusPenguin New in Town

Surely the hardness of the metal must matter?

4. Edward

Edward Bartender

I've seen all sorts on various jackets over the years. Aluminium is common on the lower end, brass, in my experience, moreso at the upper end. Never seen any lose their functionality evne in seventy or eighty year old jackets, so I doubt there's any practical difference. Indeed, any prolbem I have seen have been more to do with poor insertion / placement / low quality hides than the snaps themselves.

dannyk likes this.
  5. Carlos840

Carlos840 Call Me a Cab

What holds the snap closed is the spring in the female part, which will always be mate from steel.
    I don't think the material of the snap really makes that much difference.
    Like @Edward said, failure is usually caused by a bad riveting job, causing one of the part to separate from the leather, not the male nipple getting worn to the point where it doesn't clip securely into the female part.
    (that sounds weird...)

navetsea and Edward like this.
  6. navetsea

navetsea Call Me a Cab

probably stainless steel is harder than brass, but I will pick brass for the potential patina.
    unless you have several snaps at hand and compare them how the click, and check the thickness of the metal, you cant judge hardware quality from the material alone

but I can answer for the worst, the painted snaps, the way they age is horrible because the paint will chip off and hopefully what you see inside is brass and not rusty steel/ iron

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    El Marro likes this.