Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Period Road Trip Movies

JakeHolman

One of the Regulars
The lure of the open road... whether its hitching across state lines or motorcycling through the Andes, what are your favourite Period Road Trip movies? I'm a big fan of On the Road so i'm intrigued by the film adaptation, although early reviews suggest its not a patch on the book (how could it be, I guess?). Never-the-less this peculiar genre can make for some great movie moments as they usually explore not just a physical journey but one of the human spirit.

I'm kicking off with an obvious one, The Motorcycle Diaries, not least because of that fantastic old Norton.

And a real classic, It Happened One Night. Of course, not a 'period' piece when it was made but as many of us love the 30s it's more than worthy of inclusion. Almost a 'perfect' film IMO.

So, where has the open road taken you?

davidraphael

Practically Family
My 'modern' favourite is probably Paper Moon

tumblr_m4b7cpxq921qdlhtco1_1280.png

PaperMoon_035Pyxurz.jpg

Other 'moderns':
Bonnie & Clyde
O Brother Where art Thou?
The Searchers
Road to Perdition

Vintage:
Sullivan's Travels
All the Hope/Crosby 'Road to...' movies
Detour
Grapes of Wrath
The Wizard of Oz!

Poster%20-%20Sullivan%27s%20Travels_03.jpg

Last edited:

Captain Lex

One of the Regulars
+1 O Brother Where Art Thou and Sullivan's Travels. The former is just solid good fun, and the latter has some of the best juxtaposition of light and dark (tone, not color) in a film ever. I'd be hard to pressed to really call either road films in the classic, sense, though, so for now I'll have to go also with Paper Moon, as meh as I find the film in general.

PS - Interesting coincidence I forgot until just now - O Brother Where Art Thou's title is a reference to Sullivan's Travels

Chowderhouse

One of the Regulars
I'll add another one that's great, but is largely forgotten. "Something Wild", directed in 1985 by Jonathan Demme. Wonderful in every way. Takes place in '85, but has a strongly vintage feel throughout. (In addition, the main female character looks and dresses vintage, and gets her new boyfriend to go into a funky junk store and buy a vintage suit and tie.)

YouTube has the entire movie for free. You can watch it here (in English, but with Serbian subtitles):

[video=youtube;3yahYr5UWEU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yahYr5UWEU[/video]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24