Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bettie Page Passed Away 12-11-08

Lily Powers

Practically Family
As I scrolled down the posts, I was almost afraid to see her recent photo - she didn't want to be photographed because she wanted people to remember her the way she was - but all her Bettie charm, that impish, genuine smile and sparkling eyes was still there. She looked great. Sad to hear the news of her passing, and I hope the handling of her estate and memory is done with respect.

Inky

One Too Many
I finally got myself together to look at this thread - Bettie's illness these past days and now her passing have been heavy on my mind - she's all over my office and I see her lovely image every day.

I was scared to scroll down to see her more recent photo, having always admired her for not posing so that people would remember her as she was - but to be honest, she was, at 80, a lovely and charming looking woman - nice to see she was still rockin' her bangs and beautiful smile. I should wish to look half that good at 80!

R.I.P. Miss Bettie Page, I for one will miss you dearly and thank you for everything.

Hondo

One Too Many
That photo of her in 2004 was taken with Anna Nicola Smith and Huge Hefner at Playboys 50th anniversary party in L.A.

Bettie did nothing that’s called ‘dirty’ by todays standards, hers was healthy an playful, so she modeled nude, She had the body and looks,
I too have been a Bettie Page fan, collector,
during her highlight career she didn’t see a lot of money,
People used her as they do now, beward of what you purchase.
Va Va Voom! That’s a good one, Thanks Bettie for being you and enjoyable.
You will be sadly missed, R.I.P. :(

pigeon toe

One Too Many
RIP Bettie!

Bettie was what got me into everything vintage at the tender age of 13! She was such a beauty, and so much easier to relate to than the models of today. She will be missed!

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
I too am sad that Bettie has passed away, but I know that she hasn't been well for a few years and I am glad that her suffering is finally over. We will always have the timeless Bettie Page in our hearts (and our screensavers ;) ). She will live on as the icon she always was.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Heres the NYT obit
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/12/arts/12page.html
12page.500.jpg

“I want to be remembered as I was when I was young and in my golden times,” she told The Los Angeles Times in 2006. “I want to be remembered as a woman who changed people’s perspectives concerning nudity in its natural form.”

dahliaoleander

One of the Regulars
pigeon toe said:
RIP Bettie!

Bettie was what got me into everything vintage at the tender age of 13! She was such a beauty, and so much easier to relate to than the models of today. She will be missed!

Same here.

Still in UNBELIEVEABLE shock...

Jedburgh OSS

One of the Regulars
Nevermind Illinois Governor Blagojevich or the failed auto loan bailout; this is what I call a real tragedy. She's the reason the wolf whistle was invented. If you haven't seen The Notorious Bettie Page starring Gretchen Mol, by all means do so.

MadelienneBlack

One of the Regulars
Like many have said, I'm so,so sorry to hear she's passed away, but I'm also glad that she's finally at rest.

To be honest, Bettie doesn't seem like the gal who'd want anyone to mourn her too much. So here's to the life of one of my (and many other's) personal heroes! Cheers.

Hondo

One Too Many
Island of Dreams

Someone on another site who knew Bettie, said they gave her this poem,
which she carried it with her, until she passed on.
I recently lost a dear friend the same day
Bettie died, due to cancer.
Its a nice poem, thought I'd share with you all.
R.I.P. :(

In dreams I own an island

Where Stately palm trees grow,

And when asleep and dreaming

It's there I always go.

I love to walk along the shore

That frames my picture Isle,

For there all of my heartaches leave

And I can only smile.

My island isn't very large,

But it's just right for me -

And I can pass my time away

Just gazing out to the sea.

I feast on Almighty God's store,

I drink of a clear well,

And underneath the stars I sleep

Housed in a wooded dell.

The starry nights are paradise,

That's why I let you know

About the island of my dreams

Where tropic breezes blow.

Anonymous

Chas

One Too Many
Sad, but good that she didn't suffer any more than she did. In a coma, in your sleep or you don't see it or hear it coming. Best way to go.

And go, you must.[huh]

Lorena B

Practically Family
I have been soo sad for her passing, as we can see, everybody has felt it very closely.

She was the epythome for the ultimate sexual fantasy reaching adults via magazines or picsin her time.

I wish more of the nodaways nso called adult magazines models and pics were more inspired on her and her style, she was sexy, erotic but with modesty and decency. Something not so easy to do.
Now is easier show it all off instead of give a push to the male imagination while dressed

Wherever she is, she has left a big heritage to the world, her pics and films, books, a hair style, the icon, an style, a name, a memory.

Rest in peace Bettie.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It's so terribly sad. For ten years, the most popular song I've performed with my Rockabilly band is "My Baby Looks Like Bettie Page." That song will mnever be the same again. It's hard to believe Bettie's really gone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran