Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bicycles & suits

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
MrBern said:
some info on the featured bicycle, the Royal Gazelle

microsite_04.jpg

http://www.clubmonaco.com/042009/cycle-microsite.asp

The bike is $995, but that DOES include shipping. Just in case anyone wanted to know.

LD

Lamplight

One of the Regulars
Creeping Past said:
Here in the British Isles the bicycle clip, a nicely utilitarian accessory, is the primary way of preventing trousers from flapping and becoming oily while cycling. Young people shun them as old-fashioned, preferring to tuck trousers into socks. I've even seen people use elastic bands.

Breeks, or knickers as you call them across the pond (here that's the word we use for ladies underwear, mostly), would be the most stylish way to proceed, but bicycle clips allow the long trousers wearer to cycle in comfort and cleanliness.
Ooh, and they're metal! Very nice. Thursday I found myself needing to get somewhere and I was wearing some ivory linen pants. I tried scotrace's simple rubber band method and it worked pretty well. When I got off the bike I simply pulled the ends of the trousers out of the bands, which were then hidden by the trousers. I didn't even have to remove them!

I like breeks/knickers, but to be honest folks around here think it's strange enough that I'm simply riding a bicycle. I doubt they could handle knickers in a mature fashion. Heck, wearing a suit anywhere but church is cause for alarm around here. :rolleyes:

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
more on the dutch bike

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/04/30/dutch-to-new-york-ride-our-bikes-please/

200 Dutch-style bicycles are coming to New York as part of the 400th anniversary of the Henry Hudson’s landing in New York City

“There is a certain gentility to them which makes you feel like you are biking in 1895, which has a certain appeal,”

And to combat any notion that the bikes may be less than appealing to men than street bikes and mountain bikes, Mr. Novell suggested another advantage: flirting can be easier. “It’s the bike you are using to chat with someone in the bike line,” Mr. Norvell said. “This is the bike you pick up in.”
orangebike.190.jpg

carldelo

One Too Many
Nice article

Interesting about the orange bikes in NYC, wonder if I'll ever see one. Thanks to Robert Moses, the bridges that lead from my home to my job actually do not have bicycle lanes (the Whitestone and Throgs Neck bridges) - quite the legacy. Reading the comments to the article led me to this site:

http://www.copenhagencyclechic.com/

Some very nice photos here of people on bikes in business wear, an odd video from the V&A museum of a chap in a knickers-suit on a bike, plus a short article called "Gentlemen Prefer Bicycles" with retro bike suggestions. The A.N.T. Roadster looks really nice, not to mention that Culotte Velo-Ski postcard.....
PS - yikes, just saw the price for the Roadster, just about spit my coffee on the keyboard...
PPS - ok, there are less expensive options (BR3) and these are fully custom, so it's not that bad.

kkesler

New in Town
The post above jarred my memory. I have used these boot blousers in the past (black on the left in the image). Wide enough to cover some amount of material and the velcro makes them easy on/off. A pair will cover several inches of pants leg on the chain side.

bootbands.jpg

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
What do folks like to do to disguise a bike helmet? I won't go out without one since I had a crackup in 2000. The helmet probably saved my brain.

factionmattolive.gif

I got the Bell Faction in matte OD, as it looks vaguely WW2ish and goes well with flight jackets (my other ride gear of choice).

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many

FRANKIE

New in Town
stephen1965 said:
Nice bike Lamplight.
There is/was a London 'Tweed Run' organized by the London fixed gear forum/community which might provide some fun or a little inspiration when considering vintage cycling..

tweed-run-main.jpg

3222991461_4011b11717.jpg

tweedrun07.jpg

See more: http://www.flickr.com/photos/booksnake/3222991461/

According to the Chap mag, something similar happens in San Francisco.. Anyone know?

Don't know if these have been posted on FL before:
knickers3_01.jpg

knicks_LLE2_01.jpg

Available here if you want new:
http://www.bicyclefixation.com/prod_wool_knickers.html
Those are some great outfits. On a side note, Stephen, who is that in your avatar?

stephen1965

One of the Regulars
Hello Frankie, the avatar is a picture of George Ivanovitch Gurdjieff, a Greek-Armenian mystic and spiritual teacher.(Taken in the late(?) 30's)

The Sydney tweed run was on the 7th June, I believe. Seems that it's becoming a global phenomenon.
tweed.jpg

I have seen some tweed cycling caps that look a bit like a deerstalker but without the flaps. Has anyone seen them or know where they might be made/sold?

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Southern Ontario is another region where summer heat and humidity play havoc with sartorial decision making.

Issues I've come across in the Lounge range from how often one should dry clean suits, if at all, to the demise of summer suits and now cycling in suits!

When we get temps of anything over 20 celsius (abut 72 F), the added humidity can make it feel much warmer and, if nothing else, stickier!

I would prefer a nice airconditioned car to a bike in July where I work, as even a brisk walk in a suit can make one perspire right through it!

H.Johnson

One Too Many
stephen1965 said:
Hello Frankie, the avatar is a picture of George Ivanovitch Gurdjieff, a Greek-Armenian mystic and spiritual teacher.(Taken in the late(?) 30's)

I have seen some tweed cycling caps that look a bit like a deerstalker but without the flaps. Has anyone seen them or know where they might be made/sold?

His 'Meetings with Remarkable Men' should be required reading for Loungers. Not so sure about 'Beelzebub's Tales to His Grandson', though...

You mean like the Olney E29 Stalker? (Now there's a name for a hat...)

stephen1965

One of the Regulars
H.Johnson said:
His 'Meetings with Remarkable Men' should be required reading for Loungers. Not so sure about 'Beelzebub's Tales to His Grandson', though...

You mean like the Olney E29 Stalker? (Now there's a name for a hat...)

Sorry for late reply.

Yes, he was a remarkable fellow alright.

Yes I did mean the Olney didn't I..thankyou:)
Found this tweed Paul Smith(keen cyclist) cap
paul_smith_cap.jpg

or this (for women):
rocketfuel.jpg

or this:
20693.50937_e.jpg

Also in my search i found this pic which i thought was quite charming..
cyclist.jpg

Edward

Bartender
cloudspotter said:
that's mine since it turned to be warm last days - only have to take care to avoid the chain with the pants ...
Doug2.jpg

Nice! Vintage? I'd love to cycle to work, but I simply won't risk it on the London roads. Ideally, I'd love a bike something like this, even if storage in my third floor flat might be an issue!

For those looking for helmets, this thread might help:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=1149

Lamplight

One of the Regulars
MisterCairo said:
Southern Ontario is another region where summer heat and humidity play havoc with sartorial decision making.

Issues I've come across in the Lounge range from how often one should dry clean suits, if at all, to the demise of summer suits and now cycling in suits!

When we get temps of anything over 20 celsius (abut 72 F), the added humidity can make it feel much warmer and, if nothing else, stickier!

I would prefer a nice airconditioned car to a bike in July where I work, as even a brisk walk in a suit can make one perspire right through it!
I live in Tennessee and bike everywhere all year round (I don't own a car). It is miserable in the summer, but luckily my job basically requires cheap ratty clothing in the first place (warehouse manager).

I should also add that at 10:30am this morning the heat index was already 102 here. :mad: I can't imagine cycling in summer here in anything more than a t shirt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner