Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Biker Jacket question

JumpBoot

One of the Regulars
I've noticed that they all seem to have the zipper at an angle. Can anyone tell me why that is? What does that position do that a standard vertical zipper does not?

Respectfully,

JB

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Good question. Although it's only some models that do this. Many bike jackets such as the venerable cafe racer generally has a straight up and down zip.

John Warr

Familiar Face
I've noticed that they all seem to have the zipper at an angle. Can anyone tell me why that is? What does that position do that a standard vertical zipper does not?
JB

The "lancer" front has an advantage in addition to being a fashion. With a wide overlap, it effectively gives a double layer at the front which is therefore warmer.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
It's called a Lancer style because it resembles the old pre-20th century European military jacket that buttons up at an angle. Put Lancer uniform in Google images and you will see many examples. Crimean war, is typical, all countries armies adopted this style.
A womans jacket zips from the bottom right to the upper left, a mans from bottom left to top right.
I think the front straight zip 'Cafe Racer' style is a term made up by the modern jacket manufacturers,I may be wrong, or taken from a makers design and now a general term for a straight zip 'shirt collarless' jacket with a throat closure somtimes refered to as 'Mandarin'(Chinese)
The old British motorcyclists usually refered to as Rockers sometimes rode "Cafe racer' style motorbikes though they often wore Lancer style jackets, old Irvins, ex army jerkins etc. 'Cafe' though to be authentic is pronounced Caff and not cafey, as in Hooray(take no notice of the US TV haha, we the British invented the term;) )
J

coloradorider

One of the Regulars

Respectfully,

JB

Hi JB, the double layer of leather in the front of the jacket that the zipper angle supports offers a little more protection from the wind. The zipper angle also allows for more venting options so the jacket is more usable/comfortable in a wider range of temperatures. The straight zip is fine if you dress appropriately for the weather but venting options with a cafe racer are pretty much zero since the jacket will want to balloon or flap if you unzip it too far. Cheers

SHOWSOMECLASS

A-List Customer
Thanks very much for the explanation! Now it makes sense. I'm leaning towards a Schott.
Check put Legendary USA Inc. their horse hide jackets are made by Schott. Price is the same on a Schott from them if you choose plus a 10% discount forever, free shipping and one free return shipping. You can also get 10% for using the facebook coupon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot