Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bill Kelso A2 Jacket

Jaguar66

A-List Customer
I bought a Bill Kelso "house" A2 in russet. It is a 42, which is my normal size. It was quite snug, but with some wear and stretching, it is quite a nice fit. The leather is a "squeaky" leather, stretchable to a degree, but looks on a par with G&Bs russet leather (though I have never seen a GB). The size is probably similar to WWII sizes, the sleeves are so snug, at the forearm, that this will be my T-shirt A2.

http://www.billkelsomfg.com/site/main.php

P1010447Medium.jpg

P1010444Medium.jpg

P1010441Medium.jpg

P1010440Medium.jpg

P1010439Medium.jpg
[/

53Effie

A-List Customer
Nice jacket and looks good on you. I don't know that I have seen pics of the Bill Kelso here on the Lounge before. Thanks for posting and enjoy.

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
The epaulettes look great. My point of interest on A-2s are on the epaulette construction. Very nice! The design is similar to the G&B, but your thread color is a nice contrast; something G&B lacks.

Last edited:

L'Onset

Familiar Face
I bought an A2 from Bill Kelso recently. It hasn't arrived yet. When it comes i'll let you see some pics. I was looking for a mid-priced and well made jacket and this one seemed to fit my requirements. And if it looks on me as good as it looks on Jaguar66 I'll be really very pleased.

But now I want to thank Andy for the good communication. I asked a few questions and his attention has been great all the time.:eusa_clap

He informed me that he model on their website is discontinued because they have taken on making a repro of a Rough Wear contract (didn't tell me which one) and made jackets both seal brown and russet brown. As it seemed difficult for me to make a choice :eusa_doh: I asked him for samples of both tones of leather, and also because the russet as it appeared on his gallery seemed a bit distorted.
While waiting for those samples they posted a jacket on Ebay that happens to be my size but only on seal brown, so a little push was given :bump2:to my choice, specially because the starting auction price was some 200 US$ under the retail online-shop price!
My preferences were on the side of the russet brown, but 200 $ are a good reason to appreciate seal brown as a very nice color for a jacket indeed !:rolleyes:
I was the only bidder so I got the jacket for the starting bid of 300 US$
"Unfortunately" (ironic) they mailed me to say that this very jacket had been sold already and they only could serve a russet one.

So I'm now waiting for the jacket that was my first choice and I always wanted but better priced than I expected.

Dodo

Familiar Face
Lucky lounger!!! hope you'll like the new jacket and wait for your report!
Can you share the ebay seller? maybe some of us can find a good bargain as you did!!
thanks

L'Onset

Familiar Face
Hi Dodo.
The Ebay seller is the same as in the online store.The Ebay nick is "billkelso" (just like that, no capitals and no gap between words)
The online store is http://www.billkelsomfg.com/site/main.php
I don't know why they decided to post one single jacket on Ebay.
They sell them online, though their website seems to be a bit outdated since the new model and colour that Andy (who is also a FLounger) showed me by email aren't posted there. I suggest to ask them directly any question you may have, using the contact address on their website.

The store price is stated in Euro (350 Eur + 50 Shipping costs), the starting price on Ebay was 300 US$ + 45 US$ Shipping (just make your numbers, as you are in Europe) Besides, I've learned that importing leather goods into Italy is a bit awkward because some regulations, but this shouldn't apply to products from other EU contries (Greece).

Anyway the jacket seems fairly good and way down the 450 GBP of Aeros or even more for Eastmans (I don't pretend to compare BillKelso's, because I've never seen any of them three, but keeps the garment in a price level affordable for me)

And of course as soon as I have it on me I'll take and post pictures.;)

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
Looks good Jaguar. Thanks for posting the pics. Not seen one with any wear up to now. You can wear that beauty with pride.

No doubt so-called 'experts' will turn up an say how this or that detail doesn't match an original Rough Wear or the greatest jacket maker of all times jackets but for the money you can't fault that at all. This proves you don't have to pay premium prices to get a very authentic looking A-2. After all, back in the day, they were a cheap jacket :) $1,000 for an A-2 my ar*e !! Emperor's new clothes methinks ;-)

blethook

One of the Regulars
I agree... Bill Kelso A-2 jackets will probably satisfy the majority of A-2 jacket fans...

Those who are into the minute details however will probably stick with the high end repros (GW, ELC, etc.) & will be happy to spend top dollars on their A-2s.

I would be interested to see close up photos of the hide used ...

Looks good Jaguar. Thanks for posting the pics. Not seen one with any wear up to now. You can wear that beauty with pride.

No doubt so-called 'experts' will turn up an say how this or that detail doesn't match an original Rough Wear or the greatest jacket maker of all times jackets but for the money you can't fault that at all. This proves you don't have to pay premium prices to get a very authentic looking A-2. After all, back in the day, they were a cheap jacket :) $1,000 for an A-2 my ar*e !! Emperor's new clothes methinks ;-)

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The latest Bill Kelso RW repro is an excellent jacket for the price. Most of the details are spot on and I hope the jacket sells well as they are very good value compared with those from the high end makers.

Edward

Bartender
Andrew, how would you rate them by comparison to an Aero Real Deal? I have a space in my wardrobe for an A2 in Russett (specifically thinking of making up a decalled one for the...... gah, forgotten the number, but the CBI theatre fighter group into which the AVG pilots transferred once the US entered the war officially). Last time I looked at the price of these, there was little to no real difference between that and the Aero when the postage was taken into account, but I'm thinking of looking to the used market.

aswatland

Edward, I not seen either jacket in the flesh, only in photos and both seem to be good value repros in their own way. BTW some members of the AVG joined the 14th AF.

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
14th AF, 23 Fighter Group.
Andrew... ELC RW 27752. HPA in New Jersey has one left. I ordered it to try on and get a size for the .50 Cal. Is the 27752 roomy or snug in your opinion? Would the cut be the same as the .50 cal?
Thanks
John
Sorry to jump topic

aswatland

I have only ever owned one ELC RW 27752 and it was made around 8 years ago. This one was roomier than the .50 Cal. Originals from this contract vary as I have owned a tagged size 44 which was like a wartime 40 and another tagged size 44 which fits more like a wartime 46. The key thing is to go by the measurements!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo