Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bills Khakis . . . what do you think ?

tonypaj

Practically Family
I have 4 pairs, I think. Two cotton, two corduroy. Nice pants, but run slightly smaller than RRLs (I have a few of those, as well), don't know if Bills are a bit small or RRL a bit large. Not much to choose from between them, but on the last trip to Nairobi I had the tailor make 3 copies of RRLs. When I go there next, it will be Bills that will be the model, I'm wearing a pair as I write this.

tomfrankjon

Banned
I have had those, and have got some great reviews from many people, they are pretty good and suits well to every build, although they are a bit on the expensive side, but that's all worth full.

----------------
bills khakis

Ishmael

Practically Family
Not sure how much they run in Europe and North America, but I love my Buzz Rickson Original Specs. Great pants.

10521482.jpg

Last edited:

Cole

One of the Regulars

Ishmael

Practically Family
Not me in the photo. But it is the same pant. BR Original Spec. I don't have a photo of me in them, but I would say they basically look as in the photo.

oneterrifichog

Practically Family
Orvis has in their sale page a good pair of Khakis in what they call a "Slim fit." Since my ass dissapeared a few years ago (a product of aging) these are perfect for me. They are not at all tight but that kind of comfortable I like. I assume y'all are aware that most of the military khakis were tailored by the GI's so this is like getting a pair of Khakis already finished. I know this because my Gradfather ran a lucrative business during WW II tailoring military clothing, particularly "Pinks" and Khakis. I digress though and should add that these Khakis on Orvis can be picked up for $48.00 to $64.00 pending on the day you catch it on their sight. Oh yeah they ain't made in the U.S.A. but they do fit well. Check out the review section when you pull them up.

Last edited:

thor

Call Me a Cab
I agree with Oneterrifichog; Orvis offers some great khaki trousers at reasonable prices. Their wrinkle-free Ultimate khakis are a winner as are their Surf-washed vintage khakis.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I own s number of Bill's slacks and 5 pocket pants (jeans). Bill's jeans 36 jeans are a good fit for my 37-38 waist. I particularly like the "Bullard" pants in 38 M2 slightly loose in the waist but would be too tight in size 36. Howell's has online sales at 20% off and free shipping a couple of times per year and good to get on their email list. I have slowly replaced all of my casual pants with Bill's and wear his Bullard M2's with shirt, tie, and blazer to work 2-3 times per week. The Bullard comes in khaki, British khaki, and olive. I have all three plus a lot of others too.

DougC

Practically Family
I did the same thing (traded out all non-Bill's for Bill's)--I have a pair of Bill's in vintage twill, two pairs of original, and a pair of button fly khakis--the button flys are my favorites. I also have three pairs of jeans. All are 34s of different lengths (34 for boots and 32s for shoes). I think khakis and jeans are very well made.

MillersCrossing

Familiar Face
I just paid an obscene amount of money for a pair of 'designer' khakis - made by Lee 101. They are tapered and come with a worn, vintage look. I'm not used to a tapered leg but my wife says they are right on... and the women usually know best! Opinions?

025-2.jpg

Edward

Bartender
I just paid an obscene amount of money for a pair of 'designer' khakis - made by Lee 101. They are tapered and come with a worn, vintage look. I'm not used to a tapered leg but my wife says they are right on... and the women usually know best! Opinions?

025-2.jpg

They look a little low in the waist - though this may be camera angle, and is to personal taste. More pegged than I'd go for most of the time myself (I'm all about the wide leg), but again that's personal choice. The one thing I'd suggest is maybe thinknig of taking them up a fraction of an inch as it looks like they might be piling a bit at the ankle? Or cuff (usually my preferred option).

For myself, I'd try Bills if they were widely available over here and I could see a pair in advance. I do have one pair of PIRs and I definitely plan to get more. That, and I've been pleased with the cheap cotton Summer issue tropical trews (repro) I bought from WPG for buttons this Summer.

seabass

Call Me a Cab
M C
khakis vary in cut & era
Originaly a Military pant, full cut & higher waist,big button fly.
Modern stuff is just going with the flow. Tighter fit, lower rise, pegged at the bottom & Painfully Ball Crushing & worse tiny litte zipper crotch.
But it all depends on your taste for Era past or present.
Bill's would give you more of a dressier version of a closer vintage fit but not full cut as originals
lee 101 is a cowboy cut & straight leg as there jeans & there jeans are tough & last

Last edited:

MillersCrossing

Familiar Face
Appreciate the feedback. They aren't traditionally styled (as in WWII), that's for sure... its a more modern cut. High pants dont work for me though, my front porch gets in the way. :D What I liked about them is the colour and the very thick cotton they've used. Plus they have a button fly, which is cool. The taper isnt as extreme as most pants these days, so I'm hoping I can get away with it. As to the length, I hate having my pants shortened, so I wont buy trousers if they arent the right length. These are perhaps a tad long, but I can live with it. Rather too long than too short I always say. ;)

Anyway, take a look at this blog for more on Lee101, its pretty dang cool! http://lee101.tumblr.com/

They look a little low in the waist - though this may be camera angle, and is to personal taste. More pegged than I'd go for most of the time myself (I'm all about the wide leg), but again that's personal choice. The one thing I'd suggest is maybe thinknig of taking them up a fraction of an inch as it looks like they might be piling a bit at the ankle? Or cuff (usually my preferred option).

For myself, I'd try Bills if they were widely available over here and I could see a pair in advance. I do have one pair of PIRs and I definitely plan to get more. That, and I've been pleased with the cheap cotton Summer issue tropical trews (repro) I bought from WPG for buttons this Summer.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo