Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Biltmore Eleganza vs Stetson Firenze

wgiceman

One of the Regulars
Hello,

I was looking to get a nice dress fedora but don't want to break the bank to do so. I am considering the Biltmore Eleganza or the Stetson Firenze. Of the two, which do you guys think is best, and why? Also, are there other suggestions?

Thanks.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If you really don't want to break the bank, go Akubra. Go to HatsDirect and look through their various fedoras, especially the Federation IV, the Campdraft, the Squatter and the Stylemaster. You could get a pure rabbit fur fedora built tough for the outback and shipping from Australia for about the same price.

Of the two, however, I'm a big fan of the Biltmore, especially considering the variety of colors it comes in.

But seriously, research Akubra and ask around on the forums. If you can't find what you need from Akubra, definitely go for the Biltmore.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Of the two, I like the Biltmore better. Mainly it's a style issue. I don't really care for Stetson's center dent "all our hats look alike" shape. Too tapered for my tastes.

That aside from that, you might be able to save a couple of bucks with the Baldwin on this page; http://www.millerhats.com/mdressfelt_index/derby1.htm

It's actually made by Biltmore for Miller Hats, and is very nice (actually, all Miller branded hats on this website are Biltmore unless otherwise noted). I had two back when I started wearing hats regularly. If my head had not grown slightly, I might still have them. It's basically the Eliganza, but with a thinner ribbon and a choice of brim widths. The Steel Gray is beautiful!

If you are interested in the best hat you can get under $150, I suggest the Akubra Federation from hatsdirect.com Yes, the international shipping is high, but with the lower price of the hat itself, and the better materials, it's works out. However, speaking in terms of looks and touch, the Biltmores and Millers seem dressier and classier. Also, the Federation has to be shaped by you, which is not hard but can intimidate people.

I'm not saying that Biltmore is poor quality, though. They just can handle as much abuse and water as the Akubras can.

Welcome to our illness.

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I suggest the Stetson Firenze is worth a long look. I have one and am very happy with it. Check out the "Stetson Firenze" thread. The Akubra is a great starter hat however; I bought two of them in the last 2 years or so, just to play with: a moonstone FEDIV and a glen grey Camp Draft. I have handled several Biltmores but never owned one and I prefer the Stetson many times over.

jbucklin

Practically Family
Being an owner of a Firenze, I thought I might chime in here. I'm relatively new to hats in general, so my opinion may not have much weight since I don't own hats from a multitude of brands and am lacking in experience, but here goes: I have seriously considered getting a Biltmore, but am cautious about buying without first handling a hat, trying it on, etc. I did take a chance on the Federation IV Deluxe and am quite happy with the results, but still like to see what hats look like on me before I take the plunge. Fortunately I live within minutes of the Stetson/Dobbs/Resistol factory, with their outlet store right next door to it, so I am able to try on many different hats. The Firenze is a very impressive Stetson model. Some may not like the style, (center-dent, taper, etc.) but there is no denying that it is a very well-made hat with high-quality felt (beaver/rabbit blend) that is stunning to look at and handle. Here are some pics of me wearing the Firenze (sorry for the redundancy if you've already seen these):

Photo162-1.jpg

Photo90.jpg

Photo85.jpg

Photo94.jpg

Photo167.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80