Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Biltmore Homburg

Canadave

One Too Many
I recently picked up a milan straw Biltmore Homburg that hatlady ordered for me and stretched from a 7 5/8. I'm very happy with it! :) She requested that they replace the leather sweatband with this fabric one. The colour, as it appears in the photo of the hat in hand, is the least realistic. The other photos represent the colour pretty well.

biltmore3.JPG

biltmore2.JPG

biltmore5.JPG

David

STHill

One of the Regulars
That is a cool hat, Dave. By the way, I like your new avatar. Finally, we get to see what you really look like!

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Nice hat there my friend. Now post some pictures with it on your head so we can see that ugly face of yours. I know you don't look like your avatar. Buster is to good looking!LOL LOL :) LOL LOL

Dear David,

I remember my grandfather used to have a hat like that. He took it everywhere with him even though he had "better" hats. Brings back memories.
Man that hat looks big when you turn it over. The underside photo reminds me of a bassinet. If you have kids then you have a dual use lid there. :cool2:
All kidding aside, we need to have a context for the hat. All we see is the back of your head. At least back up a bit so we can see how it relates to your shoulder width. A nice hat needs a context. I am sure you do not look like Kramer from Seinfeld so go ahead a post the pictures. :D

Regards to all,

J

Imahomer

Practically Family
My Dad used to have a hat just like that. I don't think I could pull off the look, but I always thought it looked cool on him.

Canadave

One Too Many
Originally posted by jamespowers
Dear David,

I remember my grandfather used to have a hat like that. He took it everywhere with him even though he had "better" hats. Brings back memories...Man that hat looks big when you turn it over. The underside photo reminds me of a bassinet. If you have kids then you have a dual use lid there.

OK, now you're bringing back memories, and they're not happy ones. :(

When I was a kid, people used to tease me about my big head. One particularly trying day, my dad asked what was wrong. I told him and he tried to console me.

"C'mon son, don't let it bother you. You know how kids are...and besides, your head isn't that big. Chin up, boy. Now, do your dad a favour, and run to the store and pick up 10lbs of potatos."

"Alright dad", I said. "Give me a bag to carry them in."

"What do you need a bag for?" He said. "Use your cap!"

;)

OK, I'll post some other pics so you can see my "shoulder width". Nathan, I would say the straw falls somewhere in between soft and stiff. Stiffer than a Panama, but softer than a Resistol. (Does that make any sense?) What is a good measure?

Thanks for the kind words, guys,

David

Originally posted by Canadave
OK, now you're bringing back memories, and they're not happy ones. :(

When I was a kid, people used to tease me about my big head. One particularly trying day, my dad asked what was wrong. I told him and he tried to console me.

"C'mon son, don't let it bother you. You know how kids are...and besides, your head isn't that big. Chin up, boy. Now, do your dad a favour, and run to the store and pick up 10lbs of potatos."

"Alright dad", I said. "Give me a bag to carry them in."

"What do you need a bag for?" He said. "Use your cap!"

;)

What a story! Ok, now I believe you are Buster. LOL LOL :cool2:

Regards to all,

J

rayk

Familiar Face
Very sharp hat!! I have a milan straw in a gold color, but it's not nearly as nice a hat as that.

Canadave

One Too Many
Originally posted by SHARPETOYS
Hey Dave,
I believe they call that a "Milan" straw by Biltmore.

Didn't I say that? "I recently picked up a milan straw Biltmore Homburg..." or do you mean I didn't capitalise the "M"?

Wow...pick-eeeee! :D

David

Thanks rayk. Any chance of posting a pic? Just make sure we can see your shoulders...apparently, that's really important! :p :p :p

rayk

Familiar Face
Matt is correct. A Homburg is very specific in its design. Your Milan straw is very nice, but not a homburg. This is a Homburg, albeit in felt.

Canadave

One Too Many
Originally posted by rayk
Matt is correct. A Homburg is very specific in its design. Your Milan straw is very nice, but not a homburg. This is a Homburg, albeit in felt.

Interesting. Biltmore CALLS it a homburg. Are you saying the brim (almost a pencil roll) distinguishes it as a homburg?

David

PS For those of you who wanted to see the hat in context with the rest of my torso, here are some more pics. (My wife said you just wanted to get a gander at my huge noggin!)

biltmoreB.JPG

I tend to wear it tipped back a bit, like this;

BiltmoreA.JPG

Here's a profile;

BiltmoreC.JPG

Hope that helps ya out! ;)

D

rayk

Familiar Face
With all due respect, many hatters too liberally interpret classic styles. A fairly decent, if still inadequate, definition of a Homburg is offered by our friends at the Village Hat Shop.

I'm confident that were you to research the origin of the Homburg, you would find that it was historically made of felt, and defined by strict specs. Calling a straw hat a Homburg is essentially similar (IMHO) to calling a non-Ecuadorian hat of straw not from the carludovica plamata a Montecristi, or even Panama hat. Flexibly interpreted, I suppose you could call the Biltmore straw a Homburg, but you must be prepared for argument. ;)

I must admit that I possess no scholarly knowledge of the Homburg, and offer you my humble opinion only...one I've acquired from reading and discussions; therefore, I'm open to correction, should anyone have information about the specifications of the Homburg of which I'm ignorant.

Definitions of the Homburg, notwithstanding, you have a great lid.

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Dave wrote,
PS For those of you who wanted to see the hat in context with the rest of my torso, here are some more pics. (My wife said you just wanted to get a gander at my huge noggin!)

Can i get away on here calling you a sh-- a-- LOL LOL :rage: LOL LOL

Ok Dave,

I can see that the hat has a good context with you. Particularly when that familiar image is included. For some reason you look an awful lot like Zohar in one of those pictures but with a bigger melon. LOL
I like the side view the best. Mybe Ripley will be able to use that picture. I believe it. :D

Regards to all,

J

Imahomer

Practically Family
I've always thought the size of ones melon depended on various factors Like... If you've got a good size bean and you are 5'4", people are going to notice that bad boy. If you've got the same size noggin and you are 6'3", you might fly under the radar.

Plus there are things like how you present yourself. I have a fellow at work with a good size head and likes to keep it shaved. His dome looks like a rather grand light bulb, which earned him the nickname of kilowatt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran