Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Biz of WWII collectibles

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
NYTimes article on WWII collectibles

i like this quote from the Frasca AirMuseum:

“Once we were giving a tour to some Japanese clients and we put on a dogfight between the Wildcat and the Zero, a Japanese aircraft,” Mr. Frasca recalled, referring to a simulated battle. “Our Zero has been shot down about 600 times in previous shows, but this once we offered the opportunity to have the Wildcat shot down, in return for a large order.”

18spend.xlarge1.jpg

Dan Crews bought his first World War II collectible — a German eagle patch worn on a soldier’s uniform — for $2 when he was 12. He now has a collection of 400 pieces of memorabilia that he estimates to be worth $20,000

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
For six years I volunteered and created historical displays each month out of my own pocket for a non-profit.

Once, a person gifted a Jewish Star from his family to me worn during WW2 under the provision that I never sell it, and use it for education to teach others.

I consider myself fortunate to be given such a precious gift to share when it could have been sold for serious money to a collector of memorabilia.

Vintage Betty

Nice work, Ms. Betty.

I had something similar happen once, when I was looking to buy a couple sets of WWII-surplus grips for 1911 pistols--since the guy was looking to get rid of his entire stash, he tacked it all onto my order at no charge, with the understanding that I would pass them on to similarly-minded shooter/collector/historians as they had been given to me. Once I get 'em all rounded up and photos shot, there are two particular Loungers who will get first pick...

Vintage Betty

Diamondback said:
Nice work, Ms. Betty.

I had something similar happen once, when I was looking to buy a couple sets of WWII-surplus grips for 1911 pistols--since the guy was looking to get rid of his entire stash, he tacked it all onto my order at no charge, with the understanding that I would pass them on to similarly-minded shooter/collector/historians as they had been given to me. Once I get 'em all rounded up and photos shot, there are two particular Loungers who will get first pick...

Very cool. Sometimes I forget how nice people have been to me.

I once won an ebay auction for a Hand-etched personalized WW1 Canteen (eating) set (for the historical displays mentioned above - I was doing a display on US Veterans), and the seller contacted me and said Why are you buying this? You are the first woman to buy anything from me in 13 years in business. lol

After he found out what I was doing, he tucked a bunch of medals and related items into the shipment at no charge for me to use.

Some pretty nice people out there, yes?

Vintage Betty

Vintage Betty

Diamondback said:
Indeed. Seems to be a trend that just when I hit either end of believing the worst (or conversely the best, alas), about us as a species, somebody does something to prove otherwise. But I'm getting philosophical and going O/T...

:rage: :rage: :rage: Those nice people! How DARE they do nice things to you? :rage: :rage: :rage: :eek: :D

Teekay44

One of the Regulars
Veteran Gifts

I have been putting on living history displays, talks and running events for over 14 years in my area here. Many times someone gets ahold of me later and offers me stuff. That is NOT the reason I do this but it is nice to be able to show the stuff. The veterans and/or their families are very grateful that the things are being used for this purpose and that someone who cares about them is getting them. Kind of sad sometimes that no one wants the stuff. here are some things I got.

I was doing US paratrooper (Pre HBO) and an older guy was standing in the back of the group when I was talking. He then came back about an hour later and said " Your telling it right" and put 2 patches in my hand. I thanked him as he walked off(he didn't want to stick around) and then looked at the patches. A 1st Allied Airborne patch on felt and an uncut pathfinder patch (Super rare) both English made. I was stunned.

A Marine Vet gave me his HBT 3 pocket that he wore on the 'canal.

A Navy submariner gave me his knife he wore. He was injured in a depth charge attack and let off at Guam. His sub then went on to eternal patrol with all hands. He was one of 3 let off.

A USAAF P-51 pilot gave me his training books Flight kit and maps.

I have been given boots, blankets, uniforms, mess kits, field gear, photos and more. All have been carefully documented. Anything I am given is used by me at displays and will be given to others who appreciate it. It will not be sold. I am ever grateful to these men and women and feel honored to receive such items.

KilroyCD

One Too Many
Teekay44 said:
I have been putting on living history displays, talks and running events for over 14 years in my area here. Many times someone gets ahold of me later and offers me stuff. That is NOT the reason I do this but it is nice to be able to show the stuff. The veterans and/or their families are very grateful that the things are being used for this purpose and that someone who cares about them is getting them. Kind of sad sometimes that no one wants the stuff. here are some things I got.

I was doing US paratrooper (Pre HBO) and an older guy was standing in the back of the group when I was talking. He then came back about an hour later and said " Your telling it right" and put 2 patches in my hand. I thanked him as he walked off(he didn't want to stick around) and then looked at the patches. A 1st Allied Airborne patch on felt and an uncut pathfinder patch (Super rare) both English made. I was stunned.

A Marine Vet gave me his HBT 3 pocket that he wore on the 'canal.

A Navy submariner gave me his knife he wore. He was injured in a depth charge attack and let off at Guam. His sub then went on to eternal patrol with all hands. He was one of 3 let off.

A USAAF P-51 pilot gave me his training books Flight kit and maps.

I have been given boots, blankets, uniforms, mess kits, field gear, photos and more. All have been carefully documented. Anything I am given is used by me at displays and will be given to others who appreciate it. It will not be sold. I am ever grateful to these men and women and feel honored to receive such items.
Similar things have happened to me as well. Like Teekay44, I am also involved in living history (although I portray the civilian side - usually Civilian Defense), and have had people give me artifacts that they or a relative had/used during the war. I was recently given a white nightstick that was issued to and carried by an Air Raid Warden in Long Beach, NY. The gentleman who gave it to me told me his father carried it to help enforce the blackout. Like Teekay44, I too will never sell items given to me by veterans or their relatives.

Mike K.

One Too Many
Question for everyone...

I am a very avid collector of WWII aviation items...anything Army Air Forces related. Many of my collectibles are authentic vintage pieces, while a few others are high-quality replicas. As someone who has spent many years in the education field, I am very interested in putting on living history displays and talks. Can anyone offer suggestions on how to get started?

Vintage Betty

Mike K. said:
I am a very avid collector of WWII aviation items...anything Army Air Forces related. Many of my collectibles are authentic vintage pieces, while a few others are high-quality replicas. As someone who has spent many years in the education field, I am very interested in putting on living history displays and talks. Can anyone offer suggestions on how to get started?

What is your budget?
Is this for profit or education?
Who will be your audience?
What information do you hope to convey?

Vintage Betty

Mike K.

One Too Many
What is your budget?
Are you referring to a budget for acquisition of historic pieces? If so, I don't really have any budget but just purchase a few items here & there.

This would definitely be for education. I wasn't even aware of any profit potential.

That's where I thought you might be of some assistance. I'd really love to get involved with some sort of living history/educational opportunities, but don't know where/how to start. There are plenty of schools in my area, no re-enactment groups that I know of, and a large population of retirees (i.e. possible WWII vets to help).

At no time in history has America had such an aerial armada as came about during the second world war. Many people don't even realize that the first Americans in combat in Europe (for much of the early stages of the war) were aircrews. The average age was about 19, and the chances of coming back home were not so good. There were no smart bombs, no stealth aircraft...just young men, metal & cloth aircraft, and a sense of duty. I'd like others to understand what these brave souls faced, what they wore, how they lived, how they fought, and what was at stake.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Mike, I do presentations for the Joshua Tree Park Association. They have regular lectures scheduled at our local Historical Society here in 29 Palms. I let them know what I'd like to talk about, and they put me on the schedule. When I did my lecture on the Army Air Force glider training program, I did it in the uniform of a glider pilot (and then drove straight to the QM that night).

Presenting1sm.jpg

I got an incredible amount of positive feedback on the whole affair, and have been asked to give the lecture three times since. People really responded to the uniform, and I worked it into the presentation, as if I were delivering the lecture to recruit future glider pilots. There must be a similar organization near you; well, near, maybe Miami!

Warden

One Too Many
I must admit, Mrs D & I have been collecting for about 12 years now and the house, shed and garage are now full, its a shame as we keeping seeing wonderful items, but just don't have the space.

The greatest thing we have been given, (apart from family items) was a complete set of 37 pattern webbing. This chap gave it to us at a re enactment event, saying he wore it for the whole of the 'duration', but it was of no use to him and so did we want it?

Now that was special

Harry

Mike K.

One Too Many
I've actually been collecting since I was a young kid. My grandfather was an F-86 Sabre pilot in the Korean War (served with the famous 4th Fighter Group) and that's what got me started. Before selling off some of my collection, I had some early USAF uniforms, a Vietnam era flight helmet, and miscellaneous ribbons and rank insignia. I just inherited my grandfather's flight suit, his pocket bible (dating back to his WWII years as an aviation cadet), and a few other items. Over the past several years, I've begun focusing more on WWII items only. My current collection includes several flight helmets and flight suits, various personal items (certification cards, bibles, etc.), goggles, mae west, etc. My study is turning into a virtual museum. It's quite interesting because half the study is WWII aviation stuff and the other half is classic safari gear.

kampkatz

Practically Family
About two years ago I met an elderly gent who told me about how he visited schools to talk about his WW2 experiences in the Corp of Engineers. Sadly he
hadn't saved any uniform items. I happened to have some extra uniform jackets and patches from my late father in law who had gone from private to captain in the C of E. When I gave the gentleman an Ike jacket, appropriate garrison cap, patches and stripes(buck sgt.) he was quite thankful. Now around 85, he doesn't have too many years left to share those stories, but I was glad to help him out.

Vintage Betty

I'm going to reply to this very quickly, because I have to run off and do something else. So please assume I will come back and add more to this thread later!

Mike K. said:
What is your budget?
Are you referring to a budget for acquisition of historic pieces? If so, I don't really have any budget but just purchase a few items here & there.

VB: I would suggest you start by cataloging your collection and finding a common thread of all relevant items.
Than, figure out a budget and make a list of what items you want in the next year which specifically have to do with your area of expertise to enhance your talk or collection.

Mike K. said:
This would definitely be for education. I wasn't even aware of any profit potential.

VB: Unless you are a published author or are a very good talker, let's assume you will be a volunteer.
Where do you want to volunteer? Kids? Adults? General Community?
What amount of time do you want to donate giving talks each month? Each year?
Are you available on weekdays to speak to children? Weekends? Nights?

Mike K. said:
That's where I thought you might be of some assistance. I'd really love to get involved with some sort of living history/educational opportunities, but don't know where/how to start. There are plenty of schools in my area, no re-enactment groups that I know of, and a large population of retirees (i.e. possible WWII vets to help).

VB: I'd start by calling the school district office, stating you are a historian who would like to know if teachers studying World War II history would be interested in having a speaker come and bringing his collection to their classroom. Due to security purposes, expect the immediate response to be NO.
Than I'd draw up a letter on letterhead, explaining the various talks you can give, the dates and times you are available, and that you are willing to work with teachers to enhance their school curriculum. If possible, include a picture of yourself with your collection and references if you have any. Send this letter to all school principals.
Be very sensitive to the teachers curriculum, and ask teachers how much time you have to speak. I also love to bring items for people to handle. It's absoutely amazing how people go from mild interest to being astounded they are holding something in their hands that is a part of history. And if you can get people to use that item (put the helmet on their head, stamp that old rubber stamp on a piece of paper), even better.
Costuming groups and old age homes and even churches will all appreciate your efforts. But don't start your search in December, you are wasting your time due to the many carolers and holiday programs that take place this month.

Mike K. said:
At no time in history has America had such an aerial armada as came about during the second world war. Many people don't even realize that the first Americans in combat in Europe (for much of the early stages of the war) were aircrews. The average age was about 19, and the chances of coming back home were not so good. There were no smart bombs, no stealth aircraft...just young men, metal & cloth aircraft, and a sense of duty. I'd like others to understand what these brave souls faced, what they wore, how they lived, how they fought, and what was at stake.

VB: So perhaps you can take the story of one young vet and bring it to people, sharing his history? What can they hear to get a sense of the noise in the planes or the bootcamp drill sargent yelling instructions? What can they touch to get a sense of the heaviness of the outfits? What can they smell to remind them of the new paint on the aircraft? How will this impact them to remember your talk?

Some of the best talks are when people can bring something home with them, or participate. In what way are you going to have people participate in your speaking engagements?

Additional thoughts~
How far will you travel?
How long is your talk?
What are your agenda topics?
How many items will your bring?
Will you have your own AV equipment?
Do you have a checklist of everything you are bringing so that something doesn't get left behind?

Hope this helps ~

Vintage Betty

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy