Black Dahlia opening scene

Discussion in 'The Moving Picture' started by Naama, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Naama

Naama Practically Family

I just saw The Black Dahlia yesterday, and I was quite clueless as with what was going on in the opening scene. A lot of sailors fighting with the police..... Was there some historic event? Did that really happen? And what was it all about? (maybe something americans know?)

Naama

2. Inky

Inky One Too Many

Honestly I've never seen that movie, but I'll take a stab that it may have been the infamous "Zoot Suit Riots" in Los Angeles during 1943.

3. flat-top

flat-top My Mail is Forwarded Here

That's exactly what it was.

4. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson One of the Regulars

Yes, it was the Zoot Suit Riots. I suggest you read the book by James Ellroy. It makes a lot more sense than the movie.

5. BegintheBeguine

BegintheBeguine My Mail is Forwarded Here

I don't think I was aware of the riots until I read the James Ellroy book, which I recommend incidentally, and that's all I know about them so I clicked on the thoughtfully provided Wikipedia link.
    After scrolling to the bottom of the page, you know I had to click on Clothing Controversies!

6. Inky

Inky One Too Many

I love to read about this particular time in Los Angeles history, and have a fondness for the Zoot Suit look, so here is another very good article about the very controversial suits.

Zoot Suits were controversial just by virtue of who wore them and the public's perception of that group of people, and then again because of war time rationing.

I've nearly convinced my husband he needs one ;) He's tall but needs to be a bit more slender to get away with the look. But he'd look mighty dapper in a good Zoot Suit.

7. Edward

Edward Bartender

I convinced myself a while back that I "need" a zoot suit..... now all I have to do is convince myself I'd have somewhere to actually wear it.... Not exactly one for the office..... ;)

8. Naama

Naama Practically Family

Ah! Thanks for the links! Pretty interisten!

Naama

9. jake_fink

jake_fink Call Me a Cab

The only part of the movie that did - almost - make any sense. Now if only someone could make heads or tails of the bit about the building, it's ownership and the incineration of Aaron Eckhart. :eusa_doh:

10. BellyTank

BellyTank I'll Lock Up

That film was so bad, I had to turn it off.

B
    T

11. Doh!

Doh! One Too Many

Book = thumbs up.

Movie = thumbs way, way down.

12. resortes805

resortes805 Call Me a Cab

Black Dahlia really needed to be filmed as a prequel to LA Confidential; since the same characters exist in Ellroy's universe.