Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black Four-In-Hand and Brown Shoes?

Quetzal

One of the Regulars
A while back, I purchased three black skinny ties from the 1950s and the 1960s at Goodwill, and a very 1940s black tie with thin, horizontal stripes. However, I am unsure if they would look right with brown shoes (I always wear a dark-colored suit with a white shirt and brown shoes, which was apparently typical in the Golden Era). I think that the combination would look fine, but what do ye fellow Loungers say? Also, did men wear brown shoes with black ties in that era as well?

-Quetzal

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I wear black and navy ties with brown shoes, although I am uncertain as to how the customs were during the Golden Era, particularly in the United States. Decades ago in Britain, there was apparently the notion that one shouldn't wear brown in a city. I believe that this custom is outdated by now, and that one should be able to wear whatever color of suit or coat preferred, yet that rule also doesn't work for the reason that most clothes worn around are casual wear by this point. You are certainly interested in the historic perspective however, and perhaps following it. I am interested in what others think of this subject too.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
black and brown is one of those pairings that is always controversial. most people instinctively say 'no' but i think (like blue and green) it can work, if done well.

A black tie worn with brown shoes would be a no for me.

what about your recently found quote (about Wide Boys in film and fiction) which mentioned brown shoes “with bits of black patent leather let into them.”

if black and brown already exist in a shoe or garment would that break the either/or logic for the rest of the outfit ?

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
what about your recently found quote (about Wide Boys in film and fiction) which mentioned brown shoes “with bits of black patent leather let into them.”

if black and brown already exist in a shoe or garment would that break the either/or logic for the rest of the outfit ?

Good point!! My reference was really a personal choice - that I wouldn't wear a black tie with brown shoes. There again, I think i only wear a black tie for funerals, so brown shoes really wouldn't be appropriate.
I think that the mix would, as you say, have to done very well to work. It may also depend on the shade of brown and the texture of the leather/cloth.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well the tie is only one small part of the outfit. Unlike the belt I wouldn't match it to my shoes but to something else OR use it as a contrast.
For example match it to dark pinstripes or a black hat ribbon. But not to an all black suit.

Quetzal

One of the Regulars
Well the tie is only one small part of the outfit. Unlike the belt I wouldn't match it to my shoes but to something else OR use it as a contrast.
For example match it to dark pinstripes or a black hat ribbon. But not to an all black suit.

This is my thinking as well; my hat has a black band, but I always wear brown shoes, unless obviously if I'm wearing my Tuxedo or if I'm at a funeral. Since a hat is not a garment that is not the focus of the outfit (yes, I said it, kick me off of the site; hats are something like an overcoat, meant to be worn but not a "make-it or break-it" kind of deal; I'm really more of a "Tie-Guy"), I don't pay attention to the band/shoe issue. For my suits, which are all dark solids, I always wear a white shirt, hence the tie is really one of the most important components, which is why I asked about the brown/black clash.

Now, although I am interested in the historical perspective, I really just dress the way I like, which happens to consist of wearing vintage ties(obviously much more awesome and what holds me back from being a "full" AAAC member; they're not liked over there, apparently). As to the black skinny ties, perhaps I should have been clearer; they're not solid black, rather, they have small motifs, as typical of period ties. The "Brown in the Town" thing was more of an East Coast/European thing; we Americans were looked down upon for our "sloppiness", such as wearing typical brown shoes. Returning to my question, I once saw a catalog scan with a gray vested suit, a black tie, and brown boots, but that was in 1913 or so.

On a quick tangent, were solid black ties worn with suits during the Golden Era (before the skinny look), or were they only worn for uniforms? I have two Wembley "Nor-East Non-Crush" Cravats that I bought together, and am wondering about their history (they are a part of "The Goodwill Thirty"; see the Tie Thread for more info)?

-Quetzal

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy