Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black Sheep Hat Works

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Bob wasted another Sunday afternoon with Garrett and I but Garrett made sure he'll be employed for a while with plenty of new projects. Garrett also played pied-hatter and was giving away more hats to Bob and I. It's good to have Garrett around.

This is what Bob did to a straw body Garrett gave to me on our first meeting at Bob's. The weave is a bit unusual which leads me to believe this is may not be an Ecuadorian hat body but I could be wrong because I don't know where else it could have been made. I suspect Japan or China but have no proof. It had a great tag attached to the brim which I've pictured originating it from Okinawa in 1931. I call this hat the Garrett Special. The 2 1/4" ribbon is one of Bob's hand dyed colors. Crown is 4 1/2, 5, and 4 1/2 front to back. Brim 2 1/8:

And Bob's latest neat detail:

Thanks Garrett and Bob!

Last edited:

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Manfred and Roger. I just found this link to a past classified here for the hat:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...teyou-71-year-old-unfinished-hat-body-capline!

Garrett got it from Rick Blaine along with an astounding parabuntal body I can't wait to see finished. Note the comment about this body being limited to a size 7. The body was tiny but Bob stretched to fit me and I'm about a spot on 7 1/4.

Last edited:

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The NOS ribbons I purchased from vic but the buntal and lateyori bodies were from Rick Blaine. We had a great time at Bob's...and the tavern after!

Here is just one of the goodies I picked up today:

Stetson 7X refurb:

seabass

Call Me a Cab
WOW
Garrett & Mike
beautiful work by Bob on your rare hats.
Those Foil ? letters are a great touch !
Great pics !

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
OK Garrett, edited my post to reflect the facts not my failing memory ;)

I just want to say Garrett's above pixs do no justice to his 7X refurbs actual color combo. It looks totally different in natural light.

Che, the letters are pewter like, not sure if they are real or fake pewter but they are kool.

Thanks Richard.

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
'Course, all of these fancy-dressers might have you WAAAYYY too busy to make any hats for serious use. Ahem. ;)

Sorry "fancy-dressers" are wasting Bob's time and keeping him from making hats for "serious use". Commissioning hats built to a standard far beyond that available from any factory product available today and wearing them daily as part of their life style against the tide of the main stream is certainly not the serious use of a hat. My apologies that this forum of hat enthusiasts who appreciate and preserve their existence is interfering with the "serious use" of hats. Ahem. ;)

Lotsahats

One Too Many
Sorry "fancy-dressers" are wasting Bob's time and keeping him from making hats for "serious use". Commissioning hats built to a standard far beyond that available from any factory product available today and wearing them daily as part of their life style against the tide of the main stream is certainly not the serious use of a hat. My apologies that this forum of hat enthusiasts who appreciate and preserve their existence is interfering with the "serious use" of hats. Ahem. ;)

:laugh:

You go, MIKE!!

Take what you do seriously, but NEVER take yourself seriously. :peace:

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
ANYWAYS......

Some great hats from Bob.

I have a Borso that needs an Ostritch sweat I think I told him I was going to send in December...oops! I think I'll also drop him a line about the new 40's Stetson Homburg I got on ebay that needs to be resized.

Lotsahats

One Too Many
Yup, J, I just sent in a hat for a new liner, sweat, and ribbon. The ostrich and one of the paisley liners would be stellar. It's enough to know the hat is in good hands.

A

Killick

One of the Regulars
Yup, J, I just sent in a hat for a new liner, sweat, and ribbon. The ostrich and one of the paisley liners would be stellar. It's enough to know the hat is in good hands.

A[/QUOTE]

Bob does awesome work. I had him de-coboy a hat for me and add the band and lining.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    145.9 KB · Views: 280
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn