Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black Sheep Hat Works

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Picked up a couple goodies this weekend at Bob's:

A. Breiter forest green underwelt velour with a yellow/white ribbon and copper-dipped tree leaves (yes, real leaves):

Garrett

Mike, good to have you back. We need to get up there before Bob's next hike in early May.

Garrett

BSHW refurb. Was originally a 1920's Emerson Special "Bison" (not sure if that refers to a model name due to the similarity in color and texture of Buffalo or if it actually means Bison felt was used in manufacture).

Note the Bison designation and original $3.75 price tag

Sad the extent of Moth nibbling on this one

Garrett

Thanks, Steve. Wondering if you have encountered any Bison felt references in your archives?

Lotsahats

One Too Many
Bob is so many things--an artist, a conservator, a craftsman. He's so much fun to talk to, too. I'm envious of you guys who get to stop by his place!

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
I was telling Garrett how lucky we were the other day Aaron. Bob's enthusiasm and ability plus Garrett's stock of vintage hats is a fun process to watch.

Garrett

Lucky indeed! I'm always impressed with Bob's ability to execute new ideas well. This attention to detail is not often found in handmade anything today. A forward thinking artisan for sure :yo:

Lotsahats

One Too Many
Black Sheep hat works--not just for new hats!

Don't know if you guys remember, but a few months ago, I posted pix of a hat I'd gotten from a fellow lounger; while the hat was a great vintage hat, the USPS had treated it with less than the respect and love we shower on these lovely things. Here was the result:

image.jpg
image.jpg

The hat, an early sixties Dobbs 20, had looked like this:

image.jpg
image.jpg

The hat had good bones, despite its treatment at the hands of the post office; the ribbon, you can see, was getting a bit ragged, and the sweatband needed to be replaced. With all this to be done, I sent the hat off to Bob at Black Sheep, asking for a little TLC. Boy, did he deliver.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I love Bob's bow work, and while I don't usually go for feathers, I like the splash of pizazz that this one brings. And the chevron-style bow reminds me that bow ties are cool.

image.jpg

And the interior, oh, man. I love this liner and the ostrich sweatband. These are my favorite parts of this hat.

image.jpg

Can't wait for my custom job from Bob, too. Thanks, Bob--I'm over the moon with this one!

A

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner