Black Sheep Hat Works

Discussion in 'Hats' started by jlee562, Feb 15, 2011.

1. steur

steur I'll Lock Up

2. Tukwila

Tukwila Call Me a Cab

The long awaited, much anticipated BSHW custom natural arrived this afternoon. Natural beaver felt, hand-dyed 2" blue ribbon with the Dobbs/Knox twist in the bowkeep, matching wind trolley, not sure I'll keep the classy little feather, proprietary BSHW Pinnacle Edge (fka Cavanagh Edge; Bob is the only hatter I know who offers this brim treatment), 6" x 2-3/4" specs with a diamond crease, sweet sweat perforations and rear bow treatment, hat hangar and crown aeration.

The felt was pounced very thin and finer than velvety; almost velour-like to the touch. Certainly, my hats from other hatters have a different feel to the felt. I was surprised how thin it is, and how thin that felted edge is. Fit is very near perfect.

Comes in a cool looking, rustic cardboard type hat box with a red cedar block attached to the top, inside of the lid. I can't wait until it cools off enough to wear this beauty!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    UnclePete, johnnycanuck, BKM and 13 others like this.
  3. Tukwila

Tukwila Call Me a Cab

As creased, the front crown sits at 5" with a rake to the back at about 4-1/4"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  4. Garrett

Garrett My Mail is Forwarded Here

Fantastic!

deadlyhandsome and Tukwila like this.
  5. Yamahana

Yamahana One of the Regulars

Wow...wow...me likey a lot!

Tukwila likes this.
  6. drmaxtejeda

drmaxtejeda I'll Lock Up

Dang, Doug! If you ever want to sell that one, consider it sold! Qué hermosísimo sombrero. Guau.
    PS: I find the feather distracting and superfluous...

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

7. Bill Hughes

Bill Hughes One Too Many

That’s outstanding. How long was the wait?

8. deadlyhandsome

deadlyhandsome I'll Lock Up

Alright, THAT hat was worth the wait! Just a wonderful work of wearable art.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tukwila likes this.
  9. Tukwila

Tukwila Call Me a Cab

Me wait long time... and, honestly, I was frustrated about it. So right at 23 months.

But I'll also say, now that it's in hand, I'm glad i paid the deposit to get this gorgeous fedora. I have been wanting a hat from Bob ever since I ran across his website and Facebook page.

And my brain is trying to decide if there's another custom to create with Bob... although I'm trying to resist those thoughts, hahaha.

Rmccamey and deadlyhandsome like this.
  10. Bob does Top Notch & innovative work for sure. I waited 13 months for mine. I just can't bring myself to wait that long again.

11. bowlerman

bowlerman I'll Lock Up

Doug, that’s incredible. A really special hat. And this Pinnacle Edge is simply astounding. Congrats man! And great work Bob!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. steur

steur I'll Lock Up

Speechless....

Tukwila likes this.
  13. Garrett

Thought I would share an upcoming project.

Here are some recent component arrivals for the 1917 "Breakers" Mallory project.

[​IMG]

(Victorian era mother of pearl brown shoe buttons, a sweet bolt of old silk ribbon and a modern Tonak cream cloche body).

IMG-1194.jpeg IMG-1196.jpeg IMG-1197.jpeg IMG-1198.jpeg IMG-1199.jpeg IMG-1201.jpeg IMG-1202.jpeg IMG-1200.jpeg

All that's left now is the liner which will likely be this gold embroidered royal blue dupioni silk

[​IMG]

14. Tukwila

Tukwila Call Me a Cab

Geez, Garrett, this is going to be a tremendous hat... as close to vintage as humanly and spiritually possible. I can't wait to see the final result.

LOL, I'd like to put down deposits on 12 hats so they could come to me about once a month for year when my name comes up on the wait list. :cool:

deadlyhandsome likes this.
  15. steur

steur I'll Lock Up

Great idea and I'm sure it's going to be epic. The wait would probably kill me though.

deadlyhandsome likes this.
  16. belfastboy

belfastboy My Mail is Forwarded Here

I waited 13 months for mine...a stunning hat. So far have resisted the urge to get in the queue again.

Tukwila likes this.
  17. jlee562

jlee562 I'll Lock Up

So will the cloche body have less stiffener? Is that part of the reasoning?

That ribbon is drop dead gorgeous.

18. Garrett

I'm concerned about the cloche - he'll need to block it on the 52 but because the original brim break stitching is on such a low crown the stitch marks will need to be covered by the ribbon which may turn out not to be wide enough to hide them. And I think a new round of pouncing with considerable shellac will be warranted as well. Crossing my fingers on this one.