Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

user290389023

New in Town
I have a leather jacket with black snap buttons. When i sand it down it turns to a goldish, bronzish color. But i can't sand it all down because of the letters on the button, is there any "Chemical" way (Not sulfur or anything please) to get rid of all the black color so i just have a pure bronze button?

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I think that something like 000 steel wool will get rid if the colour without having enough power to attack the letters, it is a lot less agressive than sand paper.
I would make something like this out of cardboard to protect the leather and then go at it with steel wool.

mdDxeEI.jpg

zebedee

One Too Many
It might look better just left alone. Not a popular opinion, but I find that sanding stuff is never satisfactory unless it's wood. Nitromors or acetone will shift paint absolutely, but if you get any on the leather or your hands, it'll be grim. Think about doing nothing.

On a couple of my epaulets with black snaps, simply having my helmet rub against them while riding have removed the black. Same on belt loop snaps after a few rides. I think you just should wear the jacket and let it happen naturally.

user290389023

New in Town
I have actually sanded them down previously and i love the look of it. Im just looking for a way to get rid of the black in the small crevices that i cant reach...

Edward

Bartender
I have actually sanded them down previously and i love the look of it. Im just looking for a way to get rid of the black in the small crevices that i cant reach...

I'd ignore that and let it fall out on its own. Regard it as 'antiquing' for now... Which can ,of course, give better depth and look to these things anyhow...

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
usually the paint will chip / fade off with use, on my denim jacket it merely took 3 months before it shows brass metal, only leaving black area on the sunken crevices around the letters, button that is rarely touched will remain black though,

I think you can mask the surrounding area with tape, and use rubbing compound with rotary buffer or dish/ kitchen scrubber pad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112