Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blade Runner remastered

kbadr

Familiar Face
griffer said:
As for Joanna Cassidy/Zhora's death scene in the plate glass, that scene always irked me because they used a man in a crappy wig.
BladeRunner's one of my all-time favorite films, and I've never noticed this before. My main focus in that scene has always been the interesting visual of the blood running down her clear over coat. I guess I'm glad they reshot it if this is really the case.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, it's a shame a sequel never came out of it. But, then again it did spawn a 'who done it?' video game several years back. Different characters but the same theme throughout.

Cheers!

Dan

Woland

One of the Regulars
I had the pleasure of attending one of the two (only) Norwegian screenings of "Blade Runner-The Final Cut" last night.

It was great, especially the pleasure of seeing one of my favourite actors in a role which gives him ample opportunity to strut his feathers with style & flair.
I am of course talking about:

Gaff (short description).

BR_Gaff_Is_Enigmatic.jpg

I have always had an immense respect for Mr. Olmos since I saw him in do El Pachuco in the wonderfully stylized film Zoot Suit back in the early 80s.
(Have a slight feeling Mr. Scott and his art dept. have seen it to? ;) )

151962-4-1-99.MCA_D22617D.jpg

Enjoyed the new Blade Runner, but did not see any major differences beetween the two "directors cuts".
Yet; kudos to Mr. Scott for following his work of art like a man posessed.
Will certainly buy the 5-DVD collection, (with all 4 versions of the film + plenty bonus material), when it is released.

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
Sounds like he finally..

Sounds like he finally got it right???

Voice over with cliff-hanger ending??? I just wish I could see it on the big screen!!!

Maybe one of the arts theaters will have a showing down the road????

kbadr

Familiar Face
I saw this last week, and it was great. The re-shot death scene with Zorra was seamless, which says a lot since it's in slow-motion.

The narration was not there, as was expected.

There were over 100 changes made, or so I've read, but I didn't really notice anything. I just enjoyed seeing it in the theater again. They fixed the lip-synch problem when Deckard talks to the Egyptian snake merchant. I read somewhere that they actually re-filmed part of it using Harrison Ford's son as a stand-in. I'm not sure if that's actually true. I'll have to inspect it closer when I get the DVD.

They put back in some of the gore that was cut for the original American release (thumbs through the eyes, nail through the hand). I could have done without it, but having it in there didn't seem out of place.

The one thing they changed that I disliked was that they changed the line that sounded like "I want more life, Trucker!--Edited by Matt Deckard" to "I want more life, father." I'd read that the original line was delivered such that it could have been interpreted as being either one. And honestly, I know that "father" makes more sense in the context of the story, but I just always liked how Rutger Hauer spat that last word out. It was full of vitriol.

Anyway, see it if you're able. It's amazing in the theater.

Macnamara

New in Town
Wow, I feel ashamed. This re-release totally passed me by!

I liked the VO version but only owned it on VHS in the UK. I was praying that they'd release it on DVD at some point.

Now I know what my wife can get me for Christmas. ;) And I thought the Limited Edition Collector's Set was pretty cool!

catsmeow

One of the Regulars
I'd like to see that actually. I've always liked that movie. The original has a strange ending, come to think of it, both versions are weird. I think there's a premiere of it here in Australia with Rutger Hauer.

Jovan

Suspended
I've been watching everything in my collector's edition set of Blade Runner. The final cut's two biggest aesthetic changes went as follows (this can be seen in the featurette All Our Variant Futures on the fifth "Workprint" version disc):
1. The correct syncing: Harrison Ford's son, Benjamin Ford, was indeed brought in for the Abdul Ben Hassan conversation. They could not find any tracks in the archives that synced up, so they put Ben in front of a green screen, applied scar makeup (Ridley's attention to detail shows here) to his chin, and had him deliver the lines in sync with Harrison's audio track. They then carefully superimposed and colour matched his mouth onto his father's. The effect is undetectable, as if it was correct to begin with. Only people who have seen the previous versions will notice he still raises his finger as if he's still talking to him, but his head doesn't shake at the end as if he's still talking when Abdul tells him what he wants.
2. Zhora actually crashing through the store windows: Joanna Cassidy doing all the same movements with her head and facial expressions in front of the same green screen. Although they outfitted her from waist up in a replica of the costume she wore, they mostly used her head. Actually, they completely painted out the stunt actress' (not a man -- the only male stunt doubles were used for Darryl Hannah in a couple of shots) head before superimposing and colour matching Joanna's to every frame. The result was a pretty humourous looking headless Zhora crashing through the windows when they show the progress to Ms. Cassidy. Again, the effect is seamless. I looked for it frame by frame and could not see it. Another knock up job by Sony Pictures Imageworks.

There are some other subtle, undetectable changes you can look for, of course. All the practical on set spinners' cables have been removed -- ironically part of the reason they used rain so much. A few goofs with visible crew members/hands have been erased. Deckard is no longer bruised up BEFORE his scuffle with Leon. The dove at the end now flies against a more consistent backdrop. Some restored/new dialogue changes (it was never explained if new material was recorded with Rutger Hauer) with Batty include the aforementioned change to "father" from "****er," but he also now says, "Sorry Sebastian. Come... come!" instead of just silently following him like Frankenstein's monster after Tyrell's murder. The more violent bits are nothing that new, as they were in the International/VHS/Laserdisc versions and the rare Workprint. I don't particularly mind any of these changes, they're just different from what I'm used to.

The archival versions are a treat to see. The U.S. Theatrical Cut is a definite indicater of why the movie didn't do as well at its initial release. The voiceover really killed my emotional ride, especially at the end when Batty dies. The happy ending is really tacked on and also a killjoy. The International Cut is the same, but with the more violent bits still intact. (It seems rather odd they cut that out to begin with, given that the U.S. version got an R rating anyways and there were certainly worse things on film at that point in movie history.) The Director's Cut is the same film as from the 1992 VHS and 1998 DVD, complete with no narration, the unicorn sequence (albeit shorter than the one in the Final Cut) and no happy ending BS. The Workprint version is here, restored as best as possible (though understandably more grainy than the other versions presented). This is the version that convinced Warner to create the Director's Cut after positive reaction at the accidental, then limited screenings that followed. No narration, no unicorn, and I believe there's no happy ending. I have not watched through it all.

Overall, everything in the Final Cut looks like it would have been possible in 1982. That is my biggest compliment to Ridley. He has finally perfected the masterpiece he will be remembered for. Audio and video is excellent, even on standard DVD. I hope everyone will see this movie, as now is the best time.

-Jovan

Chas

One Too Many
"I have seen things you humans wouldn't believe....attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion...."

I adore that film. Looks like I need to buy yet another copy.

filfoster

One Too Many
Offworld

One of the few movies that never seems to get old. After investing in several blasters (including a RACprop one I sold a kidney to buy), the Abbyshot V2 trench, the blazer/suit and pair of tweed trousers from Baron Boutique, shirts from some loon in Oregon, Magnoli's great tie, the Addidas shoes, and a wallet with a real badge, Vidcard, IDs, and that funny money, the highball glasses, and Steinschneider's leather holster, I think that's about enough commitment. I'd buy that replica Johnny Walker bottle too but I'm told I must have at least one kidney to live.
Harrison Ford was brilliant casting. I read that he was not first choice but really, he is Rick Deckard.
I bought the boxed set on pre order also and found that I still like the US theatrical version with the voice over that Ford hated.

Chas

One Too Many
Son_of_Atropos said:
I wouldn't be surprised if Blade Runner was "reinvented" by Hollywood at some point. Maybe have Shia Laboef as Deckard and Bella from Twilight as Rachel. Yeah, sounds like box office gold.

I might barf.

Brooksie

One Too Many
I love the movie Blade Runner so much it is almost and obessesion. The view from my apartment reminds me very much of the city scape in the movie. Plus the climate here in Portland reminds me of the movie too - it is dark, hazy and or cloudy very much of the year here plus it is raining, drissling or pouring for several months out of the year (we had rain from last September till June -10 months to be exact this season) and it is cold (at least according to my standards it is) almost all of the time. Yes, it is eerily similar to my town.

Katzenjammer

Familiar Face
filfoster said:
One of the few movies that never seems to get old. After investing in several blasters (including a RACprop one I sold a kidney to buy), the Abbyshot V2 trench, the blazer/suit and pair of tweed trousers from Baron Boutique, shirts from some loon in Oregon, Magnoli's great tie, the Addidas shoes, and a wallet with a real badge, Vidcard, IDs, and that funny money, the highball glasses, and Steinschneider's leather holster, I think that's about enough commitment. I'd buy that replica Johnny Walker bottle too but I'm told I must have at least one kidney to live.
Harrison Ford was brilliant casting. I read that he was not first choice but really, he is Rick Deckard.
I bought the boxed set on pre order also and found that I still like the US theatrical version with the voice over that Ford hated.

I share your interest...and have picked up a lot of the same stuff. Also recently found an interior design book from the late 1970s called High-Tech that was supposedly used as reference for Deckard's apartment, but the connections are pretty tenuous.

While it's not technically a "Deckard" prop, this LED-illuminated umbrella is a nice gadget to have, and has drawn a lot of attention the few times I've used it.

d163_bladerunner_led_umbrella.jpg

Trenter

New in Town
MrBern said:
Explanation for the special FX depicting the futuristic LA skyline

http://gizmodo.com/5636569/how-to-create-future-los-angeles

Great link! I had an epic Blade Runner moment a couple of years back. On a trip to Tokyo I spent an evening in the observation deck of the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building staring at the vast cityscape while listening to the Vangelis soundtrack on my iPod. Highly recommended until Ridley decides to make a 3D-version ...

filfoster

One Too Many
Support Group

Katzenjammer said:
I share your interest...and have picked up a lot of the same stuff. Also recently found an interior design book from the late 1970s called High-Tech that was supposedly used as reference for Deckard's apartment, but the connections are pretty tenuous.

While it's not technically a "Deckard" prop, this LED-illuminated umbrella is a nice gadget to have, and has drawn a lot of attention the few times I've used it.

d163_bladerunner_led_umbrella.jpg
Katzenjammer, it's good to meet a fellow sufferer! These used to be common in ebay a while back on any 'blade runner props' search but they've now gone scarce there, so thanks for the link! Nice item!
PM or email me if you ever locate a good Deckard 1:1 head bust or mask. That would complete a really nice mannequin display. How do you display your Blade Runner stash?

filfoster

One Too Many
It's not funny if it happens

Son of Atropos wrote: I wouldn't be surprised if Blade Runner was "reinvented" by Hollywood at some point. Maybe have Shia Laboef as Deckard and Bella from Twilight as Rachel. Yeah, sounds like box office gold.

Chas said:
I might barf.

Darn it, you know how this sort of thing works. This is just the sort of hare-brained idea that could materialize in a Hollywood so starved for ideas they have resurrected Hawaii Five-O for TV.
Hold your breath, but this may be the butterfly fluttering its wings that starts a hurricane....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy