Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blazers

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I only know what you mean by "toff" because of this line from "To Sir, With Love:"

Not a word used over here in the States.
The dictionary gives the definition of: "Toff," as:
Etymology. The word "toff" is thought to come from the word "tuft", which was a gold tassel worn by titled undergraduates at the University of Oxford or the University of Cambridge. The Anglo-Saxon word "toforan" has a meaning of "superiority".
Notice it describes the undergraduate as titled, that usually means an inherited moniker like Lord. However, if like me, you are from humble stock and just a common or garden undergraduate, that's if you were lucky enough to make it to university, your definition off toff would be altogether more disparaging.
As those with an air of superiority had a certain swagger, we of the raggedy set would say that the walk looked like they were chewing a toffee between their buttocks. That's about the cleanest way that I can describe it.

The Necktie Guy

Familiar Face
Saw this one listed on Etsy.
I'd totally wear this... if I wasn't so small. :(
Jacket's approximately a 43 and I'm a 34...

Custom tailored by Fioravanti; dated July 1977. Very interesting lining and buttons!

nqwdf7i.jpg

EguP0bv.jpg

rAiRBzx.jpg

aJ5bSDk.jpg

I5VwjLs.jpg

Last edited:

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
They call this a chore blazer. No chores today!
View attachment 122645

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ha! That's very close to an outfit that I wear to work at least one day a week, probably two. I've found a couple of very nice chore coats on the J Crew Sales page recently. If you time it just right you can pick one up for considerably under $100.00. One that I paid about $60.00 for I saw the next week on Ebay selling for $150.00.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Ha, good eye, it is a Wallace and Barnes Chore Coat.
The Chore Blazer is a new one on me so I looked up Wallace & Barnes. Not cheap are they? Affordable though, just about. I liked the linen look of it: (Click on the picture.)
https://www.jcrew.com/mens_feature/chore_blazer.jsp
We were supposed to be going to a classic car meeting today, but this weather is so changeable. All ready to go and the heavens opened up. So the car went back in the garage and the blazer went back into the wardrobe. I've made the mistake in the past to just brave the weather. That mistake cost me £200 to have the car steam cleaned and re-undersealed. The front tyre looks like it's punctured, look again, that's mud.
blazer 001.JPG
Goodwood Revival 2017 008.JPG

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
The Chore Blazer is a new one on me so I looked up Wallace & Barnes. Not cheap are they? Affordable though, just about. I liked the linen look of it: (Click on the picture.)
https://www.jcrew.com/mens_feature/chore_blazer.jsp
We were supposed to be going to a classic car meeting today, but this weather is so changeable. All ready to go and the heavens opened up. So the car went back in the garage and the blazer went back into the wardrobe. I've made the mistake in the past to just brave the weather. That mistake cost me £200 to have the car steam cleaned and re-undersealed. The front tyre looks like it's punctured, look again, that's mud.
View attachment 160754
View attachment 160755

A comfortable light weight, cotton coat. They call it a “Sport Utility Blazer” now, LOL. I suppose it would hold up to a little mud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GHT

I'll Lock Up
In my wardrobe are two versions of this blazer. A single breasted more modern design, with slim lapels, and this classic double breasted version. I keep meaning to ask my missus to move the inner button, it seems to have been sewn in a wrong position, so while I'm thinking about it, I'll ask her now.
Henley Blazer & Oxblod pants 002.JPG

GHT

I'll Lock Up
How addictive summer blazers can be, I've just ordered yet another, it's called Torbay. Torbay is an area around the coastal town of Torquay, the bay around Torquay, hence Torbay:
blazer 6.jpg blazer 7.jpg blazer 8.jpg

GHT

I'll Lock Up
As soon as the sunshine is strong enough this blazer will be coming out. Formal with a tie, or open neck with a floral shirt, either, or, I love it. The rain throughout the winter months has been so miserable, but I am grateful that we don't have excessive heat. The news reports from Australia are heart breaking.
yellow blazer blue shirt 002.JPG yellow blazer 005.JPG

GHT

I'll Lock Up
shirts 166.JPG
Today I had intended to wear my vintage racing cars shirt. But once I had the baggy trousers on I was asked: "Wear a tie, for me," can't refuse that. A tie it is and I know just the blazer to go with the baggies.
Brown blazer and baggies 002.JPG

Attachments

• Brown blazer and baggies 001.JPG
    Brown blazer and baggies 001.JPG
    303.6 KB · Views: 267

GHT

I'll Lock Up
How addictive summer blazers can be, I've just ordered yet another, it's called Torbay. Torbay is an area around the coastal town of Torquay, the bay around Torquay, hence Torbay:
View attachment 174413 View attachment 174414 View attachment 174415

We are off to a wedding tomorrow. It's a secular service so I haven't got to think about what to wear in church. A couple that we know run a pub, well actually it's a 17th century coaching inn. The service is at midday, followed by their wedding breakfast. The afternoon will probably be all about the photo session, mingling with the guests and the general hub-bub of this type of gathering.

Later, with the groom being the saxophinist in a nine piece band, that plays the type of music that we so enjoy, so the formal tie that I shall wear for the preliminaries will be dispensed in favour of my new Aloha shirt.

Blue &white blazer 006.JPG blue shirt 001.JPG

PeterB

One of the Regulars
We are off to a wedding tomorrow. It's a secular service so I haven't got to think about what to wear in church. A couple that we know run a pub, well actually it's a 17th century coaching inn. The service is at midday, followed by their wedding breakfast. The afternoon will probably be all about the photo session, mingling with the guests and the general hub-bub of this type of gathering.

Later, with the groom being the saxophinist in a nine piece band, that plays the type of music that we so enjoy, so the formal tie that I shall wear for the preliminaries will be dispensed in favour of my new Aloha shirt.

View attachment 352181 View attachment 352182
Great shirt. Fantastic.colours

Edward

Bartender

View attachment 352181 View attachment 352182

Sad to see Samuel Windsor shutting down - apparently the owner is retiring and has chosen to close rather than sell the business. I do hope we see the blazers appear under another brand at some point, these boating blazers especially; I bought one of the 'Marlow' model a few years ago, but alas when I tried to buy one of each in the closing down sale found my size gone in them all.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Sad to see Samuel Windsor shutting down - apparently the owner is retiring and has chosen to close rather than sell the business. I do hope we see the blazers appear under another brand at some point, these boating blazers especially; I bought one of the 'Marlow' model a few years ago, but alas when I tried to buy one of each in the closing down sale found my size gone in them all.
Edward, you might have mentioned, in another thread that Samuel Windsor is re-opening, I can't remember. If not then you will be pleased to hear that they are. https://www.samuel-windsor.co.uk/password
In the meantime I came across another company, US based, who sell the sort of blazers that I like. Their customer base though, is for a younger market, which is why they sell slimfit. But my wife told me to order one size too big and she will alter it to fit.
blazer2.jpeg

Edward

Bartender
Edward, you might have mentioned, in another thread that Samuel Windsor is re-opening, I can't remember. If not then you will be pleased to hear that they are. https://www.samuel-windsor.co.uk/password
In the meantime I came across another company, US based, who sell the sort of blazers that I like. Their customer base though, is for a younger market, which is why they sell slimfit. But my wife told me to order one size too big and she will alter it to fit.
View attachment 389325

Oh! Now this I had not heard, that's nice to know. I've bought various bits from SW over the years. Shoes could be hit and miss sometimes (though were never as bad as it was fashionable to make out in some circles and for those who only required a certain pair of shoes for weddings and funerals, perfectly adequate) and the trouser waists were too low for me, but their coats and tweed blazers were always very nice in my experience. Their boating blazers were lovely, and missing out on them in my size in their extremely good closing down sale was a big regret. Nice to see them coming back again!

That other blazer looks really nice too. I tend to find going up one size in a slimfit usually works for most jackets. This one in the picture has a really nice button stance. The hardest thing in my experience with this sort of stripe is that almost everywhere doing them seems to default to a 'Sixties does Edwardian' approximation that looks less late teens / early 20s and more "Paul Weller circa 1982". Not a bad look by any means if that's your thing, but not what I'm going for, really, which is pretty much always a pre-1960 look. Look forward to seeing what you do with this one: I can see it working very well with both navy and white flannels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ