Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BOARDWALK EMPIRE (HBO) - Everything you wanted to bootleg about the Show!

^I have a feeling one of Gyp's own men will wind up killing him, possibly the guy whose cousin got his head bashed in.
For these men to live in such fear, for never knowing what is going to set Gyp off and to have to wait.....to know if he's "joking". It's too much. So while Nucky may never get to Gyp, I think he'll be dead by the season finale.

Hope you're right.

I've found myself saying, in response to some awful news account, that if a vicious killer inflicted himself upon someone I love that he'd better hope the authorities get to him before I do. It would be a scene worthy of Quentin Tarantino. We can all be thankful that the chances of any of us ever learning just what we're capable of under such circumstances are quite remote.

I had similar thoughts as yours about the cousin.

Last edited:

Lily Powers

Practically Family
There's no shortage of out-and-out killers in that bunch, but it's almost obscene the way the Rosetti character is drawn, as a man who takes such pleasure in the most foul, disgusting, abject cruelty. If the writers persist in having him taking out his frustrations on poor putzes if a manner similar to what they've given us to date, I very well might lose my appetite for the entire enterprise.

Funny you phrase it like that. It was shortly before the shovel hit the head that I decided to go to the kitchen and cook the broccoli. I just couldn't stand to watch another slaughter by that character. Of course, I could still hear my boyfriend's reactions: "Oh gawd! Ewwwww! Oh, unbelievable... horrible. You don't want to see this. Is dinner ready yet?"

It would be satisfying to have him turn into a simpering mass of Jello in the face of a kid ("I'm lookin' fer the man that shot my Paw") or some chubby underling who has him in a corner.
I like that!

TallCrownDave

New in Town
Great show, and I enjoyed the last episode. I even enjoy Gyp to a certain degree. However, I will pose a complaint. I see Gyp being portrayed in a very modern sociopathic way, with characteristics that are more in keeping with a 21st century creep, then a 1920s creep. I especially include the scenes with the random violence and auto erotic asphyxiation in that... I am not saying that such characters didn't exist in the 1920s, I am sure they did. However, Gyp's character strikes against my own perceptions of the era much more so then any other character and thus, in my mind makes him more worthy of a Tarantino flick then BE.

Dave

I wonder. American Horror Story is much the same way. I wonder if we're the ones projecting our 21st century views on what we think was the case?It's the same when I hear the "eff" word. It strikes me as modern, but likely it's just me.

I don't watch that one. [huh]
That word is actually fairly old and came to use though some Germanic language that jumped the language barrier and has been pronounced differently ever since. It has always been a taboo word and so no one chronicled the development. Suffice it to say that the earilest refernce we have is from The Oxford English Dictionary 1503. Then again there is a cite in the 1250 Dictionary of Origins that uses a parody type name that kind of fits even today: Joh le Fu@@@@. :rolleyes:

Would Italians and The Irish use it much back 90 years ago. Well, maybe but not every other word. :rolleyes:

RBH

Bartender
Here is a shot of Gyps thin ribbon.

gypuv.jpg

I don't watch that one. [huh]That word is actually fairly old and came to use though some Germanic language that jumped the language barrier and has been pronounced differently ever since. It has always been a taboo word and so no one chronicled the development. Suffice it to say that the earilest refernce we have is from The Oxford English Dictionary 1503. Then again there is a cite in the 1250 Dictionary of Origins that uses a parody type name that kind of fits even today: Joh le Fu@@@@. :rolleyes:Would Italians and The Irish use it much back 90 years ago. Well, maybe but not every other word. :rolleyes:
Yeah, I know it's been there all along, but it just seems out of place. Man, the marketing and school book folks sure played us! lol

My prediction: Nucky seeks out Robert's skills to take care of some business in Tabor Heights and NYC. That was such a depressing episode (except for Robert), they really have to pull out all the stops at this point to satisfy me. I want to see Rossetti's head on a plate.

I assume you mean Richard. But yes, I've wondered that very thing for at least a couple of episodes now. In a previous season he managed to shoot a guy sitting at a cafe table, while he -- Richard -- was shooting from a window in a building across the street.

Which kinda points to the problem a viewer encounters if he's incapable or unwilling to really suspend disbelief. Instead of having a crack sharpshooter pluck off Rosetti from a hundred yards away, we send some kid with a pistol into a hotel with a couple three or four armed guards between the would-be hit-man and his target. Oh, and while we're at it, let's kill the poor paperboy on the way out the door, just to thoroughly drive home the ain't-these-guys-a-bunch-of-bloodthirsty-bastards? point.

Last edited:

Feraud

Bartender
Great episode! My wife will never admit it but her heart is broken over the death of that handsome dog Owen Slater. Poor Margaret, she has no ability to choose a decent man. I'm wondering how she is going to sneak Owen Jr. past Nucky..

Is anyone else enjoying Stephen Root as the greedy suave Gaston Means? Stephen is a recognizable character actor and great in this role. Hope he sticks around for a while.

^I have a feeling one of Gyp's own men will wind up killing him, possibly the guy whose cousin got his head bashed in.
For these men to live in such fear, for never knowing what is going to set Gyp off and to have to wait.....to know if he's "joking". It's too much. So while Nucky may never get to Gyp, I think he'll be dead by the season finale.
Agreed. Being killed by one of his own men can only be the way for Gyp to go. It's one thing to be a murderous gangster and get away with killing the occasional innocent stranger. Once you start bumping off your own men due to supposed insults your days are numbered.

I hope to see Chalky's character and world develop and brought into the spotlight.

Doublegun

Practically Family
So who is selling Nucky out? Who told Lucky about the plan to have Owen make the hit in the bath? The list can't be that long.

Sorry to see Slater go and I'll be really disappointed if they write Katie out of the script now (not much of a roll but certainly pleasing on the eyes). IMHO the last three episodes have been among the best so far. Two episodes left before the end of the season?

Ah, I didn't care for Slater myself. He & Margie bored the tears outta me. I think he was on Downton Abbey too - just not a fan (but I love the show).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic