Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BOARDWALK EMPIRE (HBO) - Everything you wanted to bootleg about the Show!

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
In my opinion, it was an excuse for a power transfer, sort of an 'it was only business' thing, as mentioned above. The coincidence of Nucky's departure was for dramatic effect, as we see it at a distance through the car's rear window.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
On a recent episode of "Pawn Stars", a gentleman showed what he believed to be Lucky Luciano's ring:

s-PAWN-STARS-large.jpg

Kmadden

New in Town
Doesn't cut it

"Boardwalk Empire" just doesn't cut it for me.
It doesn't feel like the early 1920s.

Consider:
• A rock music theme! Really? What 20-something came up with that?
• The slang and cursing is more accurate for 2012 than 1920! The script writers have no ear for the dialogue of the 1920s.

Beyond that, I can't accept Steve Buscemi as a powerful criminal big-shot. He's more of a Barney Fife character.

If they did the series right, I would be a fan. But I find myself much more attracted to "The Sopranos" — which at least is true to its era.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
There are a number of sources that state that swearing/cursing, even the F-word, was common in the 20s, and before and certainly after. Not in polite public, but in closed circles. You'll notice that the characters of BE use such language, for the most part, in non-public settings.

Feraud

Bartender
Unless one has experience with the criminal types of the 20s and today I'd suggest we're all guessing as to what kind of language people use in their daily lives.

Thank goodness Boardwalk Empire hasn't gone overboard like Deadwood. That show felt like a bunch of 18 year olds grabbed the script and added "F" this and "F" that to every other line just to be shocking..

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The eff word was used by a certain social class, but the emm eff word was essentially unknown outside of urban African-American circles until the sixties. White gangsters of the early twenties would have been far more likely to use Italian or Yiddish obscenities as part of their everyday talk.

Last edited:

RichardH

One of the Regulars
The eff word was used by a certain social class, but the emm eff word was essentially unknown outside of urban African-American circles until the sixties. White gangsters of the early twenties would have been far more likely to use Italian or Yiddish obscenities as part of their everyday talk.
"Emm Eff" as in mother-effer you mean? I wouldn't know as I didn't exist back in those days (did you grow up in the 60s? ) . I've heard some ww2 veterans and people from that era use the f-word several times, but I've never really heard that other variant from people of that generation (regardless of skincolor/culture)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot