Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boater faction!

Beautiful old Sol that I found (and left) online.

1C709719-9135-415C-BDAB-F95AFE68596B.jpeg
12B6D686-D629-4532-8E53-2575EEB9D75E.jpeg
B9A8E088-CE76-4BBD-A9DE-1C526AD0966C.jpeg
326CD270-6957-4F8C-8EF6-FCC8ED1557A0.jpeg

Here is a recent thrift/antique store save.......my wife even said I could not leave behind....! :-O
It will end up in the trade pile waiting for some love..............not a familiar company.

Nothing too special, just really, really clean and nice.....LAST picture tells what you want to know! ;-)
1655165136591.png
1655165154551.png
1655165228632.png
1655165275163.png

I WILL say I do not make a habit of buying hats that do not fit me....but it happens (especially if it is in a box I want!) but this hat whispered "take me home, PLEASE".......

Last edited:

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Here is a recent thrift/antique store save.......my wife even said I could not leave behind....! :-O
It will end up in the trade pile waiting for some love..............not a familiar company.

Nothing too special, just really, really clean and nice.....LAST picture tells what you want to know! ;-)
View attachment 432885 View attachment 432886 View attachment 432887
View attachment 432888

I WILL say I do not make a habit of buying hats that do not fit me....but it happens (especially if it is in a box I want!) but this hat whispered "take me home, PLEASE".......
It would have been criminal to walk away from that one, Mark. Nice find and well bought :)

Just wanted to say THANKS for all these ads. This is "original soruce" history at its best. Note, for isntance, that 'boaters' are generally referred to just as 'straw hats' or, if the type is specified, 'sialors'. V. interesting.
You MAY want to look around just a little more.....those were ads for "Straw Hat Day", advertising the availability of straw hats for sale, and not really advertising any particular straw model (or company), and in fact among all of them, only one "boater" was even illustrated.

Boaters as a style or type, have been variously referred to as "Boaters", "Skimmers", "Yacht Style", and "Sailors" for quite some time going back to the 19th century, and often is a regional or national designation (Like Derby and Bowler)............now model names companies used is something entirely different.....and dare I say without limit.

If you went into a Men's store "back in the day" or even a good hat store now and said "I want a Boater hat" they would instantly take you to the straw flat tops we all know.......................Up until recently when covid clipped them, a long standing men's shop in Springfield carried them (and other straws) and referred to them as "Boaters" while the "other straws" were all "Panama's".

;)

G_awain

New in Town
Dear all,

I am mostly a lurker here and have not posted much since I subscribed many years ago.
Please forgive me if this message does not belong to this thread.

I came across this vintage picture dating back to the 1890's and showing Ernest Chausson, Claude Debussy, Raymond Bonheur (the three of them composers) and Jeanne Chausson (Ernest Chausson's spouse).
Ernest Chausson is the one on the left, wearing the wonderful boater (hence my post in this thread). I'm quite curious about the straw hats worn by Claude Debussy and Raymond Bonheur. They seem quite unusual. Would anyone know more about these kinds of hats ?

768227.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ