Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boater faction!

Alon

One of the Regulars
I wonder how the popularity of this hat compares with that of fedoras and caps. Show us your boaters!

I read that vintage hats tend to shrink over time, so that what was once a 7 1/2 may today be too small for a 7 1/2 head. Should I worry about vintage boaters, too, or does the straw not shrink?

(And yes, I'm already planning my summer wardrobe)

Sassman

New in Town
I've got two 7 1/2" Italian straw, boaters from the 90's and though they aren't as light colored as they used to be, they still fit just fine. No shrinkage.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
I wear a boater regularly in summer with flannels and a blazer.

I get lots of derogatory comments, which I always ignore.

I've had it for years and I can't imagine it shrinking.

Alan

animator

One of the Regulars
I love boaters! Unfortunately I look terrrible in them. I tried one on at a hat store a few months ago. I was quite excited and the fit was great, but the mirror reflection... OUCH!

I almost bought it just to have one, but my wife wouldn't approve.

If you can pull off wearing one I envy you!

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Hint

Wear it low in the front. It's a sunshine, shade-giving hat, not meant to be pushed back on your bean.

If you wear it right you have the rakish air of a gondolier. If not, you look like a butcher (nothing against butchers, mind you).

They don't shrink, BTW. I have one I bought 25 years ago at Brooks Bros. ($55 then, more like $125 today.) I was then a 7 1/2, I'm now a 7 5/8, but it still fits.

Mike1973

A-List Customer
Found this yesterday...

Found this gem yesterday in the local Oxfam...

thefalcon011.jpg

I was just passing, as you do, and it caught my eye... looked inside as saw that it was my size...

thefalcon002.jpg

So tried it on...

thefalcon2002.jpg

Then thought "What the hell am I going to do with a boater? I'm never going to wear it?" so walked away...

thefalcon2006.jpg

Lasted all of ten minutes before I caved in and went back... :eusa_doh: Boaters need love too! :eusa_clap

thefalcon012.jpg

thefalcon008.jpg

The sweat band has come away, revealing an otherwise hidden stamp "HAT MANUFACTURERS SUPPLY COMPANY LTD, STOCKPORT, PATENT NO. 10005 1908" I assume the 1908 is a date?
There are also a couple of difficult to read embossed stamps in the card liner- (and impossible to photograph)

See The ELASTIC Is Tied Under Leather
Regular Size

And the other...

AS WORN BY KING GEORGE V.
CUSHION FITTING
FRACTIONAL SIZES
POSITIVE VENTILATION
PATENT NO. 10005-08
REGISTERED IN ENGLANDAND FOREIGN COUNTRIES
COMFORT HAT

It's a size 7. The liner could be re-attached as it's just the stitching that has gone. Not really visible in the photos bit there is a slight crease on the side of the brim. I'm not sure there is a way of fixing this?

Blew a weeks worth of lunch money on it, and I can't even see me wearing it, I love my flat caps too much [huh]

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
"Thoroughly Modern Millie" is a good boater movie. The costumes have that odd timewarp of the 1920s as seen throught the prism of the 1960's, but lots of great boaters. A young John Gavin in an Arrow collar and a boater--now that sets the standard....

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
That's a good one. Is it as clean, pristine and free of dings, scrapes and notches as it appears to be?

DerMann

Practically Family
I think I shall invest in a boater for the upcoming summer. I think it'll look splendid with a linen navy blazer and seersucker pants. Brighton, anyone?

Unfortunately, it'll have to be new production, as a vintage hat anywhere near 7 3/4 will be out of my price range.

Mike1973

A-List Customer
Tony, you've got that "That's another fine mess you gotten me into...:eusa_doh: " expresion down to a T!

OliverHardy3.jpg

Seriously though, the boater suits you!:eusa_clap And the 'tache looks good, mine was short lived, the Better Half didn't really approve...:(
Smart 'taches go so well with boaters...

Jake-fink, there is a slight crease along the side of the brim, but not much... laid flat the bent side is 1/4 " higher, doesn't really show when worn. I wonder if it can be bent back? But I don't want to do more damage... maybe steaming, then bending, will work? Or adding a weight to press down...

Still not convinced I could wear it with the confidence I wear my old Newsboys, or Slouch hat... If it's good enough for George V though...;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk