Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boater faction!

S. Beagles

Familiar Face
I would say if the Boater appeared in 1874 it must have caught on fast in fashion trends. (within 10 years) But thats reasonable. I believe the Fedora first appeared in 1891 as a woman's hat introduced in a theatrical play, so within 20 years it somehow converted to a man's hat and became main stream fashion. Perhaps someone with more knowledge than me on the subject could open a thread on hat history. First Fedora, Porkpie, Bowler, Homburg, etc.

Mr E Train

One Too Many
Big_e said:
Oh yeah! I need to get a boater to go with my hawaiian shirts. The crown on some of them seem to sit kinda low. Should I get one in my regular hat size or go a smaller size?
Ernest

Well, I think I have the answer for you, Ernest. I got my Olney boater in size 7 3/4 (US) today, and it turned out to be quite a bit too large.:eusa_doh: My head feels like it's swimming in it, actually, with room on the front, back and sides. I've considered getting some sizing strips, but I did try using folded tissue paper inside the sweatband and it still didn't feel tight enough. I think I'll be better off going a size smaller like others have done.

On the plus side, Tails & the Unexpected shipped the hat very quickly and had it to me in about a week. They do accept returns and exchanges, so I don't expect it'll be a problem; I just hate having to go through the return process, especially overseas.:( And also on the plus side, the hat is really nice looking and well made! Now I just need to get one that fits me.

Big_e

Practically Family
Thanks for that Mr E Train. I'm gonna chance it with a cheap one on ebay and go a notch smaller and see what happens.
Ernest

Mr E Train said:
Well, I think I have the answer for you, Ernest. I got my Olney boater in size 7 3/4 (US) today, and it turned out to be quite a bit too large.:eusa_doh: My head feels like it's swimming in it, actually, with room on the front, back and sides. I've considered getting some sizing strips, but I did try using folded tissue paper inside the sweatband and it still didn't feel tight enough. I think I'll be better off going a size smaller like others have done.

On the plus side, Tails & the Unexpected shipped the hat very quickly and had it to me in about a week. They do accept returns and exchanges, so I don't expect it'll be a problem; I just hate having to go through the return process, especially overseas.:( And also on the plus side, the hat is really nice looking and well made! Now I just need to get one that fits me.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Mr E Train said:
I got my Olney boater in size 7 3/4 (US) today, and it turned out to be quite a bit too large.

Do you usually wear a 7 3/4, or were you trying to allow for a long oval head?

And would you mind snapping a picture or two of that hat before you send it back?

Mr E Train

One Too Many
skyvue said:
Do you usually wear a 7 3/4, or were you trying to allow for a long oval head?

And would you mind snapping a picture or two of that hat before you send it back?

Both. I'm a 7 3/4 LO, but I had heard of others buying a size smaller because of the low crown, so I considered getting a 7 5/8, but stuck with 7 3/4 because of the long oval thing and my fear that it would be too small.

I'll take a couple of pics before I ship it back.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Mr E Train said:
Both. I'm a 7 3/4 LO, but I had heard of others buying a size smaller because of the low crown, so I considered getting a 7 5/8, but stuck with 7 3/4 because of the long oval thing and my fear that it would be too small.

I'm 7 5/8 extra long oval. Sounds as though I might need to go with 7 5/8 if I get an Olney boater; I had assumed I'd need a 7 3/4.

Mr E Train

One Too Many
Here ya go.

19c77c3a.jpg

52421bc4.jpg

I like the nice amber lacquered tone to the straw. You see a lot of boaters that they want $125 for online, and they just have that bleached straw look to them that, although they may be well made, makes them look too similar to those styrofoam campaign hats.

The leather sweatband is very soft, by the way. When I get the proper size I expect it to be quite comfortable.

Mr E Train

One Too Many
I just won this boater by Battersby of London on OFAS. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320507599745. The weave looks really nice even with the less than optimal photo quality, and I'm hoping the seller was reasonably accurate in their sweatband measurement.

battersby.jpg

battersby2.jpg

Anybody know anything about this maker? I was only able to find a few references on FL and on the web in general, but it seems they were a well regarded manufacturer. I did come across a few newspaper ads in the Google news archives, including this 1940 nugget from the Glasgow Herald:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...AAIBAJ&pg=4593,5110710&dq=battersby+hat&hl=en

Um...interesting color selection on the Falcon. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Jeez, this is supposed to be 1940, not 1840! WTH?! shakeshead

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Olneys seem to run large. As someone mentioned, it may, too, be that with the lower crown, they need to ride higher on the head. A cousin sent me a 7-5/8 - they were in England and saw them and thought it was just what I needed. It's like Etrain's only with an all black ribbon. I'd looked forward to it arriving for weeks. When it got here, I popped it on and it was loose enough it was like the head on a bobblehead. I guess I should put it on Ebay and then order another in the right size...or see if the local hat shop carries them.

Big_e

Practically Family
I ordered this Scala Boater on ebay last weekend and am waiting for it to come in. They only had them in small, med, large and x-large. According to their size chart, the large should be right on the money. If the straw's as thick and hard as they say, I may not want it tight. If it is too large, I'll do what Daizawaguy suggested and place sizing tape on the inside of the sweatband. By the pic, the crown height looks to be slightly taller than most boaters.
Ernest

dsp_mens_clothing_011.jpg

dsp_mens_clothing_009.jpg

Pera.T

One of the Regulars
I bought this modern boater recently from Skyvue. It's a great quality hat, and a joy to wear!

boateroriginal.jpg

I don't really like the navy and red ribbon look, so after getting some 2" black ribbon from CaneRodMaker I thought I'd take a shot at making a replacement. I'm a lot happier with how it looks now...

newribbon.jpg

boatingit.jpg

boushi_mania

One of the Regulars
Nice look.

I originally thought about modifying my hatband to be swappable and making an alternative ribbon in the colors of my old college, but the hat is in such good condition for 80+ years old that I don't really want to risk harming the hat.... [huh]

Mr E Train

One Too Many
boushi_mania said:
Nice look.

I originally thought about modifying my hatband to be swappable and making an alternative ribbon in the colors of my old college, but the hat is in such good condition for 80+ years old that I don't really want to risk harming the hat.... [huh]

I agree, if it's that old and the ribbon's still in good enough shape that it doesn't have to be replaced, don't mess with it.

When I get my Battersby, I think I might get a grosgrain ribbon and bow and fit it over the leather hatband that's already there, or do you think that would show a bulge?

And does anybody have any info on Battersby of London?

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Mike in Seattle said:
When it got here, I popped it on and it was loose enough it was like the head on a bobblehead. I guess I should put it on Ebay and then order another in the right size...or see if the local hat shop carries them.

I'm a 7 5/8, Mike, but extra long oval, so in felt hats, I have to wear 7 3/4 or even 7 7/8. I wonder if your Olney might fit me.

Big_e

Practically Family
Yes! My new Scala Boater came in today. The Large size fits just perfect too! I'm just about ready for summer.
Ernest

Picture497.jpg

Mr E Train

One Too Many
Big_e said:
Yes! My new Scala Boater came in today. The Large size fits just perfect too! I'm just about ready for summer.
Ernest

Picture497.jpg
:eusa_clap

I've been anticipating this one! Looks great on you, e. Try posting a pic with it pushed forward on your forehead and level with the ground, let's see how that looks. I like either way, but there's a school that says that pushed forward and level is the "appropriate" way to wear a boater.

Mr E Train

One Too Many
jeffconnors said:
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap GOLDEN!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Totally agree. I wasn't sold on the combination with the polo shirt at first, but it took me about two seconds to get my mind right. See my comment in the What Hat Are You Wearing Today? thread also.

Don't forget to show that off in the Post New Hats Here thread too, e.

Big_e

Practically Family
Thanks for the nice comments. This is about as forward as it will tilt. My head is just about perfectly round so it sits squarely as in the picture and I can tilt it back some.[huh]
Ernest

Picture503.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot