Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boater faction!

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
A horse of a different colour

Here's a couple more interesting boaters that were recently on eBay.

Purple boater by Vadum
Vadum.jpg

Black boater by Knox
BjpusyQBWkKGrHqQH-EIEs96TqN2BLUfBzo.jpg

It's possible that the Vadum hat started out black and has faded to purple, but it's hard to tell from the photo.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
If any Lounger has a large boater they'd like to part with, keep me in mind. I'm looking for at least a 7 3/4, and perhaps even a 7 7/8 (vintage preferred, but I'd consider a modern one).

boushi_mania

One of the Regulars
Charlie Huang said:
I've heard that they are all the rage in Japan to the point that they are all sold out in Tokyo...
Not to dredge up an old comment, but...

That is correct. It's my understanding that they were such a hot commodity last year that the major maker of quality straw hats in Japan (Nishikawa Seibou, a.k.a. "Bunjirow" after its current boss) was backlogged at least a month in orders, and completely sold out of their ready-made stock.

The reason I'm bringing this back up now, is this: This past Valentine's Day—inspired by my future father-in-law mentioning the wedding reception in early September, which is still ungodly hot in Osaka—my fiancée and I paid a visit to Override, which already had a few boaters in stock. The 58cm fit my head almost perfectly, and while I didn't buy it then and there, the shopkeeper warned me to get mine early if I wanted one at all. As a consequence, it may end up being my birthday present this March. Straws are OK after the vernal equinox, right? lol

No pics, as I was too busy playing around with the hat to think about such, but they're available in both black- and multicolored-ribbon variants (The manufacturer's pages are blocked to non-Japan IPs, so look here and here for pictures). It's my understanding that Fuji Hats make their own model, but I have no idea how they compare. (The Bunjirow one looks taller, but Fuji has no web presence to speak of, and I have never encountered one of their straws in the wild, so I don't know where to find that bit out.)

The stats from the Bunjirow website give crown height as 3 1/2", with a 2–2 3/8" brim. The black ribbon is 2" wide, while the multicolored ones are 1.4". The shape is stated to be wider than Western boaters, but still quite oval: for reference, a 58 is given as 17.3 x 20.3 cm (6.8" x 8"), though other sizes seem to vary slightly. The premade hats are available in every even size from 56 to 62 (7 to 7 3/4 US), but can be special-ordered in half-sizes (!) within that range.

From the one I handled, I have no idea if the sweatband is real leather, but it was reasonably soft, and the tipsticker looked nice. Before I actually encountered a boater up close, I never really grasped just how easy it really would be to punch through the crown (as the stories go about Felt Hat Day); I guess I'd better find a hatbox if I get one.

I'll take some pictures if and when I end up with one, in the interest of showing off one more modern option.

jeffconnors

A-List Customer
boushi_mania said:
Not to dredge up an old comment, but...

That is correct. It's my understanding that they were such a hot commodity last year that the major maker of quality straw hats in Japan (Nishikawa Seibou, a.k.a. "Bunjirow" after its current boss) was backlogged at least a month in orders, and completely sold out of their ready-made stock.

The reason I'm bringing this back up now, is this: This past Valentine's Day—inspired by my future father-in-law mentioning the wedding reception in early September, which is still ungodly hot in Osaka—my fiancée and I paid a visit to Override, which already had a few boaters in stock. The 58cm fit my head almost perfectly, and while I didn't buy it then and there, the shopkeeper warned me to get mine early if I wanted one at all. As a consequence, it may end up being my birthday present this March. Straws are OK after the vernal equinox, right? lol

No pics, as I was too busy playing around with the hat to think about such, but they're available in both black- and multicolored-ribbon variants (The manufacturer's pages are blocked to non-Japan IPs, so look here and here for pictures). It's my understanding that Fuji Hats make their own model, but I have no idea how they compare. (The Bunjirow one looks taller, but Fuji has no web presence to speak of, and I have never encountered one of their straws in the wild, so I don't know where to find that bit out.)

The stats from the Bunjirow website give crown height as 3 1/2", with a 2–2 3/8" brim. The black ribbon is 2" wide, while the multicolored ones are 1.4". The shape is stated to be wider than Western boaters, but still quite oval: for reference, a 58 is given as 17.3 x 20.3 cm (6.8" x 8"), though other sizes seem to vary slightly. The premade hats are available in every even size from 56 to 62 (7 to 7 3/4 US), but can be special-ordered in half-sizes (!) within that range.

From the one I handled, I have no idea if the sweatband is real leather, but it was reasonably soft, and the tipsticker looked nice. Before I actually encountered a boater up close, I never really grasped just how easy it really would be to punch through the crown (as the stories go about Felt Hat Day); I guess I'd better find a hatbox if I get one.

I'll take some pictures if and when I end up with one, in the interest of showing off one more modern option.

why are there stickers on the dolls mouths?

Artie

Suspended
This is one I just got on ebay a couple of weeks ago for 9.99. It's in pretty good shape, I thought I was going to have to replace the sweat but I carefully turned it inside out and slathered both sides with mink oil let it sit for a few days and after I wiped it off it's now serviceable. I wouldn't even guess how old it is, it's got a 3 1/2" crown and a 2" brim. The sweat looks black in the picture but it's actually dark brown.
strawhat002.jpg

strawhat001.jpg

Kangfish

Familiar Face
Empire State Boater

I was just looking around 'cause I don't know anything about boaters nor Empire State Hats. Anyway I just scored one for a buck at a thrift store. Sweat is very brittle looking and stiff but solidly sewn. Maybe the mink oil trick will work on it or maybe Lexol 'cause it's all intact. The straw is in fine shape though. Over all a good score for one dollar I think.

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
Kangfish said:
I was just looking around 'cause I don't know anything about boaters nor Empire State Hats. Anyway I just scored one for a buck at a thrift store. Sweat is very brittle looking and stiff but solidly sewn. Maybe the mink oil trick will work on it or maybe Lexol 'cause it's all intact. The straw is in fine shape though. Over all a good score for one dollar I think.

Kangfish, You might also try Pecard Antique Leather Dresssing. I'm told it works wonders on old leather.

Great score, BTW. Does it look like Artie's? Show us some pics.

HosManHatter

One of the Regulars
I never would have believed that boaters could look classy and cool being worn today.It`s a very distinctive look and it may take "them"(non hat-wearing public)some getting used to at first.

Informative thread.Thanks.

HMH

boushi_mania

One of the Regulars
New Old Boater

I won a Bennetts London straw boater from that worldwide garage sale last week. It came today.

Overall view. Crown height is 3 1/2", and brim is 2 1/8" wide:
IMG_3694.jpg

Top of the crown. The weave is beautifully done:
IMG_3692.jpg

There's a small flaw / bit of damage on the edge of the crown at the left-front, but it's hard to notice unless you're violating my personal space:
IMG_3695.jpg

Frayed bow. I'm not sure whether it's the style or age that's done this. There was another one from the same company in a different size with the same thing, but I don't know:
IMG_3696.jpg

A look inside the crown:
IMG_3703.jpg

Close-up of maker's mark:
IMG_3700.jpg

The sweatband is taped, with a 7 1/8 (US 7 1/4) sticker applied over it. There's a small bit of damage in this area, though it's in good condition apart from that:
IMG_3699.jpg

"Bon Ton Ivy—registered in England and foreign countries". Such as...?
IMG_3701.jpg

"See The ELASTIC Is Tied under Leather To Regulate Size—Patent Bon Ton Ivy"
IMG_3702.jpg

On the head. (I really need a navy blazer.):
Photoon2010-03-16at2128.jpg

I really like this hat.

boushi_mania

One of the Regulars
Nick D said:
The frayed ribbon is correct, it is also the proper treatment to a bowler ribbon.

Great hat!
Ah, OK. That makes me feel better about it.

By the way, any idea how old this hat is? It has to be before Lincoln Bennett was absorbed by Christy's, right?
(I refuse to follow along with that company's wanton abuse of the poor apostrophe.)

Mr E Train

One Too Many
That is a really nice looking weave. Curse my giant cranium, otherwise I would probably be able to find a vintage one too.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
That's a nicely finished edge on your Boater, unlike most we usually see. :eusa_clap

The patent associated with the Bon Ton Ivy names dates to 1921. It's an improved patent on an earlier sweatband called the Bon Ton. Besides England, it was registered in the United States. I don't know where else.

I think it's safe to say your Boater dates to the '20s. The Bon Ton Ivy lasted into the '30s for a while, but I don't think it went much beyond that, at least not here in America. Boater and Derby sales - the two hats that used such sweatbands - dropped off in the '30s, so there was no longer much call for the technology.

Brad

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
I wish I had that boater, the straw is nicely plaited.

boushi_mania said:
By the way, any idea how old this hat is? It has to be before Lincoln Bennett was absorbed by Christy's, right?
(I refuse to follow along with that company's wanton abuse of the poor apostrophe.)

That would depend if the name is Christys or Christy (but then again, if it was the former, it would be Christys's...)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred