Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boater faction!

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Band of Boaters, 1919

3702496559_9425715acc_b.jpg

Art Hickman and His Orchestra, who played San Francisco's St. Francis Hotel in the 19teens and early '20s, were probably the very first Big Band - meaning a dance orchestra of ten or more members, with brass, reed, and rhythm sections.
Hickman inspired a young classical violinist to start a similar group and become a hit recording artist. His name: Paul Whiteman.
The saxophone player just to the left of Art's drum kit is Clyde Doerr, one of the most famous in the day when the sax was still somewhat of a novelty. Clyde made many solo records as well as duets with his section-mate Bert Ralton, at the far right.
The boaters weren't part of their usual outfits, just a publicity gag - perhaps for a local hat store?

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
Last Saturday was the Burgon Society Garden Party where I wore my boater with academicals. Unfortunately, the person holding the camera did not take a good pic of me...

5680_102931832062_688147062_2601813_4100661_n.jpg

5680_102931837062_688147062_2601814_626315_n.jpg

The group hood photo:

5680_102931917062_688147062_2601828_3399866_n.jpg

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
After watching 'Public Enemies' I'm rather interested in the Boater that Depp wore at the end in Chicago. It didn't appear to be a typical Boater ast it seemed a bit softer like a Panama as the brim curled softly as he hit the pavement. Also, the crown didn't seem to have that squared off effect to it like the typical variety as the edge between the sides & top were fairly rounded.
Has anyone here seen an equivilent varity to this? Unfortunately there are no pictures to be had just yet of this particular lid to be found, otherwise I'd post it here as an example, but for those who have seen this film you know what I am talking about.
It just has a more relaxed summer feel to it & maybe it's just the way Depp wears it, but it looks fantastic. If there are any images that I haven't found yet, please post it. Thanks for any help in finding an good alternative folks.

Cheers!

Dan

up196

A-List Customer
Public Enemies Boater

DanielJones said:
After watching 'Public Enemies' I'm rather interested in the Boater that Depp wore at the end in Chicago. It didn't appear to be a typical Boater ast it seemed a bit softer like a Panama as the brim curled softly as he hit the pavement. Also, the crown didn't seem to have that squared off effect to it like the typical variety as the edge between the sides & top were fairly rounded.
Has anyone here seen an equivilent varity to this?

Might this be it?

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...q=straw+boater&hl=en&rlz=1W1GGLL_en&sa=N&um=1

mikepara

Practically Family
All your Boaters look great in the pics, especially Big Man, and I'm not just saying that because he's 6'6" and somany lbs!

On the strength of this thread I'm going on the hunt for one.

I live very near to Coldstream, the abundant population of ex guardsmen would mean I'd certainly not get away with the standard Guards Ribbon that seems to come with every new one. So I'll have to make my own.

One of my favourite films features them and I'll always think of "Half a sixpence" when I see one.

Now where's the link to the Boating blazer thread!

texasgirl

One Too Many
DanielJones said:
Has anyone here seen an equivilent varity to this? Unfortunately there are no pictures to be had just yet of this particular lid to be found, otherwise I'd post it here as an example, but for those who have seen this film you know what I am talking about.
It just has a more relaxed summer feel to it & maybe it's just the way Depp wears it, but it looks fantastic. If there are any images that I haven't found yet, please post it. Thanks for any help in finding an good alternative folks.

Cheers!

Dan

I know exactly what you mean. I was wondering if they didn't do some kind of "Hollywood" effect to make it stay on his head. I hadn't thought of it being a softer boater? Interesting- I thought it looked like a vintage hat, as the newer boaters all seem to be such a light color. I'll have to see if I can find a picture :)

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Just won the Pilgrim Boater that was on ebay. Unfortunately I can't seem to be able to copy the image address. So I will have to wait & take some pics when i receive it. At any rate here is a link to the finished auction.

Vintage Men's Straw Boater Hat

The crown of the liner looks to be a bit sweat stained. Hopefully it will be easy to clean. The overall condition of the hat looks excellent. All the weaving looks super sharp & the color is a medium honey. The ribbon & bow is mostly black with an alternating maroon & white striping running through the middle horizontally. Hopefully I got a decent deal.

Needless to say it is a nice looking hat & I can't wait to wear it for our local Concerts in the Park. The one night in particular the Sugar Daddy Swing Kings will be playing.

I will post some pics once I receive it some time next week. :)

Cheers!

Dan

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Pilgrim Boater

Well here is the Pilgrim that I recently won on ebay.
100_4211.jpg

It was a shade on the snug side when I got it. But, with a small application of steam from a tea kettle & a hat jack I managed to get enough stretch in it to fit just right. I will eventually have to get the sweatband replaced but that can be done this winter some time when the season doesn't call for such hats. Maybe Art would be able to accomplish this I'm sure.
I'll have to admit I though it may look a tad daffy on me before I got it but took a chance anyway. To my eternal surprise it actually works on me. Sorry about the scruff, odd hour pictures. You know how it is.
I'll try and get some better pics in a proper outdoor setting soon.

Now I'm on the hunt for a softer variety of this style, something a little more airy just for fun.

Cheers!

Dan

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
New popularity?...

Judging by the brisk sales of boater/skimmer hat on ebay & the prices that they are going for, I think the popularity of this hat is on a rise. These things are getting top price even if the seller starts out low. The bidding wars on boater/skimmers is pretty amazing actually. That's what got me thinking about their renewed popularity. I got mine in the mid $40 range but I have seen plenty of them going for $75 to $150 depending on the manufacturer & country of origin. The Italian & English made ones seem to command a premium price tag for sure.
Are there any other folks here that have recently purchased a boater/skimmer from ebay? What kind of deal did you get? And please feel free to show off your plunder.

Cheers!

Dan

Brasshat

New in Town
I finally won a slightly less than mint boater on Ebay this week. I had been bidding on others for a few weeks and all had gone up into the $150.00 range after fierce bidding wars. I believe there is a little bit of a surge in popularity, I have actually seen a few being worn on the streets lately.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Brasshat said:
I believe there is a little bit of a surge in popularity, I have actually seen a few being worn on the streets lately.

I was in Henry the Hatter's downtown Detroit location two weeks ago and the fellow working told me that they sell about a gross (that's 144) of boaters every summer, with some people buying a new boater every year, and airbrushing last year's boater a new color (sort of a less-destructive version of punching out the top of your straw hat at the end of summer). I thought it was kinda neat. Unfortunately, it also meant they were sold out of my size, so I still have no idea what I'd look like in one.

I too have seen more boaters on the streets lately, though that's an increase from none three years ago to two last year! I only saw one this year, but it's been unseasonably cool and rainy.

-Dave

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
DanielJones said:
Judging by the brisk sales of boater/skimmer hat on ebay & the prices that they are going for, I think the popularity of this hat is on a rise.

When I bought mine the shop owner said everyone wanted to try on the boaters, though he didn't say how well they actually sold.

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
DanielJones said:

Cheers!

Dan

Like you, Dan, I was intrigued by the hat that Depp was wearing in the death scene. It certainly was not a traditional rock-hard, thick-brim boater.

texasgirl said:
I know exactly what you mean. I was wondering if they didn't do some kind of "Hollywood" effect to make it stay on his head. I hadn't thought of it being a softer boater? Interesting- I thought it looked like a vintage hat, as the newer boaters all seem to be such a light color. I'll have to see if I can find a picture :)

I agree texasgirl, Depp's hat does indeed look vintage. A lot of vintage boaters are a mellow, golden brown color. I don't know if this is the result of age or if they were originally made that way.

Here's my guess (and it's only a guess, I saw Public Enemies over a month ago): I think the hat is a Milan straw. Here is a very similar one, a vintage 1930's Knox, owned by thunderw21, which he shows on the Milan Mania (thread post #6):

KnoxMilan002.jpg

The only difference is that thunderw21 is wearing his with the brim snapped, while Depp wears his without a snap.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I saw two boaters in London yesterday, one at the Kings Cross underground station (looked like a more modern one with the tapered sides), and another on a gent in a linen suit at the British Library which had a straight sided crown and wide black ribbon. I, sadly, was not wearing mine since the forecast called for much rain both days I was in London. As it was it was sunny and swealtering most of the time, I wish I had worn it and my linen. Ah well.

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
Nick D said:
I saw two boaters in London yesterday, one at the Kings Cross underground station (looked like a more modern one with the tapered sides), and another on a gent in a linen suit at the British Library which had a straight sided crown and wide black ribbon. I, sadly, was not wearing mine since the forecast called for much rain both days I was in London. As it was it was sunny and swealtering most of the time, I wish I had worn it and my linen. Ah well.

I was planning to wear my boater at the summer school last week but the suitcase was packed to full so I decided not to bring it with me...

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
Dillinger's boater

Here is a photo of Dillinger's boater and other personal effects found on his body after the shooting at the Biograph Theatre.

The-Hat.jpg

A classic boater, except perhaps for the tall crown.

DanielJones said:
It didn't appear to be a typical Boater ast it seemed a bit softer like a Panama as the brim curled softly as he hit the pavement.

Note the cracked brim. Did this happen when Dillinger hit the pavement as Dan describes in the movie? I am really impressed if Michael Mann went that far in getting the details right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner