Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boater faction!

carter

I'll Lock Up
Ecuadorian Supernatural sold by Marshall Field & Company

3491951471_306c05e57d.jpg
3492736570_136e8c7eef.jpg
3491922823_21e6624b48.jpg
3492738124_88d190fcc7.jpg
3492740966_c466d478d2.jpg

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
Been busy last night with the needle and thread. I made a new boater riband in the colours of the New Sheridan Club (red, black and silver) using some petersham ribbon and iron-on bondaweb.

Results:

n688147062_2315562_6365334.jpg

The bow was difficult to make because of the extra thickness from the bondaweb. I used velcro to secure it. I can change the riband easier this way instead of buying a million boaters with different ribands.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Just got a new Olney boater, this is my first boater and first straw hat. It will take a little getting used to, it sits much higher on my head than my fedoras. I may take a page out of Mr Huang's book and make swappable bands as I'd like a wide black one.

DSC09667.jpg

I'm keeping my eye out for a vintage boater still, maybe one with a slightly higher crown and slightly narrower brim.

Cheers,
Nick

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
Nick D said:
Just got a new Olney boater, this is my first boater and first straw hat. It will take a little getting used to, it sits much higher on my head than my fedoras. I may take a page out of Mr Huang's book and make swappable bands as I'd like a wide black one.

DSC09667.jpg

I'm keeping my eye out for a vintage boater still, maybe one with a slightly higher crown and slightly narrower brim.

Cheers,
Nick

You look splendid my old bean!

I found I had to buy one size smaller as the crown is low so the sweatband line sits higher than normal (thus increasing the size somewhat).

I'm also looking for a vintage one but credit crunch and all has stopped me in my tracks in regards to that endevour.

Warbaby

One Too Many
I posted a photo of my new vintage boater in the Post New Hats Here thread along with the story of how I got it, but I'm so pleased to have finally acquired a vintage boater I'm posting it here, as well. Hope no one minds the cross-posting...

R_Boater.jpg

Boodles

A-List Customer
I'd love to hear more about the riband

Charlie Huang said:
Good good!

Now, today I've got the black Petersham and have made a black riband for formal occasions:

n688147062_2393686_3466892.jpg

Mr Huang,
Sometime I'd love to see more about how you are making the "ribands" (ribbons to those of us in the American colonies) which are removable. I'd like to have a go at that myself. I really like the idea of the riband matching or picking up the color of the necktie or shirt. I first noticed the riband matching the necktie and being worm by one of the kings of cool, David Niven, in the film 'Death on the Nile." Classy beyond words.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I would also like to see more of these ribbons. The black one is really sharp, and perhaps a bit wider than the standard Olney hat band?

Before I start taking things apart on mine, is the hat band that comes with the boater affixed to the crown with stitching or adhesive? A quick look at the bow showed some adhesive holding things together behind it, but I haven't tried taking the band off yet.

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
It is glued on with glue gun glue. You need to carefully pull it off. There is much glue residue that must be carefully removed from the main body of the riband otherwise there will be bumps. You leave the glue residue on the bow as it is too difficult to remove. What I would do is pick at one end of the glue residue and the slowly peal it off in one go rather than hack at it.

Once that is done, cut the velcro and stitch the first piece onto the end of the riband and then glue the other piece onto the end of the bow (the glue residue will make it bond easier. That should be it.

The black riband is just 2", the same as the Olney Guard's band. I think the colour makes it look wider.

Boodles

A-List Customer
Good looking hat and suit

Warbaby said:
I posted a photo of my new vintage boater in the Post New Hats Here thread along with the story of how I got it, but I'm so pleased to have finally acquired a vintage boater I'm posting it here, as well. Hope no one minds the cross-posting...

R_Boater.jpg

Mr. Warbaby, your boater and suit seem made to go together.

Boodles

A-List Customer
I have a very similar boater

kabuto said:
Does anyone have one of the $140 Village Hat Shop Italian "skimmers"?

http://www.villagehatshop.com/skimmer.html

scala_skimmer_lrg.jpg

These look pretty authentic to me ... but I think my long oval head prevents me from ever getting one.

The hat I bought came from Miller Hats but it looks the same as your photo (to me). Mine is Italian made. I'm happy with it. These don't seem to be available in LO sizes but I'll have to say that the 7-1/8 which I have is more LO that I need. I don't know if that is typical. Miller will stretch these things and they do so without ruining them.

carldelo

One Too Many
That photo is also nearly identical to the one shown by Bencraft hats, a lounge sponsor. Their boater is listed as being made by Tesi.

Boodles

A-List Customer
You are correct, thanks for pointing that out

carldelo said:
That photo is also nearly identical to the one shown by Bencraft hats, a lounge sponsor. Their boater is listed as being made by Tesi.

The boater offered by Bencraft appears identical to the hat I purchased from another retailer a couple years ago. At that time I did not know of Bencraft. Now that I am informed we'll advise Mr Kabuto to shop with Bencraft! It appears to me that in addition to his invaluable support to the FL, Bencraft has a better price on the boater than does some of his competition.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Boater-Boasting Buffalo

The inside is trashy and the ribbon is very faded, but interesting weave, and the buffalo looks way too confident wearing it, for me to mess with him.

BoaterBuff.jpg

Boater.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112