Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boater faction!

DerMann

Practically Family
I seem to have joined the ranks of the Boater faction. At a 7 5/8, I didn't even bother looking for a vintage boater.

I bought the one made by Dorfman Pacific (same one sold by most online hatters including Miller Hats). Mine has a blue-red-blue grosgrain bow, which I really like (red-blue colour combinations are my favourite).

The hat is pretty much amazing. The sweat band is sewn on rather oddly and there isn't much of a liner, but I'm still very pleased with it. Only bit I don't like is that it doesn't seem tall enough. My head hits the top of it fairly easily. May just be that I've grown accustomed to toppers ;)

Will post pictures after I finish this blasted project for work.

DerMann

Practically Family
Finally have free time and a camera.

Here's the old chapeau:

boatergl7.jpg

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
A skimmer!

I just got this hat on Ebay, and having just perused the other posts on this forum, I have come to the conclusion that it's a skimmer. According to whatever page I just looked at, a boater has a three inch brim, whereas a skimmer has a two inch brim. This hat has a barely 1 3/4 inch brim. It's mighty tiny, and that gives me pause.
It's a 20's vintage Italian hat. Very nicely made. Very fine weave. It fits perfectly. But I'm not so sure this small brim is for me. Opinions?

Boater1.jpg

Boater2.jpg

Boaterinside.jpg

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wedding_Rehersal.jpg

This is my grandson and I at my son's wedding rehearsal dinner yesterday afternoon. This was the first time I really wore my new boater out in a public setting. I was pleasantly surprised on the number of very positive comments I received on the hat. It appeared to be a hit with everybody.

Of course when you are 6' 6" and 380 lbs, not to mention you are the guy that is paying for the big rehearsal dinner, no one would dare say anything negative (least they find themselves floating face down in the lake). :D

Boxerken

One of the Regulars
Dhermann that a very nice one, I love the ribbon. And Bigman you wear a boater well, I wish i could go out in a boater and feel as comfortable as i do in felt.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Boxerken said:
... And Bigman you wear a boater well, I wish i could go out in a boater and feel as comfortable as i do in felt.

Thanks. I must admit, when I first got my boater I was a little - no make that a lot - apprehensive about wearing it "in public." While I thought it looked OK on me, and the folks here on the FL gave a lot of positive comments, it is such a radical departure form a "normal" hat (but, then, any hat today really isn't that "normal" is it), that It took a bit of self-convincing to take the plunge.

Like I said in the previous post, I was really surprised how well it was received. In the end, I guess it is what YOU are used to - not what the public is used to (if that makes sense).

Boxerken

One of the Regulars
I recently found a pic online of Chicago, Michigan Av. summer of 41 and almost every man was wearing a boater. There has always been to some degree a few men wearing fedora's, but when boaters went out they fell off the map, to be honest i've never seen one in person, but i do like the look.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
dhermann1 said:
It's a 20's vintage Italian hat. Very nicely made. Very fine weave. It fits perfectly. But I'm not so sure this small brim is for me. Opinions?

That's a nice looking boater, and it looks good on you, though it may take some getting used to. If you think the boater's for you, you might want to try some of the other styles to see if you like them better.

I don't know about that being '20s, though; looks more '50s/'60s to me

Plus-Four

New in Town
Straw Boater.

I bought a skimmer in England.
It's in a good state and from the 20s.

In the inside:

Macleod Yearsley
23, Harley St, W.1

And under the mark:

29, Coventry St,
Piccadilly. W.

skimmer.jpg

Plus Four.

Hat Head

One of the Regulars
Boxerken said:
I recently found a pic online of Chicago, Michigan Av. summer of 41 and almost every man was wearing a boater. There has always been to some degree a few men wearing fedora's, but when boaters went out they fell off the map, to be honest i've never seen one in person, but i do like the look.

If you had grown up in Cincinnati, you would have seen one nearly everyday on TV on the Uncle Al Show

Pic of Uncle Al

Torpedo

One Too Many
Hello,

I just received this one, the first boater in my collection... a "Special" made by Stetson, with "Self-conforming" sweatband.

DSC_0404-1.jpg

DSC_0405.jpg

It has an embossed seal incorporating the "Self-conforming" patent date -1929, so it can not be earlier than this. The liner proper is limited to the underside of the crown; the sides are covered with a gauze-like mesh. The front part of the sweatband is perforated. It has a hatter's seal too (not pictured): Sauls, 157 Willis Ave., Mineola.

DSC_0405b.jpg

DSC_0406.jpg

DSC_0406b.jpg

DSC_0407-1.jpg

DSC_0409.jpg

DSC_0410.jpg

Would anyone hazard a more concrete date for the hat?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21