Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boater faction!

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
I have a modern Olney's one (see avatar) but having seen these, I want a vintage one! The modern Olney does not compare to these ones; it seems to be made of a line of plaited straw sewn together then press starched to rigidity whilst these are plaited as a whole.

*drools*

Torpedo

One Too Many
Charlie Huang said:
I have a modern Olney's one (see avatar) but having seen these, I want a vintage one! The modern Olney does not compare to these ones; it seems to be made of a line of plaited straw sewn together then press starched to rigidity whilst these are plaited as a whole.

*drools*

This I have read here in the Lounge too. Vintage boaters keep appearing in OFAS and in thrift stores, so you may well begin your quest. ;) It will be easier and cheaper if you wear a small size!

Out of curiosity, I entered in Goggle the hatter's address featured in the sweatband. There are several Mineolas, but only one with a Willis Avenue: Mineola, NY.

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Hatbands for Hard Straw Hats?

Greetings, fellow Boat-ers,
Once upon a time--and it was a LONG time ago (erm...I would guess....1967) I purchased my first hard straw hat: at that time, you had your choice of ribbon; they were easily changeable, as they had small fish-hook affairs at the ends....you just swapped them on and off as needed with the day's wardrobe. I still own that hat...but it's lived in Germany with my long-time pianist colleague since 1982...when we do concerts in Europe, I don't have to bring one along.

Three or four years ago, I was lucky enough to finally see a hard straw with something OTHER than a 2.5 inch brim...fool that I was, I only bought one...and it seems to no longer be available, at least this side of the Atlantic. But that's beside the point....I'd like to have a selection of bands for this one, as well. Does anyone know of a source for the proper hatbands? So far, I've had no luck finding them.

All help or suggestions gratefully received!
"Skeet"

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
I know that Shepherd & Woodward make ribands in the colours of the Oxford colleges for their boaters and Lock's seem to have a limited range (and possibly Olney's) but other than that I know not of any other.

I guess if you want a bespoke riband with your choice of colours, it will be expensive to get the weavers to weave a special one for you given that they usually have very large minimum orders... Or get some thin petersham in the colours you want and sew them side by side to make your own.

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Charlie Huang said:
I know that Shepherd & Woodward make ribands in the colours of the Oxford colleges for their boaters and Lock's seem to have a limited range (and possibly Olney's) but other than that I know not of any other.

I guess if you want a bespoke riband with your choice of colours, it will be expensive to get the weavers to weave a special one for you given that they usually have very large minimum orders... Or get some thin petersham in the colours you want and sew them side by side to make your own.

Dear Charlie,
Thanks for the suggestions. Ah! Blighty. Things are a bit more difficult, this side of the pond.
"Skeet"

Bingles

A-List Customer
I'd love to see you model this for us, GWD!

GWD said:
web.jpg

web.jpg

Ande1964

Practically Family
Barbecue Boater

While eating at Arthur Bryant's in Kansas City yesterday, I spotted another diner with an interesting look going on:

Khakis, blue button down shirt, earring, long gray ponytail, and boater. I went over and complimented him on the hat, and asked him if it was new or vintage. He said it was new, and that he bought it at Levine Hats in St. Louis.

It was so cool seeing a boater out and about. The guy looked great!

Anj

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
I put boaters...

...in the same category as bowlers -- hats that should have made the transition to modern life better than they have. Both seem more archaic and verging on costume wear, but both seem like they mesh so well with more modern clothes.

I saw a young man a few years ago in a concert in the park with tailored shorts a polo shirt and a boater with a ribbon that matched his outfit. I thought he looked smashing.

My wife dislikes my fedoras already. I showed her a boater and she just laughed.

Bingles

A-List Customer
That looks great!!! You pull off the whole look very well!!! -- Nice to see a man that takes requests also. :p

GWD said:
Okay Bingles, you asked for it.

web.jpg

web.jpg

I can't tell you how difficult it is to smile in these self portraits. :rage:

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
Oh drat! The weather says it's going to rain in Oxford tomorrow! :(

Looks like the boater will not have its outing afterall...

BTW, I think boaters look better if the brim is parallel to the ground. Same goes for any formal hat.

Pat_H

A-List Customer
Mid-fogey said:
...in the same category as bowlers -- hats that should have made the transition to modern life better than they have. Both seem more archaic and verging on costume wear, but both seem like they mesh so well with more modern clothes.

I saw a young man a few years ago in a concert in the park with tailored shorts a polo shirt and a boater with a ribbon that matched his outfit. I thought he looked smashing.

My wife dislikes my fedoras already. I showed her a boater and she just laughed.

Indeed, unlike Fedoras, which don't look completely archaic, in most uses a boater looks to most folks like you're going to a 1920s era costume party.

I think I've seen one worn in other uses exactly once. In that case, the wearer was sporting a kelly green sports coat, white trousers, and a bow tie. It was surprising, but the person wearing it was cultivating a certain eccentric appearance and was able to carry it off. I think that might be pretty tricky.

GWD

One Too Many
Charlie Huang said:
BTW, I think boaters look better if the brim is parallel to the ground. Same goes for any formal hat.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a vintage photo of Boater wearers that wear them parallel to the ground. Any hat, in my opinion, looks better if slightly askew.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Pat_H said:
... in most uses a boater looks to most folks like you're going to a 1920s era costume party. ...

Unfortunately, that's a true statement. Last summer I wore a boater "in public" on several occasions. I did not receive any negative comments, but then again I am 6'-6" and 380 lbs. Who in their right mind would make a negative comment to my face. :D However, who knows what may have been thought or said behind my back. [huh]

I wear a hat all the time. I do it to be just a little different and to stand out. I like that. I don't mind if the boater has that 1920's connotation, but I don't like the thought that I look like I'm "in costume."

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Big Man said:
Unfortunately, that's a true statement. Last summer I wore a boater "in public" on several occasions. I did not receive any negative comments....I don't mind if the boater has that 1920's connotation, but I don't like the thought that I look like I'm "in costume."

Dear BM,
I know exactly what you mean, of course; I've been wearing a hard straw hat from time to time in season since I was 16 years old (didn't have one before that!); and, yes, you do stick out more with one.

But, as was covered (very interestingly, I think) HERE:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=39885

it's really a question of how you feel about it—you can't stop people from thinking...whatever they are going to think. If you feel out-of-place in an awkward way, and it feels costumey to you...that's OK, and that's the only thing that matters. Wear it, or don't wear it, based entirely on that feeling, is my advice.

Now, having said that....if more of us wore hard straws more of the time, they probably would begin to seem...less like costume :D

"Skeet"

Bingles

A-List Customer
GWD said:
I think you'd be hard pressed to find a vintage photo of Boater wearers that wear them parallel to the ground. Any hat, in my opinion, looks better if slightly askew.

To quote Bing Crosby, "A hat's not a hat, till it's tilted."

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
GWD said:

Agreed. Hats look better tilted, to the side, back, what have you.

And as my wife says, if it's good enough for Fred Astaire...
dance6.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ