Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bobbed Hair

TheKitschGoth

A-List Customer
My hair is currently in a bob, but I'm thinking of cutting it more like Louise Brooks, with the fringe. Only thing is, I've not had a fringe for years, and I'm currently favouring a wavy look with a side parting.

How adaptable do you think a Louise Brooks bob would be? Would I still be able to do waves without it looking silly?

katiepickle

New in Town
I just got a variation of the Louise Brooks bob and I love it. Mine is very heavily layered though, and if I had the patience or know how for waves I think it would look a little silly. If you got it more straight across I don't think that you will have any problems though.
With my hair it is pretty much wash and dry, which rocks. I plan to experiment curls with it sometime this weekend.

PC290025.jpg

Rebecca D

One of the Regulars
Miss KitschGoth,
Yes, you can have bangs (fringe) and still wave your hair! When I was in high school I was very much goth and very much into the flapper thing, so I took my grandma's high school year book to the hair salon and walked out with the cutest bob ever! It was slightly shaved up the back and my mom, who is a former hair dresser, would set my hair in finger waves and spit curl the bangs. When I didn't set it I simply used a curling iron to curl the section around my face and I'd wear my bangs straight like Louise Brooks.

You can never go wrong with a classic bob, and if you end up not liking the bangs, you can do the spit curl and pin curl thing until they grow out.

Katiepickle, you are adorable!

Rebecca D

One of the Regulars
Spit curls are so easy! Just take the shorter hair around your face in small sections and create little curls that lie flat against your skin on your forehead or side of your face. You can use pomade, hairspray or anything that holds the curl in place and keeps it looking somewhat wet. I think my grandma mentioned that they even sometimes used vaseline. When I had my bob I sometimes slicked it all back and framed my whole face in little spit curls.

Some flappers created double rows of ringlets from their bangs and others just sectioned off their bangs in two and made two big curls. The options are endless!

Here's a great website for more ideas:
http://www.hairarchives.com/private/1920s.htm

JazzBaby

Practically Family
Rebecca D said:
Spit curls are so easy! Just take the shorter hair around your face in small sections and create little curls that lie flat against your skin on your forehead or side of your face. You can use pomade, hairspray or anything that holds the curl in place and keeps it looking somewhat wet. I think my grandma mentioned that they even sometimes used vaseline. When I had my bob I sometimes slicked it all back and framed my whole face in little spit curls.

Some flappers created double rows of ringlets from their bangs and others just sectioned off their bangs in two and made two big curls. The options are endless!

Here's a great website for more ideas:
http://www.hairarchives.com/private/1920s.htm

What an interesting site. Why oh why couldn't I have been there?:(

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW