Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boeing B-17F 'Flying Fortress' aficionados - HELP!

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I thought I knew everything about the Boeing B-17 but I find myself without an explanation of this little item. My assumption has always been that the lower fuselage/nose pod (pictured in these two attachments) was a "radome" of sorts. I can't seem to find any information specifically about this item and it purpose/function....and I've got a lot of books and magazine dedicated to the 'Fortress'! [That includes Bowers' 'Fortress In The Sky'; the definitive B-17 book].

2nbv8lw.jpg
and
hsw26b.jpg

Anyone with some knowledge of the 'Fort' and the story behind this pod thingy, please share your knowledge with a fellow lounger and the gang. Also, if you can point me to some reference material that details the information, I'd appreciate the edumacation!

Keep 'em Flying1
-dixon cannon

.... and YES, I know 'Nine -O- Nine' is a 'G', thank you very much!

Last edited:

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Bingo! Got it!.... RDF antenna "bullet" fairing! On pre-World War II aircraft, RDF antennas are easy to identify as the circular loops mounted above or below the fuselage. Later loop antenna designs were enclosed in an aerodynamic, teardrop-shaped fairing.

Thank to all who contributed to this edumacational exercise!

-dixon cannon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21