Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BOGARTS FEDORA

Midwest Boater

One of the Regulars
the heck with Bogies hat I want Bogies swim trunks
2hmhouc.jpg

StylinLA

Familiar Face
I'm no Bogart expert but he seemed to wear a variety of hats.

I think either Art Fawcett or Optimo would gladly talk you through different possibilities.

BTW, I saw Bogarts suit from one of his movies in a display case here in L.A.

He was fairly small in stature...didn't know about his hat size.

Big Baby Macoy

New in Town
I love Miller's Crossing but

I love Miller's Crossing but I have to agree with you. Not only where the hats an absolute mess but most of the men's suit were a disaster. Most were far to big, the shoulders were a mess and none of the seams came ever close to lining up. Also many of the the ties, shirts and especially the shoes......but, still a great moment at times
Midwest Boater said:
i was just watching millers crossing and thinking all their hats were a mess , it seems they didnt pay the kind of attention to their hats when they were more common as we do today.
Alot depends on who is wearing it too, i bet Bogie could make a ballcap look cool.

High Pockets

Practically Family
Big Baby Macoy said:
I love Miller's Crossing but I have to agree with you. Not only where the hats an absolute mess but most of the men's suit were a disaster. Most were far to big, the shoulders were a mess and none of the seams came ever close to lining up. Also many of the the ties, shirts and especially the shoes......but, still a great moment at times

Never noticed it,.....:D I suppose I'll have to watch it again,....four the sixth or seventh time.

Looking at old family photos of my grandfather's and great-grandfather's,.....they all looked a mess also, even when they got dressed up! Clothes just didn't seem to fit just right, their suit pants even looked either a tad too long or too short,......and the hats, my gosh, it looks like they wore them every danged day!;)

Midwest Boater

One of the Regulars
well said HP ill bet the garments and the way they are worn in this movie (messy as they are) are closer to real life than some of the other movies about this time than some would like to think. btw :eek:fftopic: its a really good movie.

Big Baby Macoy

New in Town
Never thought of it of it like that High Pockets

Never thought of it like that High Pockets, chance are your right. The quality of the quality of the cloth used, the expense of tailoring would have made the suits far to expensive for the average consumer. Also, chances are they only had a couple of suits at best and worn them until they pretty much fell off........
High Pockets said:
Never noticed it,.....:D I suppose I'll have to watch it again,....four the sixth or seventh time.

Looking at old family photos of my grandfather's and great-grandfather's,.....they all looked a mess also, even when they got dressed up! Clothes just didn't seem to fit just right, their suit pants even looked either a tad too long or too short,......and the hats, my gosh, it looks like they wore them every danged day!;)

Big Baby Macoy

New in Town
Your right Midwest

Your right Midwest about my comment being off topic. I am fairly new and jumped to the incorrect conclusion that the Thread was about hats and I went off on about poor fitting suits and hats from a movie instead of discussing Bogart. I will pay closer attention to the the current thread and post in the proper forum in the future...thanks for heads up!
Midwest Boater said:
well said HP ill bet the garments and the way they are worn in this movie (messy as they are) are closer to real life than some of the other movies about this time than some would like to think. btw :eek:fftopic: its a really good movie.

Fedora

Vendor
The hat Bogie wore, and the one I like the best has a Cavanagh type edge on the brim, if my eyes don't decieve me. And of course I don't think you can buy a new hat with that edge today.

If I were after a hat with the edge, I would stay on top of ebay, and then have it refurbed, if needed to get that look. It would be better if the hat came with the Bogie brim width too. Less chance for the hatter to mess it up. Those Cavanaghs are tricky little devils to change brim breaks. Gives me a headache even thinking about shortening one up.

I have found a certain number 51 block to be pretty close to the crown shape. Has the right tip and taper for a deep top crease.

Bogie's hat is my second fav hat. Very classy look.

Midwest Boater

One of the Regulars
i was just saying i thought it was a good movie also , i only put the off topic icon up cause i wanted folks to know i was going off topic , your post was fine B.B. Macoy, threads here tend to ramble some times . usually with no ill effects.
welcome to the lounge, and well met.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Fedora said:
Those Cavanaghs are tricky little devils to change brim breaks. Gives me a headache even thinking about shortening one up.

Shortening? Shortening up as in cutting down? :eek: :eek:

From the Book Of Rules:

"You must not, never ever, under no circumstances, cut down a Cavanagh Edge!"

:whip: :kick: :eusa_doh: shakeshead

Hope I got you wrong...

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Mario said:
Shortening? Shortening up as in cutting down? :eek: :eek:

From the Book Of Rules:

"You must not, never ever, under no circumstances, cut down a Cavanagh Edge!"

:whip: :kick: :eusa_doh: shakeshead

Hope I got you wrong...

You got him wrong. He's talking about the brim break, the angle where the brim meets the crown. When shortening or raising the crown height, the brim break has to move, which either widens or narrows the brim.

Steve's a Cavanagh Edge disciple - he'd never cut one off!:)

Brad

Fedora

Vendor
Thanks Brad. At least you know me well enough to know I would never ever, never ever, cut off an edge like that!!! I may be just an Indy fedora hatter, but geez! I used to make other hats. lol And I own a lot of vintage hats. I prize my Cavanaghs, like no other hats. And it is the only brim treatment that I personally like. To destroy one should be a high crime. :)

But I still would not want to change the brim break on one. I could, but no thanks!! But if you found one that had the Bogie look on ebay, but with too much brim, you would have to shorten that brim up to stay accurate to his hat. By creating a new brim break. The ribbon would cover the old one, so not a problem.

If you had to lengthen the brim, you would probably have to live with a concentric ring on the brim, as the compression of the felt at the original brim break, lightens up the color of the felt, as you know, where it occurs. At least on the darker colors. Might get away with it, on a light color though. Fedora

Mario

I'll Lock Up
No sweat...I never assumed that you meant to trim off a Cav Edge. I think no one here would be able to do that deed (dirty deeds done dirt cheap! ;)) - not even the fearsome Gene The Haberslasher! :eek: :D

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mario said:
Easy, Garrett, easy! :p Don't get so heated up, you'll burn the felt on your luxury 30's Borso with that incredibly fluffy velour finish!! :eek: :D

lol :eusa_clap

filfoster

One Too Many
Bogie hat

Doesn't the related Golden Age site have a bunch of shots of Bogie fedoras from different movies? They all look generally the same; high crown fedora, snap brim with a deep diamond bash. There are some nice rear/top shots on that site. For some reason, even the Fed IV's don't seem to provide that deep a bash and maintain the high silhouette.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy