Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boning up on Minutiae

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
(Bartenders: I took a quick look and didn't see this posted anywhere yet. If I missed it, please delete this post.)

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4158/is_20080301/ai_n24369803

Independent, The (London), Mar 1, 2008 by Michael Bywater

Hats.

"Hats are back," they keep saying. For some of us, they never went away. Look. Here. Two Stetson Stratoliners, redolent of air travel when it was glamorous. A big Herbert Johnson "Poet", *not* as worn by Indiana Jones because I got mine first.. A dove-grey velours. A Lock featherweight crushable, crushed. A couple of Akubras. Two dozen others, all telling a story. This one had a snake in, in the Outback. That one has tyre-tracks: Terry Jones did that. And *this* one: Paris, a downpour, a beautiful woman.

Forget the cheap trilbies pathetically jaunting on the tiny scabbed heads of the needle-track set, the Blake Fielder-Civils, the other berk who was humping Kate Moss. They aren't hats; like their wearers, they are cheap jokes. Addled youths, perpetually pubescent, should stick to the inane ball cap. ("Excuse me, your hat's on sideways.") Style quotient? Negative.

But those of us who wear real hats don't want style, either. We want to merge in. We just want to merge in in a world where a man wears a hat.

Hats were eloquent. See a friend across the road? Lift your hat and hold it in front of you, signifying "Hang on. Want a chat." Now you'd have to text him.

Here's a movie. Int. Elevator - Day. A man with his wife, in silence. Hat on. Doors open. Pretty woman gets in. Man raises hat. All you need to know about that marriage.

Baden-Powell knew, by looking at a chap's hat, whether he was a cad, a dullard or a welsher.

And when things got sticky ("Oh Gerald, how could you?"), you could say "Fine. I'll get my hat." Now all we can do is flounce out. We can't even sidle back -- "Forgot my hat" -- to make amends.

There's a hat cult now. On The Fedora Lounge website, fiends, boned up on minutiae of fur, ribbon, brim and welt, yearn companionably for happier times when all men knew everything about hats. Except they never did. They just wore them. It was what you did. Retro can never be authentic.

And those of us who tart around in our fedoras are pretending, too, to be men in hats, when really we're men in "Hats". We'd have been the first refuseniks when JFK showed the world you didn't need a hat to get ahead.

Coming back? I'll eat my hat.

swisslet

New in Town
Oh, I'd not seen this!

I quite like that comment about Blake whatsisface and Pete Docherty, but I'm not sure there's any need to take such a high-handed tone about their choice of headwear. I was quite surprised at the Glastonbury Festival at the end of June to see quite so many people in 'proper' hats. Well, I say proper, but really they were straw hats made up to look like trilbys or pork pie hats, but it was a world apart from what you usually see people wearing on their heads..... at least the shape is a distinct improvement on the baseball cap.

I was wearing my Akubra Fed IV, of course.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Agreed. There's quite a tone to the article, but it's pretty clear that the author is knowledgeable about hats.

The last three paragraphs tell the tale, dontcha think?

It's hard to take exception with his fundamental point. (Not that we all here "yearn companionably for happier times when all men knew everything about hats.")

Hats coming back? Not in a real big way. Certainly not back where they were in the first half of the last century. And, contrary to the writer's assumptions about us, I'm not so sure I'd want that anyway.

Good piece, though.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
He forgot to list his chart for identifying a "hat wearer" from a "hat hobbyist" Something to do with how many you own, no doubt. (two hats: your still a hat man. more than three: oh,you sorrowful dandy...)Those of you who wish to escape the scorn and derision of those in the fashion know can send me your excess hats. 7 3/4 extra long oval only,please....

ADHD librarian

One of the Regulars
Sefton said:
He forgot to list his chart for identifying a "hat wearer" from a "hat hobbyist" Something to do with how many you own, no doubt. (two hats: your still a hat man. more than three: oh,you sorrowful dandy...)Those of you who wish to escape the scorn and derision of those in the fashion know can send me your excess hats. 7 3/4 extra long oval only,please....

three is the line in the sand?
Damn I crossed that one without even trying (and without knowing anything about them other than I liked them).

I think a sensible number would be...

1 centre dent
1 c crown
1 Diamond bash
1 pork pie
1 stingy
1 grey
1 brown
1 green
1 beige
1 OR or clone
1 beater
1 or 2 custom
1 or 2 vintage
1 or 2 NOS
1 cowboy felt
1 cowboy white straw
1 bush style

umm,
yep. I think that'd do me nicely.

I'm well on my way, but don't have a full set.
Not that I need 20,
for instance, my pork pie is my green hat and it is also vintage
my cowboy is a beater
my c-crown is my grey
but my centre dent is grey too
and my diamond is a lighter grey
I don't have an OR clone yet (will get a camp draft soon I hope)
likewise no customs and no NOS (no $$ for a johnny at the moment, which is painful)...

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
ADHD librarian said:
Damn I crossed that one without even trying (and without knowing anything about them other than I liked them).

1 centre dent
1 c crown
1 Diamond bash
1 pork pie
1 stingy
1 grey
1 brown
1 green
1 beige
1 OR or clone
1 beater
1 or 2 custom
1 or 2 vintage
1 or 2 NOS
1 cowboy felt
1 cowboy white straw
1 bush style

umm,

Not that I need 20,
my cowboy is a beater
my c-crown is my grey
likewise no customs and no NOS (no $$ for a johnny at the moment, which is painful)...
LMAO.....
My Pocket Borsolino could be:
my grey
my center dent
my c crown
my diamond bash
my pork pie
my stingy and my vintage, yet I'm still unsatisfied with 40+ [huh]

Mark G

A-List Customer
ADHD librarian said:

1 centre dent
1 c crown
1 Diamond bash
1 pork pie
1 stingy
1 grey
1 brown
1 green
1 beige
1 OR or clone
1 beater
1 or 2 custom
1 or 2 vintage
1 or 2 NOS
1 cowboy felt
1 cowboy white straw
1 bush style

umm,

Not that I need 20,
my cowboy is a beater
my c-crown is my grey

1 cowboy felt... What am I going to do with the other 10?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran