Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Book 'em Danno!

Wil Tam

Practically Family
Can anyone tell me anything about Jack Lord, not the actor from Hawaii Five O --- but the hat maker or is he one and the same? Would not be much of a stretch if he had a love of hats & started a second career as a hatter, but the seller said that this is a circa 1940's, but we all embellish

This was the second of the two I got from the Bay, the other was the Schoble Idler I posted earlier. This one is the better of the two plus it was a sized 7 1/8 LO which fit me perfectly. There were no issues with the felt or leather sweatband which is supple, the only markings on it is a logo with picture of a crown and the words Jack Lord Luxury [I tried to take a picture of it with my iPhone ... no joy].

The felt is very soft & velvety, the hat itself is very light with a nicely bound 2.5" brim, it came with a thin maroon coloured ribbon with the cattlemans' treatment, there was no lining & no evidence that it ever had one. Overall I really like the hat & the only thing I changed was the ribbon, I recycled the one I removed from the Schoble Idler.

JackLord.jpg
IMG_0094.jpg
IMG_0095.jpg

ebay pic and after I washed it with ivory soap and warm water & rebashed it
IMG_0137.jpg
IMG_0138.jpg
IMG_0140.jpg

top, front & back after swapping out the ribbon
IMG_0139.jpg
IMG_0141.jpg

side views
IMG_0135.jpg
IMG_0134.jpg

On my noggin
----------------
Now playing: Garbage - Only Happy When it Rains
via FoxyTunes

Wil Tam

Practically Family
comes from my design background....

deanglen said:
Don't know about the Jack Lord hat maker, but you have magic hands, Will, and I love what you create!:eusa_clap
dean

Thanks for the compliments Dean! ... I find it has to have started out as a nice lid or it won't work ... because if it wasn't regardless of all the efforts to gussy it up it'll still look like crap.

I bought the lot of 2 for 12 bucks with shipping it was still under 20 .. basically because I wanted a couple of wide brim beaters to experiment on.

here is the auction

----------------
Now playing: Garbage - Fix Me Now
via FoxyTunes

Wil Tam

Practically Family
Hah Hah Hah

randooch said:
Will, you're half a step away from being asked to refurbish other folks' hats. You've been warned!

I take that as a great compliment ... and it would be a pleasure for me to do refurbs at a cost ;)

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Wil Tam, It's hard to believe all those pictures are the same hat. Well documented, start to finish. Beautiful Job! Isn't this a great hobby? :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Wil Tam

Practically Family
great hobby indeed

J.T.Marcus said:
Wil Tam, It's hard to believe all those pictures are the same hat. Well documented, start to finish. Beautiful Job! Isn't this a great hobby? :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Thanks! yes I agree that this is a great hobby that provides satisfaction if the end product looks nice & is wearable in public :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy