Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Books about the Looks

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
balgal said:
Hello ladies,

I have just purchased a book on how to do vintage hairstyles. It has hairstyles from the 20's thorugh the 40's. They are so dang cute!!

Those of you ladies who love to do vintage hairstyles this is a book you should definately get!!

Where I got this wonderful book was mybabyjo.com under the floral barrettes.

hairstylingbook02_lg.jpg

hairstylingbook01_lg.jpg

I have this to and like it....except the pages fell out! The spine bit came unattached and I ended up putting it in plastic pockets in a spiral binder thing.

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
RitaHayworth said:
I thought there was a thread "Books About the Looks" but I couldnt find it, so apologies if its somewhere I didnt see!

Couple of new books coming out soon!

http://www.amazon.com/Stage-Screen-Hairstyles-Practical-Photographers/dp/0823084973/ref=pd_ys_ir_all_20

http://www.amazon.com/Stage-Screen-Makeup-Practical-Photographers/dp/0823084965/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b

Mine shipped today! Cant wait to get it and start playing! It will be a while before it gets here though unfortunately :eusa_doh:

Goldfish

A-List Customer
I am looking for some books on the following topics:

1.) Makeup:
  • Face - Contouring
  • Lining Lips

2.) How manicures were made in the fifties

3.) Shoes; and how to detect great quality and fit

4.) Color combinations (other sources than catalogs maybe?) - any museum catalogs featuring New Look era clothes that you can recommend?

5.) Which vintage clothing can be bought & easily altered by a seamstress (I can't sew) so it fits correctly and stuff like that

Does anyone know books or magazines (that possibly have in-depth information, I love information overload!) on these topics they would recommend?

evelyns-niece

New in Town
vintage beauty books

I'm so excited -- I found two lovely vintage beauty books at my local peddler's mall! Anita Colby's Beauty Book (copyright 1952) and Beauty Glamour and Personality by Ern & Bud Westmore (copyright 1947). The Westmore book has lots of wonderful large photos of stars like Alice Faye, Hedy Lamar, Lana Turner, Sonja Henie, Signe Hasso, Sylvia Sydney, and more. These ladies were so lovely and immaculate. I wish I had a scanner to share with you all!

I like the Anita Colby book because she gives a step-by-step "Four week beauty and charm course."

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
evelyns-niece said:
I'm so excited -- I found two lovely vintage beauty books at my local peddler's mall! Anita Colby's Beauty Book (copyright 1952) and Beauty Glamour and Personality by Ern & Bud Westmore (copyright 1947). The Westmore book has lots of wonderful large photos of stars like Alice Faye, Hedy Lamar, Lana Turner, Sonja Henie, Signe Hasso, Sylvia Sydney, and more. These ladies were so lovely and immaculate. I wish I had a scanner to share with you all!

I like the Anita Colby book because she gives a step-by-step "Four week beauty and charm course."

:) Exactly what is involved in a "Four week beauty and charm course."

Miss Jess

Familiar Face
I just bought the 2nd edition of "Vintage Hairstyling" (well, my husband bought it for my birthday), but I've yet to receive it. I'm definitely planning on taking it to a copy shop and having it spiral bound, as someone suggested on another site.

I also have a few other books, including "How to Handle Long Hair" by Miss Ingerid - it has some lovely tips, and some super goofy hairstyles. I also have "Creative Hair Styling" by Alfred Morris, which I think is a great book. I recommend them for anyone trying to build up a collection of vintage hairstyling books, they include pincurl diagrams and everything!

Antje

One Too Many
Miss Jess said:
I just bought the 2nd edition of "Vintage Hairstyling" (well, my husband bought it for my birthday), but I've yet to receive it. I'm definitely planning on taking it to a copy shop and having it spiral bound, as someone suggested on another site.

I also have a few other books, including "How to Handle Long Hair" by Miss Ingerid - it has some lovely tips, and some super goofy hairstyles. I also have "Creative Hair Styling" by Alfred Morris, which I think is a great book. I recommend them for anyone trying to build up a collection of vintage hairstyling books, they include pincurl diagrams and everything!

I don't know but i guess you don't have to spiral bind the 2nd edition of Lauren's book,
it is better constructed and mine doesnt fall appart (yet)

m_lamb99

New in Town
So many titles

I never realized there were so many wonderful resources out there. I am going to have to get busy and order some.

Thank you so much for shareing.

LisaFreemontSt

One of the Regulars
May I just sing the praises of another great styling book? This one is from the 1950's, also published by bramcost publications, and it is called 'How to Handle Long Hair'.
http://www.amazon.com/Handle-Recrea...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1261577374&sr=8-1

The book is a MUST for long haired girls who want to sport vintage styles and I was immediately motivated to grow out my own hair when I got this book. It is so simple to read and so expertly written-the directions are easy to follow and all of the styles are achieved using ONE setting pattern. See my full video review here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUR5vUqipKE&feature=PlayList&p=B5BBFF04DBC4248B&index=19

retromama

New in Town
terrific book for hairstyles

Don't know if anyone has this or has seen it. I just got it and it looks awesome! The title is: Vintage Hairstyling by Lauren Rennells. I got the 2nd ed. and it looks to have step by steps on a lot of styles like the "pin-up" the "pompadour" and "victory rolls" It also has directions on wet setting and pincurls for newbies like me!:)

Goldfish

A-List Customer
Does the content of the 2nd Edition Vintage Hairstyling book by Lauren Rennells differ from the 1st?

Inky

One Too Many
Goldfish said:
Inky, thanks for helping, I didn't even know about your blogs! :eusa_doh:
Is there a list anywhere with the 6 styles that have been eliminated?
I found this preview of the new styles on Lauren's blog but couldn't find pics of the styles that needed to go...
http://bobbypinblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/vintage-hairstyling-retro-styles-with.html

I haven't seen one and my copy of the 1st edition is currently stored away or I would look for you.

I do think the new version is much improved and as I recall, the eliminated hair do's weren't any I would miss, if that helps :)

Puzzicato

One Too Many
LisaFreemontSt said:
May I just sing the praises of another great styling book? This one is from the 1950's, also published by bramcost publications, and it is called 'How to Handle Long Hair'.
http://www.amazon.com/Handle-Recrea...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1261577374&sr=8-1

The book is a MUST for long haired girls who want to sport vintage styles and I was immediately motivated to grow out my own hair when I got this book. It is so simple to read and so expertly written-the directions are easy to follow and all of the styles are achieved using ONE setting pattern. See my full video review here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUR5vUqipKE&feature=PlayList&p=B5BBFF04DBC4248B&index=19

I have just ordered it!

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Puzzicato said:
I have just ordered it!

... wow what a disappointment! I found that the book required a lot of assumed knowledge, and as it is pitched at hairdressers, the styles are extremely difficult to do on your own head. And I actually wouldn't want to achieve them anyway, as the "11 styles from one set" are seriously overwrought.

It's probably good for the serious vintage-ist and experienced hairstylers, but for a novice dabbler such as myself, it was a massive waste of money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda