Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bookster Three Piece Tweed

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
This was talked about in another thread but I am starting a new one for clarity.

Bookster sent us a three piece tweed for review. Thi suit wasn't tailored for me so ingnore the long sleeves and trousers. It was very bright out hense the forrowed brow doesn't reflect my feeling about the suit.;)

Here it is for your viewing pleasure:

brookster1.jpg
brookster2.jpg

brookster3.jpg
brookster5.jpg

brookster4.jpg
brookster6.jpg

brookster7.jpg

The cloth is wonderfully dense. I don't know which weight tweed this is but I have asked and will share it with you. The fabric samples haven't arrived yet. I will photograph and post them when they arrive.We are having a fairly warm day for February. Indoors I would shed the jacket in this temperature.

Although this color cloth is not for me I do think there is good potential to get what I am looking for. I am interested in buying one if a few points can be addressed. The things I would want different from this suit are:

1) Smaller, higher armholes.
2) Side vents
3) Waist coat one inch longer and possibly a bit more trim. I like them to have that wonderful balance of being fairly close fitting without showing bulges.
4) The fit of the back of the jacket has some excess fabric at the bottom of my underarms due to my slopped shoulders.
5) Standard collar
6) Standard horizontal flap pockets
7) No ticket pocket.
8) Suspender buttons.

I will keep the suit for a few days to answer any questions you guys might have before returning it.

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I too like a more fitted vest. I also would prefer a six button style. Is this vest belted? I agree with all else that you've noted. It does not look bad though and having a strong fabric is always a plus.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
I was hoping the armholes would be higher.

A nice looking suit nonetheless. The fabric looks wonderful. Like Douglas, I'd prefer a more fitting vest but seeing how this suit was not fitted for MK I would have to say it looks pretty decent.

BuddyJ

One of the Regulars
I like the look. How many of the issues MK brings up with can be corrected with alterations, and would the cost be worth it for a suit at this price point?

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Michael, I think the color looks very handsome on you. Perhaps you should accept the possibility that all of us are correct that this is a good color on you!

Nigel Fisher

New in Town
That's a wonderful suit. I really like three-pieces, and that color really works on you.

PS: Thanks for taking outdoor pictures! They show the truth of what is being photographed much better than indoor lighting.

Bugsy

One Too Many
MK said:
This was talked about in another thread but I am starting a new one for clarity.

Bookster sent us a three piece tweed for review. Thi suit wasn't tailored for me so ingnore the long sleeves and trousers. It was very bright out hense the forrowed brow doesn't reflect my feeling about the suit.;)

brookster1.jpg
brookster2.jpg

brookster3.jpg
brookster5.jpg

brookster4.jpg
brookster6.jpg

brookster7.jpg

The cloth is wonderfully dense. I don't know which weight tweed this is but I have asked and will share it with you. The fabric samples haven't arrived yet. I will photograph and post them when they arrive.We are having a fairly warm day for February. Indoors I would shed the jacket in this temperature.

Although this color cloth is not for me I do think there is good potential to get what I am looking for. I am interested in buying one if a few points can be addressed. The things I would want different from this suit are:

1) Smaller, higher armholes.
2) Side vents
3) Waist coat one inch longer and possibly a bit more trim. I like them to have that wonderful balance of being fairly close fitting without showing bulges.
4) The fit of the back of the jacket has some excess fabric at the bottom of my underarms due to my slopped shoulders.
5) Standard collar
6) Standard horizontal flap pockets
7) No ticket pocket.
8) Suspender buttons.

I will keep the suit for a few days to answer any questions you guys might have before returning it.

I like that suit. Very elegant.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Some of the things MK mentions as needing 'correction' (e.g. sloping pocket flaps, collar, ticket pocket, vent, 'suspender' buttons) are just how things are on a typical British country suit.

If someone wants something different, I respectfully suggest that he doesn't look at such a suit. There are plenty of alternatives.

The other issues (waistcoat, armholes etc.) are a matter of fit. This suit clearly comes nowhere near to fitting MK.

Just my opinion.

Alan

Edward

Bartender
MK said:

brookster1.jpg
brookster2.jpg

That definitely has the 'Harvard Professor circa 1938' look to it to me. :) Actually, it really reminds me of the suits my primary school headmaster (in his late 80s now, and still around) used to wear. Judging from the photos, it does look to be a high quality garment. It does seem to me that the armholes are the modern lower type.... assuming this is MK's size in an off the peg, I should think the jacket is overall quite a modern, boxy cut rather than the more tailored pattern of a vintage jacket. That said, I don't know much about country clothing, so I may be off there? Otherwise, the features all look very traditional. Is there a button to fasten the lapel flap to to close the jacket on a windy day on the moors? Trousers, by personal preference I'd opt for braces-buttons over belt loops, but that really is to personal taste. Waistcoat looks grand length-wise, but perchance a size too big (unless it's a belted number without the belt fastened?

Overall, nice. Bookster are a little out of my budget at present, but were I looking at spending that sort of money on a country suit, I'd definitely consider giving them a call.

As others have said, MK, it looks great on you - just need a deerstalker to complete the look.... perhaps also a broken shotgun on the crook of your arm, a labrador at your feet..... ;)

Micawber

A-List Customer
Alan Eardley said:
Some of the things MK mentions as needing 'correction' (e.g. sloping pocket flaps, collar, ticket pocket, vent, 'suspender' buttons) are just how things are on a typical British country suit.

If someone wants something different, I respectfully suggest that he doesn't look at such a suit. There are plenty of alternatives.

The other issues (waistcoat, armholes etc.) are a matter of fit. This suit clearly comes nowhere near to fitting MK.

Just my opinion.

Alan

Agreed. Fit aside it looks like a good quality modern off the peg British country suit with fairly typical features. I like traditional features like hacking & ticket pockets and throat latches and wouldn't attempt to turn this kind of garment into something else.

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
?

Alan Eardley said:

Just my opinion.

Alan

Thanks for the input, Alan. Do you see any other areas regarding fit that I haven't addressed?

Also....why would a country suit need a ticket pocket?

Thanks.

Micawber

A-List Customer
Ticket pockets were originally also somewhere for small change - especially when mounted on a horse, for tipping hunt servants, 'keepers and the like.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
A nice cloth.
I don't know if someone mentioned the jacket length but it appears too long.

MK- do you remember the Tweed 3 pce I wore to the inaugural London FL gathering..? Fairly close fitting. I think it looked OK. It had very high-rise trousers, fitted waistcoat and a sharp fitting jacket. 50's vintage, I believe.

If a suit of Tweed fits, it looks sharp.
If it doesn't fit, it is nothing short of a spectacle.

Just his opinion.

B
T

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
MK,

your issues are very similar to the problems I saw on their website, though I wouldn't like the waistcoat to be longer necessarily - it's more a matter of overall suit proportions, number of buttons and distance between them and the like. Also, the lapels could be a tad larger.

The fabric looks nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo