Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Borsalino Motorbike Helmets

Woodfluter

Practically Family
This is deeply strange. Well, the Colbacco is just plain weird-looking to me, but the Panama is actually kind of cool. I don't suppose they'll be making any that look like German WWI helmets, or Mussolini era Italian ones, which is just as well.

Edward

Bartender
Interesting concept. I like the look of the tweed. I wouldn't even think of getting onto a bike without a full face mask, though.

RPeers

One of the Regulars
Really not digging the fur ones, but the tweed and panama show some potential hopefully they will keep releasing new series till they get it right.

Stan

A-List Customer
Scary Stuff

Hi,

Not a word about their construction. Nor anything about impact parameters.

These things sacre me more than the polycarbonate shelled, styrofoam lined DOT 'brain-buckets' sold at Wally World for $39 a 'pop'!

Scary.

What makes these scarier is that it appears that these things are more about style than in keeping your skull in one piece when you plop off the motorbike onto concrete (or worse, cobblestones) at 30 MPH.

They surely do look nice though. I'd hate to think that they ignored the primary function. I didn't see anything about that with the link. Did I miss something?

Nice colors and designs. I especially like the Panama models. Plus they have this really nice, big, screenprinted Borsalino logo on them. And, they sure do look nice!

Personally, I think I'm not up for trading in my Snell rated Bell carbon fiber shells. They have little to no style and el-cheapo 'Bell' stickers and are really, really boring to look at. I know that the Bells are up to doing their primary function very, very well. And that is the most important thing.

I think I'll keep on wearing the Bells when moving and then swap it for a more traditional hat, like a Panama, once I get to where I'm going. ;)

Later!

Stan

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Yeah, ditto Mr. Stan. I agree entirely. However, I see these things as scooter helmets actually. For intown use. Can you see anyone tooling around in a Harley, or more appropriately in a Ducati, in one of these things? I can't. For scooter helmets, they are probably sufficient in comparison to other comparable headgear. Still, the absence of tech data is either disturbing or comforting, depending on the degree of Italian helmet regulation and standards...if strict and absolute, they don't really need to say much.

- Bill

ideaguy

One Too Many
I'm dyin' here...had a great ride today on my back-from-the-vet Exile- the
motorcycle that scares a lot of Harley riders-and check in at the Lounge...
Borsalino helmets??? nearly dropped my teeth on the keyboard.
I'd look so darn quaint with one of those on my noggin-you can't make this stuff up, it's too bizarre...
have a run coming up this weekend, weather permitting, and have already sent emails with copies of some of the photos attatched, now I'll have to wait and see if the usual crowd shows up in Italian bespoke leathers & a "Tweed" helmet.lol lol lol

Graemsay

Practically Family
New Max (who make the Borsalino lids) also make the Momo Design range of helmets.

These meet the ECE 22.05 standard, which I believe is mandatory for motorcycle helmets in the EU and other countries, and is stricter than the DOT tests.

Stan

A-List Customer
Hi,

Well, I feel somewhat better about these now. :)

I think there ought to be a mention about the standard compliance on the website, but perhaps they simply assume that we'll assume that. :p

Still, there's not nearly enough coverage to make me happy wearing one. I categorize them as half-shell models, and wouldn't really feel good about wearing one. However, on a moped/scooter we're really talking about 30 MPH or so speeds, and they should be fairly good protection in that application.

If I ever get off the full sized bike and onto a scooter sized one, one of those Panama models would be nice. :)

I read through the standards document and it is a step up from the DOT one, which is a good thing.

In reality, wearing one of these is a *lot* better than wearing nothing at all, or one of those 'Fritz-looks-like-a-helmet' things I see far too many of on the heads of other riders around here (you know, protesting the helmet law things).

Later!

Stan

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Stan, like I said eariler, if they don't mention standards (almost all US helmets do), it probably means there's very strict standards they are all compelled to meet and you don't have to say anything about that to be competitive.

DrSpeed, I agree, not my thing, but fun to look at anyway! What a strange world.

Just putting things in perspective, I've worn both full and open-front helmets on a MC and think it kind of depends on how fast, where, how much traffic, lots of things.

Many times I have hit speeds in excess of 52 mph on steep downhill runs on a bicycle, with 100+ psi tires less than an inch wide and no leathers, only a foam helmet in the even of a spill and lots of exposed skin. I haven't spilled often, but when I did, the worst was around 40 mph (not my fault, someone trying to draft me) and fortunately didn't land on my head. But all that makes me slightly fatalistic and inclined to risk calculation.

I think these silly toppers would be satisfactory for scooters, and I really can't see anyone else wearing them.

- Bill

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy