Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

borsalino or art fawcett

hipster

New in Town
This is my 1st post, so thanks in advance.

Looking at a Borsalino Alessandria from Bencraft or a custom from Art Fawcett. Need some advice on which one.

THe price is about a $100 difference, so price is somewhat of an issue.

I currently have a borsalino dark gray purchased about 8 years ago.

I realize that Art has a custom fitted, although my borsalino fits perfect as well.
I love the soft leather band on the borsalino, but the idea if 100% beaver is also very appealing.

The color would be in silverbelly or taupe as I would like it to go with anything.
I prefer the diamond bash with tight pinch in front with that 40's look.

I've got a number of hats, but most are crap ( good quality I have is 1 borsalino, 1 vintage dobbs, 1 biltmore that pretty decent in suede finish).

THanks again.

Advice??

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Hands down, zero doubt, no question - get an Art Fawcett. Borso's have a reputation of being hit-or-miss with quality, and finding the right model is a pain. Art will work to get you exactly what you want, and quality will never be an issue. I know that he carries colors that would be to your liking, and he does a great diamond crown. You can't go wrong.

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Not-Bogart13 said:
Hands down, zero doubt, no question - get an Art Fawcett. Borso's have a reputation of being hit-or-miss with quality, and finding the right model is a pain. Art will work to get you exactly what you want, and quality will never be an issue. I know that he carries colors that would be to your liking, and he does a great diamond crown. You can't go wrong.
If I had the money to spend on just one (Custom) hat, it would be a no brainer for sure.....what he said. :D

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
Just a little more info here to muddle the waters: When talking to Bencraft, ask Steven about the 'Fedora Lounge Discount'. He mentioned about instituting one, but I don't know if he has yet. If he has, that might make the Borso a little more attractive at this time since money IS an issue. If no discount, you can't EVER go wrong with one of Art's hats.

hipster

New in Town
Thanks for the help, I've searched more about a Fawcett hat and NO poor feed back, although there are a few that are unhappy with the borso's.

Its got to be an everyday hat, but have bitchen style for party time.

MrFusion

One of the Regulars
Having just gotten my first Art Fawcett custom hat today, I wholeheartedly agree with everyone above. Save for the custom hat from Art - you won't regret it! :)

indycop

I'll Lock Up
I do not have a Borso , only tried one on in a store. But I do have one of Art's and If I could only keep one hat that would be it. Be forewarned once you get one, it will not be the last!shakeshead :D

B R A N D X®

Familiar Face
If you buy a Borsalino (I'm wearing one as I type)....you'll still pine for a VS.

If you buy a VS......you'll desire another VS.

Just a hunch as my VS hats are still on order, but I have a feeling this is pretty accurate!:)

Mr. Fawcett's hats are unique, gorgeous and ultra-desirable. Just the kind of craftsmanship I want on my own noggin'.

animator

One of the Regulars
You mentioned the sweat band. The sweatband in my VS is fantastic. Very soft and great looking. Art would send you color felt samples. Touch the felt he uses. Your choice will be clear! All of the hat and even the packaging will be this wonderful quality.

Get the Art Fawcett... save for a bit if you have to.

Feraud

Bartender
If money is an issue you might have go with what fits in your budget. Because you have a Borsalino I would suggest one of Art's hats to broaden your collection.

I love the soft leather band on the borsalino, but the idea if 100% beaver is also very appealing.
Is the Borsalino not 100% beaver?

Marty M. said:
As a guy who not only loves, wears and sells Borsolino's, get an Art.
Marty Mathis
lol

hipster

New in Town
Well, based off this feed back, I have no choice. Its going to be a Fawcett. I just read a new thread about a new fawcett hat. That green hat is bitchen.

If I bought the borso, i might save a little money, but I'll spend more money in the long run. It'l drive me nuts then I'll get a Fawcett. I'm notorious for doing that with my hobbies (motorcycle, fly fishing, surfing ) I first buy to save money, then buy what I want.
Like someone said, "buy the best, you'll never be disappointed".

I wear a hat every day and have since I was a kid. If I go out without one, something just feels wrong.

Thanks again for the advice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo