Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bound vs. Raw Edge Brim?

Mario

I'll Lock Up
For a long time I favored bound edges almost exclusively. And while I still like them a lot I've grown very fond of raw edges as well. On the other hand I'm not such a huge fan of the Cavanagh edge, even though I really appreciate the craftsmanship that went into it. So it's bound and raw for me.

Oh - and welcome to The Lounge! :)

Last edited:
Welcome Dude.

I have only a few fedoras in raw egde, the rest are mostly Westerns in raw. Most of mine are bound, and a few welted, Cav, mode edges, whatever you want to call them. I can't say I have a major preference, I go for mostly vintage hats, so the ones I get are usually bound
edge.

Perry

frussell

One Too Many
For me, long oval head sometimes = wavy brim on a raw edged hat, less so on bound brims. Therefore, most of my fedoras are bound brim. I have a few Cavanaugh-style vintage Resistols that are very nice, but for some reason I don't like the regular under or over-welted edge at all. Feels overly chunky to me, but that's totally personal preference. Art's welted edges seem to turn out really well. My most-used cowboy hats are all raw edge, but I have a few bound edge for more formal western wear. Like Mr. Dean, most of my bound edges are thin, like an Open Road. I only have one wide-bound, from TonyB, but it sure is sharp. Frank

fmw

One Too Many
My only raw edges are on Western hats. With the exceptions of one underwelt and one overwelt, all of my fedoras are bound. That's the way I like them.

SteveAS

Practically Family
I have only vintage hats and have a mix of brim edge types. I have about an equal number of bound and Cavanagh edges, a couple under-welts, and just one raw edge. Really, I don't care that much about the edge type, but my order of preference is: bound, Cavanagh, raw, then under- or over-welted.

navarre

Vendor
I ran across a Stetson Fedora in a shop outside of Seattle the other day that had in interesting treatment. The edge was bound in thread with a sort of blanket stitch, not whipstitched like a western and not welted. Fairly standard tread matching the felt. Wish I would have had a camera.

I was wondering if any body had one so we could all get a better look it, or whether any one knows what Stetson called this? First time I've seen an edge like that.

As for the general question, I think the Cav is the best but I am a total hat nut and so I like them all. Just depends on what mood I am in.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Welcome (+1) to the Lounge! Great start.

Cool edge stitching Vic.
Back to the question at hand.

Like frussell, long head on reg. oval hat sometimes makes waves, more so if the edge is plain.
Sometimes not...can depend on how it's flanged.

In order:
Cavanagh edge (crazy for 'em)
Underwelt (if turned under part is beveled and it's stitched really carefully)
Bound Edge
Raw Edge

But they're all good!

- Bill

Last edited:

DudeInBlack

Familiar Face
Wow. This thread took off more than I expected. Great meeting everyone and looking forward to getting to know you (and your hats) better.

After much do research, I've decided I'm a Cavanagh and Raw man. :cool:

Dark Arcane

New in Town
Bound Edge or Raw?

What do you guys prefer? I've been inclined to think a bound edge brim is generally more dressy, but do you feel a raw edge fedora can have the same type of vibe? To my mind a raw edge often has a more rustic look, for lack of a better way of putting it. Do you guys agree?

Why or why not? Thanks everyone.

I also used to think a hat with a bound brim had more of a "dressy" look, but as I learned more about hats I came to realize the width of the ribbon around the crown tends to determine whether a hat has a "dressy" or "more casual" look, i.e. wider ribbons look dressier and narrow ribbons look more casual. Why that is I have no idea, but it seems to be the general consensus among hat aficionados and a viewpoint I've come to agree with.

Generally speaking I prefer a hat with a raw edge brim, but it really depends on the hat and the colors used for the felt, the ribbon, and the brim binding (if there is one).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou