Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bound vs. Raw Edge Brim?

DudeInBlack

Familiar Face
Brim Edges - Anything and Everything

Let's talk brim edges. What are the pros and cons of each style and/or what's you're own personal preference?

For Reference:
Raw Edge
(Under)Welt Edge

Bound Edge

Etc...

(P.S.: Oh, and first post, I guess. Truly a blessing to have found this place. I hope you don't mind a rookie around these parts. :) )

Last edited:

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
My favorite is the bound brim on the old Stetson old No. 1's - much tighter than '40s onward and sort of squared off along the edge.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I really like bound edges, and they seem to keep a snap in the brim. I have yet to encounter a cavanaugh edge in real life, but I would love to see how they are.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Cavanaugh is undoubtedly my favorite, my Resistol Gotham I has a Cav edge, and it just looks so cool.

Welted would be my next choice, I have a fondness for the underwelt as opposed to the overwelt.

Bound and raw are about the same in my book, I don't have a strong preference for one over the other. Though the bound edge on my Resistol OR clone gives me a nice Hollywood brim.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
I can't think of anything more appealing than a matching tone wide bound edge. I mean 3/4" inch wide, and the brim cuts off cleanly and smoothly. I love it!

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Out of the three, I prefer raw edges. It's straight to the point and not too flashy. Although nowhere near the quality of the real fedora you posted, I have a wool felt that has a welted edge, and when my vintage Stetson was a homburg, it had that curled edge as well. I find myself being most drawn to the raw edge.

Alex

Practically Family
Bound for me, fellas. Maybe my taste will change down the line though.

Welcome DudeInBlack!

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Let's talk brim edges. What are the pros and cons of each style and/or what's you're own personal preference?

For Reference:
Raw Edge
(Under)Welt Edge

Bound Edge

Etc...

(P.S.: Oh, and first post, I guess. Truly a blessing to have found this place. I hope you don't mind a rookie around these parts. :) )

Good to see some new blood around here :) Except for my Western felt, the rest of my felts are all bound brims and my Panama's are back woven :)

DudeInBlack

Familiar Face
Aw shucks, thanks guys. :D

I'm actually preparing to invest in my first "real" fedora and wanted some feedback. My cheap off-the-rack, C-crown Jaxon woolie has a simple underwelt, so I don't really have experience with the other edge types.

Thinking raw might be the way to go since that seems to be the standard. Bound feels a bit too flashy (for now anyways).

And once again, thank you for having me.

ejbhats

A-List Customer
Great first post DudeInBlack and welcome!
My preference is a bound edge. I do have others but... any other brim treatment is like wearing shoelaces w/o the plastic tips!
One exception to that is a panama. Don't have one in a bound edge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou