Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bow Ties

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
If you get a chance to see Boardwalk Empire you'll see one Chalky White wearing a great selection of bows; and well tied they are....

broadway-limited-1024.jpg

Torpedo

One Too Many
I found these beauties on sale yesterday.

Bugsy, I like the two at left specially.

As for me, here you have a pic of my latest batch. I have put the blue bowtie with small red pattern besides a green one I already had, because, as it happens, they have a strikingly similar, but not quite the same, rosette-shaped pattern, it being slightly larger in the green bow tie.

DSC01035.jpg

Last edited:

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Torpedo, I think I have that same bow as on the far right. It's one of my favourites. I just need to find one with a white rose pattern (I live in Yorkshire, after all!)

Bugsy

One Too Many
Bugsy, I like the two at left specially.

As for me, here you have a pic of my latest batch. I have put the blue bowtie with small red pattern besides a green one I already had, because, as it happens, they have a strikingly similar, but not quite the same, rosette-shaped pattern, it being slightly larger in the green bow tie.

DSC01035.jpg

Those are all great, Torpedo. We should have a bowtie convention somewhere--all of us.

Torpedo

One Too Many
Just out of curiosity... what are your habits, if any, regarding bow ties?

Do you wear them at random? Just for the weekends? Only in special ocassions? Do you reserve them for casual fridays? Or what?

I rotate them with my regular (long) ties. No special schedule, it just depends on my mood or what colours/patterns I am combining. I do expressly wear a bow tie when I am required at court as an expert witness.

This said, I am considering switching completely to bow ties only, for work. They are really more practical, they do not get in the way, and they are safer as far as soiling is concerned. I have collected enough of them to be able to display a good selection, too, and not having to repeat them often, which for me is a consideration.

(BTW, they are much of a trademark for me, also, my use of bow ties leaving more of an impression than my use of "normal" ties; I rarely wear my hats in the course of my duties, so they do not count there - although I wear them to and from my workplace).

Last edited:

Big_e

Practically Family
Same for me in that I have no specific schedule to wear them. I wear a uniform at work so I'm restricted there. When I'm off and on weekends, it's basically whatever I grab, bowtie or regular tie. I do make it a point to always wear some type of neckwear any time I'm not working and step out of the house.
Ernest

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I wear a bowtie every friday on account of Bowtie Fridays (or maybe that is the other way around), and it is kinda up in the air when else I wear them. If I am wearing a suit it depends on my mood.

Torpedo

One Too Many
This bow tie is probably 60's, attending to its design; these more whimsical patterns seem to be more commonly found as clip-on, but this is self-styled. I received two compliments on it from two female co-workers, one actually remarking that, although she usually did not like bow ties, this one was "different". This is something I have noticed before; less traditional patterns are more favourably received by some people, because they perceive that as giving some fresh air to what is regarded as an "obsolete" piece of dress.

DSC00997.jpg

DSC01036b.jpg

Last edited:

Tommy

One of the Regulars
Anybody else planning on wearing a bow tie to the family thanksgiving dinner? I would appreciate thoughts from the ladies and gents on the appropriateness of wearing a bow tie to a family thanksgiving dinner. I realize get together's vary from family to family, but I'm really feeling the urge to bow tie it this Thanksgiving.

AntonAAK

Practically Family
I'm thinking of wearing one for Christmas dinner with family.

I've been collecting a few of these over the past year or so but haven't worn one to work yet. I like the idea of Bow Tie Friday.

One of the things that has put me off is the new Dr Who wearing them. Just when I was thinking how nice it would be to wear a bow tie from time to time and had taught myself to tie them, along comes another cultural reference that people would assume you are trying to emulate.

Torpedo

One Too Many
No Thanksgiving celebration here in Spain, but I plan to wear a new bowtie for each of Christmas "special" days. A couple I have already on the way, the others I am thinking of yet. Initially, my idea is not about "novelty" patterns, withpenguins or Santas or that sort of thing (well, maybe one of them, if discreet enough), but more about Christmas-associated colours or a generic "festive" pattern.

Scotty, there are plenty of paisley patterned bowties over the 'net. Bow Tie Club and Beau Ties, to name but two, have a good number of them. You can also find them used, vintage or not, but maybe not when you are looking for them... :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters