Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bow Ties

1.jpg

From last Christmas after finally figuring out how to tie one!

Nicely tied.:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Sam Craig

One Too Many
I like to wear a small bowtie, preferably diamond point, above a simple sweather vest.
DANG, though, they are hard to find and expensive.
There used to be a mens store in my small town that carried them, about the same price as a straight tie, and they had all sorts of patterns.
Of course, that was 30 years ago.
But I should have bought a bale of them then.

Sam

Johnnysan

One Too Many
Thanks for the compliments, gentlemen! I must admit being a bit self-conscious when wearing a bow tie. Given your comments, I need to be less so!

I've posted this before, but this YouTube video is the one that finally helped me to figure out how to tie a bow tie.

Feraud

Bartender
I like to wear a small bowtie, preferably diamond point, above a simple sweather vest.
There used to be a mens store in my small town that carried them, about the same price as a straight tie, and they had all sorts of patterns.

Sam
I have not yet purchased from this place but they might have what you are looking for.
http://thecordialchurchman.bigcartel.com/

Big_e

Practically Family

Sam

Bow tie club http://www.bowtieclub.com/ sells ties with your choice of the standard butterfly, diamond point or my favorite, straight edge.
Ernest

Here's a great instructional video on YouTube. It saved me from endless frustration...I only wished that I had come across it sooner! :)

Yup, that's about the clearest, most succinct tutorial I've yet to come across. He makes simple two otherwise easy-to-flub steps: 1.) to "snap" the initial bow aside to expose the "hole" through which the second bow will pass, and 2.) to pass the top end of that second bow through the hole, NOT the middle of it, and NOT the loose end of it.

Bing. Bang. Boom. Works like a charm.

Last edited:

Torpedo

One Too Many
Two from these past few days... including the Friday one... :D

DSC01052.jpg

DSC01057b.jpg

Both are batwing style. The red plaid one is fairly thick - this means it is difficult for "dimples" to form each side of the loop, or for wrinkles to appear in the loop itself, both of which are features I favour.

Feraud

Bartender
I read the faq and see an enthusiasm and willingness to work with a customer.
They will convert old neckties and use your material. If you have a vintage tie that has seen better days you may salvage a bowtie from it.

Greyfox

One of the Regulars
Great link. It doesn't get any easier than that. Wished I had seen it years ago. Would have made things a lot easier and wearing bow ties more frequent. I need a few more so I just ordered a couple from Beau Ties LTD.

Nebraska Schulte

Familiar Face
Two from these past few days... including the Friday one... :D

DSC01052.jpg

DSC01057b.jpg

Both are batwing style. The red plaid one is fairly thick - this means it is difficult for "dimples" to form each side of the loop, or for wrinkles to appear in the loop itself, both of which are features I favour.

Excellent ties--I particularly like the ensemble of tie, fedora, and trench coat in the second photo! :eusa_clap BTW, what kind of fedora is that? Looks great!

Big_e

Practically Family
Great look Greyfox. Torpedo your style is always perfection. I like those kinda of ties, the batwing or straight edge best
Ernest

Nebraska Schulte

Familiar Face
Once I get a decent working camera again, I'll see about posting photos of one of my "Community Rule" bow ties from the Dead Sea Scrolls Foundation. The couple of photos I have from my phone just don't have good enough resolution to see the writing.

best wishes,
NS

Edward_Lindey

One of the Regulars
Well after trying for hours and watching the you-tube video I allmost gave up. Then I heard at the begining of the video where the Haberdashery was located and realized I was less then ten miles from the store. A quick trip and a lesson llater and I can tie my own bow ties. Now I just need to get a couple of them on the cheep. All I have right now is a black silk one that picked up to go with my dress uniform. Thank you for the assistance,

Edward

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner